Abbas Kiarostami

Started by Johnny Cusavo, July 20, 2003, 07:52:41 PM

Johnny Cusavo

Master in Iranian cinema. This director is great and I want to know what others think of his work. In these past years of discovering obscure films on DVD and videotape I came across one's by this director. The first was Taste of Cherry. From then on I always made a point to see as many of his films I possibly could. I have never seen one that hasn't truly inspired me to go out and make movies. The last one I saw was his documentary on the Aids crisis in Africa. This was a truly astounding watch. I was lucky enough to see a screening of it at the Freer museum in Washington D.C, which has a great theatre, showing new and old films from all over the world. I highly recommend it.
The name of his newest film is Ten. Shot on DV, just like the documentary he did. Has anyone seen it yet..? And what about the shorts he's made..?
I want to hear from any other fans out there who will share their thoughts.
Thanks.

mutinyco

I saw Ten. I thought it was an interesting idea, but ultimately grew kind of tedious. The entire movie consists of static shots of a woman driving different people places.

Thought it was funny that in Taste of Cherry he was driving around for the entire day, but the entire day seemed to be happening at magic hour.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

chainsmoking insomniac

Yeah, isn't that funny?
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

SoNowThen

didn't mind Taste Of Cherry. It's not really my kind of cinema (I like minimal, but not THAT minimal), but I can respect it. He's got a nice calm tone to his work -- not really in relation to, but in a bizarre way reminds me of the way Wes Anderson has his characters speak. I dunno.

I think now though this fellow is getting praised a little too much just for the nothingness of his flicks. 2 camera angles or whatever, hmmm, just seems like it would be an exercise in boredom. I'm sure there's some good ideas to think about, but I'd like a little drama and story and character arc. Must be all those 80's movies I watched growing up... you just can't get away from Hollywood story expectations... :)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Xixax

Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]