Conan's the man!

Started by ono, October 16, 2003, 11:38:17 PM

Stefen

I hadn't played a Mario since Mario World and I bought Galaxy and was sorely disappointed that you couldn't eat Mushrooms and get big or grab a leaf and get a tail. I hope they bring that style back someday.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

diggler

anyone see them address this on the show last night? i was remarking to my friend about it and right after that conan brought it up. hilarious.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Stefen

Quote from: ddiggler on June 06, 2009, 11:26:57 AM
anyone see them address this on the show last night? i was remarking to my friend about it and right after that conan brought it up. hilarious.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Conan O'Brien's ratings slip, but race with David Letterman is just starting

On June 1, the premiere of "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien" began with a filmed piece that found the tall, skinny host, dressed in suit and tie, jogging across America to get to his new studio in Universal City.

But O'Brien might need to pick up the pace. After a strong start in the ratings, "Tonight" is already slipping behind CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman," the rival program that O'Brien's predecessor Jay Leno defeated handily for years.

On Tuesday night, Letterman edged past O'Brien in the overnight household ratings (3.4 rating/8 share vs. 2.9 rating/7 share) for the first time since O'Brien took over his show, according to data from Nielsen Media Research. More troubling for NBC, "Tonight" has also lost significant chunks of audience with each airing since the premiere, when it scored a hefty 7.1 rating/17 share. "Tonight's" numbers since late last week have been well below Leno's overnight average during the first three months of this year (4.1 rating/10 share). Letterman's numbers, meanwhile, are landing within his usual range (3.0 rating/7 share for the first quarter). 

Those figures don't tell the whole story, though. O'Brien's premiere was heavily promoted, so a steep drop-off in viewers afterward was to be expected. Also, the NBA Finals on ABC have disrupted some local programming around the country. And maybe most important, while Leno's audience skewed old for a late-night program, NBC points out that O'Brien is strongest among young adults. It won't be clear how well the host is hanging on to those viewers until the complete ratings for O'Brien's first week are published Thursday. It's likely that, even with his declines, O'Brien will still emerge stronger among young people than Leno was. And given that rates for most TV ads are determined by a program's success in wooing viewers under 50, that may be more than enough for NBC.

The real battle is just beginning. Late-night rating trends tend to shift slowly, as viewers develop loyalties for this or that host over months or years. When Letterman took over his CBS show in 1993, he initially racked up big victories over Leno, but within a few years emerged as the perpetual runner-up.

The chaotic late-night race today bears little resemblance to that era. In the fall, NBC will launch a new 10 p.m. weeknight show with Leno. The impact of that program on O'Brien's ratings is yet to be seen. Meanwhile, both Letterman and O'Brien will have to keep an eye over their shoulders for ABC's Jimmy Kimmel, who after a touch-and-go start seems to have become a long-term player for the network. And of course broadcasters continue to shed late-night viewers to Adult Swim, Comedy Central and other alternatives.

In other words, in his race to stay atop the late-night ratings, O'Brien has not one but many rivals.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

which means everyone on this board should be watching.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

matt35mm

Quote from: SiliasRuby on June 10, 2009, 10:18:37 PM
which means everyone on this board should be watching.

Except who has a Nielson box?

RegularKarate

Quote from: matt35mm on June 11, 2009, 07:37:42 AM

Except who has a Nielson box?

haha... i just got chosen as a Nielson household... don't know if I'm going to do it though.

cine

Conan's got triple the amount of young viewers than Letterman. NBC is happy is with that. and NBC wins because those fogies who liked Leno will get him again this fall.

SiliasRuby

Did anyone see Norm on Conan last night? AWESOME!
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ono

Coco just lost a couple hundred thousand cool points letting Paris Hilton grace his show.  Irony.  Whatever.  Luckily he's got a few trillion to spare.

Bethie

Conan and Slash has been the best bit so far. I about died. Conan's face when he enters that man's home, "I'm just curious where are the bodies?" and the guy asked Conan "how tall are you?" why..

"$290 or I'll call the fire department! They'll close you down!"

yeah I just watched again and this will NEVER get old.
who likes movies anyway

Fernando

Heads up ppl, tomorrow Larry David will be on conan!

Kal

matt35mm

I miss Joel.

And I wish Andy had more to do.

ono

Ditto on the Joel-missage.  My bro and I were talking about how much we miss Coco's and Max's banter, and we want very much to experience another Small Talk Moment.