Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

MacGuffin

Christopher Nolan's 'Following' Gets Criterion Treatment, 'Qatsi' Trilogy, 'Purple Noon' & More Coming In December
Source: Playlist

Yes, Christopher Nolan has now been minted with the wacky C. Everyone's favorite boutique label has unveiled their December slate, and as usual, they play it quiet at the end of the year, but there are more than enough highlights to make the cinephile on your Christmas list happy.
So let's get to Nolan's debut film, "Following," which will get a fresh reissue. While it has been widely available on DVD, devotees of the director will want to pick this up as it will boast a fresh new transfer as supervised by Nolan, as well as the commentary with the director that we're guessing has been ported over. But there will also be a new interview with Nolan along with the chronological version of the film, a comparison of three scenes to script, the director's short "Doodlebug" and more. It will make a great two-fer with the likely "The Dark Knight Rises" release also in December.

Next up, if you're looking for something a bit trippier, Godfrey Reggio's "Qatsi" trilogy will do the trick. Presented in a box set, Criterion brings together "Koyaanisqatsi," "Powaqqatsi" and "Naquoyqatsi," the trio of films that explored life on this planet from a variety of angles. And this thing is extra packed. Among the highlights is the 40-minute demo version of "Koyaanisqatsi," complete with a score by Allen Ginsberg. There is also the short "Anima Mundi" scored by frequent collaborator Philip Glass, interviews, making-of vidoes and many more. If you want to give that home entertainment unit a workout, this is the way to go.

Meanwhile, for those looking to reach a bit further back, Rene Clement's sunny sizzler "Purple Noon" is also getting the treatment. As folks already know, this is the first book by Patricia Highsmith to be adapated into a movie, and essentially, it's the first version of "The Talented Mr. Ripley." Alain Delon plays the American with designs on a other man and a different life and he turns in  a performance worth remembering. As for extras, there's just a few interviews, but this is one you'll want to have on your shelf.

Last, Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" gets an update from Criterion's already stellar 3 disc-set DVD set to a 2 disc BluRay. Both versions of the movie -- Gilliam's final cut and the 94 minute studio version -- will appear, along with in depth documentaries and more. If you don't have it already, it's definitely worth picking up.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I initially misread it as Purple Rain. I suppose Purple Noon will have to do, though.

MacGuffin

Criterion's January Line-Up Includes Hitchcock's 'The Man Who Knew Too Much,' Wim Wenders' 'Pina' & A Lot Of Blu
Source: Playlist

Once you've spent Grandma's Christmas money and overdosed on holiday turkey, January might be a rough month in more ways than one. So Criterion is going a bit easier on you to kick off the New Year, though there are still enough titles that will prove to be enticing for any money left on gift cards you might have kicking around.

The boutique label will be dropping Alfred Hitchcock's original 1934 "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (which he remade in 1956 with James Stewart) and as usual, extras abound. Geeks will be pleased to find an extra with none other than Guillermo del Toro talking about the film, along with the usual grab bag of stuff including a commentary, an excerpt of François Truffaut's famed interviews with Hitchock, another extensive interview with the filmmaker and more. Kidnapping and spies collide and also? Peter Lorre, who always rules.

Criterion will also start off the year with their first 3D release thanks to Wim Wenders' celebrated dance doc "Pina." It will arrive on DVD, but those of you wanting three dimensions, a Blu-ray combo pack will also be available. Deleted scenes, commentary, behind-the-scenes footage and more will be featured.

As for the rest of January? It's re-releases, mostly. Volker Schlondorff's "The Tin Drum" returns with a brand new restoration while Andrei Tarkovsky's "Ivan's Childhood" and Monte Hellman's "Two Lane Blacktop" get upgraded to Blu.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Criterion made a halloween costume contest, here's the 15 finalist.

Facebook link.

some of those are really good....

MacGuffin

Criterion Adds Terrence Malick's 'Badlands,' Robert Bresson's 'A Man Escaped,' Fritz Lang & More For March 2013 Released

Going on spring break this year?Well, you might want to shorten the trip or dip into the budget, because Criterion is coming for you in March full throttle with an auteur heavy line up, led by the one and only Terrence Malick.

While the director remains in the shadows, refusing to discuss his films, The Criterion Collection is probably the next best thing. Following "Days Of Heaven," and rumored for a while, the boutique label is finally bringing Malick's debut feature "Badlands" to the collection. Sorry, no director's commentary, but you will get a documentary on the making of the film with stars Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek, along with production designer Jack Fisk. Editor Billy Weber will talk about cutting the picture, Edward Pressman will discuss producing, and you'll be able to gaze at the newly restored movie and toss out your battered bare bones WB disc.

Meanwhile, Playlist fave Robert Bresson's "A Man Escaped" gets the wacky C. The thrilling jailbreak film (which, as always, is about so much more) will come packed with a documentary, vintage TV special, visual essays and much more. And speaking of thrillers, Fritz Lang's "Ministry Of Fear" gets the bare bones treatment, but that shouldn't dissaude you from checking out the WWII set picture. In short these two would make a great pair in your shopping bag.

Charlie Chaplin's late career, starkly black comedy "Monsieur Verdoux" is getting spruced up and it's a must see for anyone who wants to see a different side of the silent era comedian. Chaplin plays a man who murders rich women for their money to support his family, and as you might imagine, the picture plays heavily on his own image. And it will come with lots of extras including a 2003 program about the film, a documentary, video essay and much more.

Finally, getting Blu-Ray upgrades are Powell & Pressburgers's "The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp" and the stone cold classic "The Blob."

Skeleton FilmWorks

samsong

Kellen

I'll still be purchasing it because it's one of my favorite films but I'm not really a fan of the Badlands cover

jenkins

Another all-genre snoozer month of obvious classics.

samsong

jenkins

I hope I go partially blind and miss your burnt-out-cinephile-who-clings-to-the-obvious posts.

samsong

as long as it means you can't type your desperately esoteric cries for approval.  but i'd rather you just went blind.  also, cancer.  of the dick.

jenkins

Dude. Come on. Let's keep it on the movies, please.

The Internet is stupid and ugly. We know it. Is that this place? Doesn't seem like it, overall.

Confess a bias here. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? Cause I don't like the same movies???

Jeremy Blackman

Yikes. Let's not start wishing cancer on people. Future posts like that will be deleted.

samsong

will the same rule apply to all terminal illnesses?

trash, my initial comment was a fairly stock response (one might say obvious) to a generalized dismissal of widely regarded classics, and if it wasn't clear it was meant for comedic effect then i strongly recommend hanging out with more affable people.  your defensive retort was clearly an attempt at a personal dig and so i responded in the only way i thought was appropriate.  to wish a slow, painful death upon you. 

i'm a facetious person.  i'm also more than willing to exchange unpleasantries with anyone, but not if they're going to go crying the moment i bring up cancer.

jenkins

like, come on. COME ON. let's cut the deck, my friend.

if i seemed dismissive toward the movies (which, actually, think I do, I see that), apologies. it's the movies i care about.

in that sense, criterion is great for the 'burbs, and for 'collectors' and like people who tell people to go blind.

other people plain and pure want to see a distributor raise hell, just like they want to see moviemakers raise hell. i'm talking about me, of course. i'm talking about pushing cinema. i don't think it's very very important for criterion to reissue classics on blu-ray. classics are classics. i think we need daring distributors who care about more than popular regard.

i'm not an objectivist, i'm an artist. that means i'm an idiot too, let's be real. i disregard data, or whatever. no offense.

but come on. you went overboard to appear cool. let's talk movies. please! sorry if i ignited this crap.