Fargo - Special Edition DVD

Started by Finn, September 27, 2003, 03:38:31 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Exactly, I feel like I have to be extra careful with it.  I want to see someone's picture on the the thing, the word Fargo, or something!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Finn

A picture on top would have been nice. I know a lot of people around here will probably disagree, but I really like that it's double-sided because then you can choose between widescreen and fullscreen. That's one of the things I really liked about the Hard Eight DVD. I've watched it many times on both formats and it's interesting to compare.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

nix

I never have a reason to watch a film other than the way the filmmakers inteded it to look. I would have preferred a pretty picture too. Like Buciemi holding his face after he got shot. You know, right before he says, "You should see the other guy". :twisted:
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Gold Trumpet

For some movies, I don't mind watching it full frame instead of wide. I bought Animal House full frame because thats all that was available at the store. I could have just went to a better store but I couldn't imagine widescreen really enhancing my experience. A movie like Scarface on the other hand, thats a definite widescreen only.

If this was a year ago, I'd be buying this disc. I just don't have any appreciation for the film anymore. Its by far better than all the other Coens work because it is without the absurd trickery more than the others, but it still has the ploys that aren't needed. The movie finds a cliche in that these people speak funny and exploits and considering I am from a similiar area, it annoys me even more. Not everyone talks that goofy and its really only a small minority but for some reason, the Coen's blew it up to comedy levels in a very serious film. Yet again the Coens ruin a movie with purposely trying to add a level of farce to something serious. They don't look at one environment and try to play with that world and make one seem to come out of the other, they just add tones and make it uneven where an element like farce takes away from the serious side of the film.The Coen brothers aren't great or even good artists, they are kids at the head of class in film school showing off.

~rougerum

nix

Couldn't disagree with you more. :evil:
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Ravi

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetFor some movies, I don't mind watching it full frame instead of wide. I bought Animal House full frame because thats all that was available at the store. I could have just went to a better store but I couldn't imagine widescreen really enhancing my experience. A movie like Scarface on the other hand, thats a definite widescreen only.

If the only DVD available is open matte or pan-and-scan, I know a widescreen one is coming someday, so I wait for that one instead.

(Still waiting for The Jerk...)

dnthmn

Can't wait for this to come out, i have been holding out and have not bought the old one a couple of times.

Keep Well,
Dan

dufresne

GT, the Coens themselves were born and raised in Minnesota and we all know they don't talk like that.  

too bad you were felt insulted.
There are shadows in life, baby.

NEON MERCURY

GT..also in the doc.  they mentioned how they wanted certain aspects(ie dialect) to feel like a"character"(minnnesota) in itself in the film.....

meatball

Quote from: dnthmnCan't wait for this to come out, i have been holding out and have not bought the old one a couple of times.

Keep Well,
Dan

What's your avatar from?  :twisted:

Quote from: meatball
Quote from: dnthmnCan't wait for this to come out, i have been holding out and have not bought the old one a couple of times.

Keep Well,
Dan

What's your avatar from?  :twisted:

Se7en
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Also.. Im glad I waited for the special edition version...

I listened to the commentary and watched the trvia... it's interesting information.. Everything listed on imdb is covered, plus a lot more.  Even as simple as how many cierras were made in a certian year.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"