The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

diggler

Quote from: Fernando on November 17, 2011, 12:30:39 PM
as far as the shows I'm seeing right now, the only one worth it is Homeland*

That is a great great show, and probably should have it's own thread here.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I'm gonna give it up for this week's episode, "Secrets".  As lame a title as it was, it had the best acting and let all that tension the season has had boil up to the forefront.  Finally people get to show some acting chops instead of "forced intensity" which is what most of the show has been lately.

I still hate that the guy who plays Herschel doesn't ever move his eyebrows and that they're dragging out the Sophia plot almost as long as "Waaaaaalt!", but then they knew Walt wasn't getting eaten and Sophia could definitely be (walking?) dead.  FINALLY this show didn't suck for the most part since the first couple episodes.

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah, this was possibly the best episode yet. Gone are the forced, drawn-out, unintentionally funny emotional manipulations. In their place are genuinely good character moments. It's something the show has never done before. I never believed it would actually work.

I was particularly shocked to see Rick have good character moments. Well done.

A few minor complaints I guess...

- What the crap? The morning after pill is not an abortion pill. Once you're pregnant, especially THAT pregnant, it's not going to do anything. The pills contain hormones, not magical baby poison. (Just looked it up, and the largest window you could possibly hope for with the morning after pill is up to 5 days after the event.) This is sort of acknowledged within the show (Glenn asks doubtfully if they're actually going to work), however every moment after that treats this as an actual dramatic device, as if it matters whether she takes or doesn't take the pills, or vomits them up or whatever. It's not going to make any difference. She is pregnant.

- Maggie's emotions throughout the episode were a bit cartoonish. It's funny that it had to happen when everyone else improved their acting.

- Dale was uncharacteristically aggressive. Maybe that's his thing now. It does make sense that he's reached that point, having learned at least 3 unsettling things this episode. That's fine, and I kind of like it, but my complaint is his confrontation with Shane. He just seemed too specific, especially with his insinuations about Otis. And he said that Shane had been vague about Otis, which isn't true at all. (Shane told his conveniently adjusted story in full logistical detail at the funeral.)

- When Rick said to Lori "you thought I was dead, right?" why did she take so long to confirm?

- Yeah, at this point, I honestly hope Sophia is zombified and they have to take her out as she enters the camp. Even better, she wanders in under the cover of night and Hershel corrals her into the barn.

diggler

I too was shaking my head at the morning after pill scenario. Do they really think people are that stupid? I guess it's an easier story to pull off than Lori convincing Dale to do the coat hanger thing...
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

Actually, I bet Hershel performed his share of abortions back in the day.

And then he reformed. "Life begins at zombification!"

polkablues

Quote from: ddiggler on November 21, 2011, 11:25:32 AM
I too was shaking my head at the morning after pill scenario. Do they really think people are that stupid? I guess it's an easier story to pull off than Lori convincing Dale to do the coat hanger thing...

If anything, this show has made it entirely plausible that Lori, Rick, Glenn, and Maggie are all clueless and misinformed about how morning-after pills work.  And realistically, they're all from small towns in the South; I live in a major, highly-liberal city, and I know COLLEGE GRADUATES who believe that morning-after pills are the same as an abortion.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah, except the episode treated it as an actual dramatic device with an uncertain outcome.

Also in that final scene between Rick and Lori, I think our takeaway is supposed to be "hmm well obviously she does still want the baby because she vomited up the pills," not "lawl they're both stupid, it doesn't matter, and she just vomited for no reason."

polkablues

A good point.  And the fact is, there actually is a prescription drug called mifepristone that will terminate a pregnancy after the egg has implanted in the uterus.  That the writers used the morning-after pill instead does suggest that they themselves didn't know the difference.  And that it could make it through the writers, producers, director, and actors without a single person stopping them and saying "that's not how that works" is kind of depressing.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

And I somehow recall complaining about Breaking Bad plot holes...

analogzombie

I enjoyed this episode more than the last but, the fact that the budget was slashed is really starting to show and I am SO tired of the Lori/Shane/Rick drama. The great thing about the graphic novels was that no one was safe. It's becoming clear that the central cast is zombie-proof.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Jeremy Blackman

Wow. Best episode yet. This show is officially good now. Talk about realizing its potential... this certainly did that. More of this, please.

Also, totally called it.

SPOILER

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on November 21, 2011, 02:54:17 AMI honestly hope Sophia is zombified and they have to take her out as she enters the camp. Even better, she wanders in under the cover of night and Hershel corrals her into the barn.

Did this happen in the comics, too?

cine

Quote from: analogzombie on November 22, 2011, 08:42:09 PM
The great thing about the graphic novels was that no one was safe. It's becoming clear that the central cast is zombie-proof.

or that the show is only 13 episodes in and they have no reason to shoot their wad right away??

i think the daughter getting killed is proof enough that nobody is safe.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cine on November 28, 2011, 02:12:01 PMi think the daughter getting killed is proof enough that nobody is safe.

Well, she wasn't really part of the central cast, but I guess that doesn't matter. She represented something very powerful, and the way that was destroyed was nearly perfect, and probably more powerful that one of the central cast members getting picked off (which still does need to happen).

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on November 28, 2011, 01:26:33 AM
Wow. Best episode yet. This show is officially good now. Talk about realizing its potential... this certainly did that. More of this, please.

Yeah, it hit all the emotional notes I hope to see on this show and gave us some Walker violence

My pulse was pounding at some points watching it first thing this morning, and this is pre-coffee, and I actually found myself choking up at the end in spite of my perspective on the show

You know, when we talk about the lack of "safeness" that this show requires, I have a sense that people were expecting this more consistently back when Frank Darabont was involved.  The Mist was the most despondent genre film I've seen in modern times.  (My dad said it was "made by sick people", and when he uses that term to express his distaste, this usually is a stamp of approval for me).
Well, I'm glad things are going in the direction they are going now.  It's a ZOMBIE show, for cryin' out loud.

Now let's just get off that damn farm!  It was well worth any build-up for this one here.

tpfkabi

I just watch it unable to form the strong good/bad episode opinions, but the Daryl/saddle scene was painful (as in not good).
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.