Steve McQueen

Started by wilder, August 16, 2011, 04:05:03 PM

wilder

Brad Pitt to Produce Drama 'Twelve Years a Slave' With Steve McQueen Directing
via The Hollywood Reporter

Chiwetel Ejiofor is attached to star in the adaptation of an autobiography written by Solomon Northup. Brad Pitt and his Plan B banner are tackling the subject of slavery with an adaptation of Twelve Years a Slave, an autobiography written in 1853 by Solomon Northup, a free black man who became enslaved. Steve McQueen, who co-wrote and directed the acclaimed 2008 drama Hunger, is directing the adaptation while Chiwetel Ejiofor, the British actor who has appeared in movies such as Salt and Inside Man, is attached to the part of Northup. McQueen co-wrote the script with John Ridley.

Northup was a married and educated free black man living in New York when two men approached him with a job offer in Washington. When he showed up in D.C., he was kidnapped and put in a slave pen, paving the way to his grueling life under numerous owners. The book is studied for everything from its details of the slave markets that existed in D.C. to the type of food served to slaves. Northup was able to secure his freedom when a white carpenter from Canada, who didn't believe in slavery, was able to smuggle out letters to Northup's wife, initiating a court case that saw him set free.

CAA is arranging the financing and repping the North American distribution rights.

McQueen, repped by CAA, has Shame in the can. The drama, which will premiere at the Venice Film Festival, reunites McQueen with his Hunger star Michael Fassbender and also stars Carey Mulligan. Hunger won McQueen the Golden Camera prize at the Cannes Film Festival.

Reel

it's so cool that we got another black writer-director. Spike Lee was starting to bore the shit outta me.

72teeth

The Hughes Brothers are spinning in their bunk beds
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Cloudy

I'm surprised more people on this board aren't absolutely in love with this dude. What do most of you think of him? I want to quote wilderesque because he expresses my fever for McQueen's vision much more eloquently than I can. He's talking about Hunger:

QuoteIt achieves something I think a lot of us look for...an invisible glue holding a movie together that just "feels right" and transcends concrete structure. It's what I feel movies do best as a medium, and very few films seem to get there. Parts of TWBB do it...Terrence Malick certainly does it. I'm thinking specifically of the scene with the riot police inside the penitentiary growing louder and louder, beating one prisoner over and over...it becomes a total visceral experience but communicates something beyond the surface meaning of the images on screen.

I really like it when a movie is working for me on all cylinders and I can't exactly explain why. Maybe it's something I'll come back to in the future and see under the skirt of, like when you're younger and can't completely understand the mechanism that makes a movie you love tick...that mystery fuels your interest and you revisit the movie over and over until you start to understand the tricks and the mystery is gone...and then start going deeper and looking for films that can still pull the wool over your eyes with their technique.

We need to get the excitement churning for Twelve Years a Slave".

ElPandaRoyal

I'm 2 for 2 when it comes to his movies. Hunger was a great debut, and Shame was the best film of 2011. I'm in love with his talent with composing and pacing, which I read before on these boards to be boring which I think is bullshit. What I like in his extended shots, especially in Shame, is that they tend to make us really unconfortable, shameful if you will. I agree, there are always lots of things going on under the surface in these, and his work with the actors certainly helps with that.

Si

Lottery

Shame was pretty. But kinda eh.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Lottery on April 28, 2013, 03:21:59 AM
Shame was pretty. But kinda eh.

Well, I don't see nothing pretty in that movie at all.
Si

Lottery

Aesthetically. A little morose, but in a pretty way.

jenkins

i <3 shame. cinematically it was time appropriate. dramatically it was different, ignored. but i was into the drama, i think it was his (the character's) emotions that were depicted, and the audience can be ok with it not being their own. i like melodramas. k. idk. i <3 shame

max from fearless

Steve McQueen Drama Lands HBO Pilot Order, Casts Its Star
1:00 PM PDT 10/14/2014 by Lesley Goldberg - Hollywood Reporter

Nearly a year after it was first put in development, HBO is moving forward with its Steve McQueen drama.

The premium cable network has handed out a pilot order to Codes of Conduct and tapped newcomer Devon Terrell to star, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Codes of Conduct is described as a provocative exploration of a young African-American man's experience entering New York high society, with a past that may not be what it seems.

Terrell will star as Beverly Snow, a young man from Queens who is as talented as he is ambiguous. His self-confidence enables him to break into the social circles of Manhattan's elite, testing the boundaries of access and social mobility. Throughout the series, Beverly's ability will grant him access to a life larger in every way than the one into which he was born. His chameleon-like approach to life will test his nerve as he takes his future into his own hands.

McQueen (12 Years a Slave) co-wrote the pilot script alongside World War Z's Matthew Michael Carnahan. Both will exec produce alongside See-Saw Films' Iain Canning and Emile Sherman (The King's Speech, Top of the Lake) and Russell Simmons, via the latter's overall deal with HBO. McQueen will direct the pilot, his first foray into television. Canning and Sherman produced McQueen's Shame, with the former also exec producing the Oscar winner's feature debut, Hunger.

"I needed to find an extraordinary actor," McQueen said of casting the lead. "Although you're trying to find something you recognize, it's more about finding something you're surprised by. Devon had this quality. It was no easy task casting the character of Beverly Snow and, with the help of HBO, we left no stone unturned. This was a 10-month intense process in which we came across many talented actors, but only one Beverly."

Rebecca Hall and Helena Bonham Carter have also been cast.