Male/Female Duets

Started by polkablues, June 05, 2014, 01:50:42 AM

polkablues

I was scrolling through my iTunes library earlier today, and realized that a lot of my most-played songs are male/female duets. I'm not sure what specifically draws me to them. In some songs, the drama created by the interplay between the two parts is almost cinematic in a way that pop songs rarely are. It lets the song tell a story without becoming a "story song," a genre of music I typically hate.

Some of my favorites (then everybody post your own!):

This is the single most-played song on my iPod, and that's probably because it's one of the best songs every written and recorded. Evocative as a motherfucker.

Forget how many times you've heard it and how much you got sick of it, this is a fucking fantastic song and Gotye and Kimbra's voices are magic together.

Probably the best pop song of 2013. Two great voices, a great melody, and better than average lyrics for a top-40 hit (though a bit literal for my usual taste).

Just a beautiful, haunting song. Lisa Hannigan's voice is so soft and melancholy, it makes the song feel like a man chasing after the fading memory of a lost love.

No real defense of this song, it just makes me happy. Most of these songs are breakup/lost love songs, this one almost oozes optimism by comparison.

A two-part epic by Margot & the Nuclear So and So's, which I believe are the only two songs in their catalogue where Emily Watkins got to do anything other than quietly sing backup, which is a shame, because the dynamic between them makes for an amazing pair of songs.

The power of Pete Yorn is that he can almost make Scarlett Johansson's illusions of being a serious music artist seem plausible.

The best breakup song of all time.

My house, my rules, my coffee

Lottery

First/best one that comes to mind.

polkablues

Both great songs. I love Imogen Heap, but I'd somehow never heard the IAMX song before.

One that I had forgotten to add to my original post:

My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger is a goldmine of male/female duets.

Super obvious one, but gorgeous:

A number of Mates of State songs could qualify, depending on what you consider to be background vocals. But here's a good one. I love the way they sing over each other:

Obligatory Shiny Toy Guns song:

Might as well throw in a cover too:

Last but not least (and not available on YouTube), Low - Always Fade:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/always-fade/id218344896?i=218346401

samsong

i can groove on this forever.  one of my kids will be conceived to this song.

for slow-dancing in the attic.

impossible to pick one from these two so here's two performed live for npr.  haunting harmonies, staggering musicianship.

not quite male/female, but not far off either, definitely amazing.

roy orbison's my dude.  emmylou harris is the alpha gilf.

i love standards (though this song barely qualifies), and i enjoy bossa nova covers a la nouvelle vague:

the best part of down with love. ewan mcgregor should sing more often.

that time zooey deschanel dialed back the twee and delivered a soulful, bluesy cover of one of my favorite songs with m ward.

loved this movie, love this song.  i don't give a fuck.