Down with DVDs!!!

Started by Xeditor, April 25, 2003, 10:03:18 AM

Xeditor

I hate DVDs! VHS forever!

Who's with me?
The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

©brad

well, that does it. it was only a matter of time. pointless thread overload... can't... take it...anymore....

Cecil

Tiff

the only thing i like about it is it's cheaper. cheap is good  :-D
"Shut the fuck up!"

Xeditor

We should have a VHS Talk section too.  It's only fair.
The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: XeditorWe should have a VHS Talk section too.  It's only fair.

Wauw, that's a great idea! I totally agree!   :shock:

Ernie

I actually still buy a vhs every once in a long fucking while...I got two on the way from amazon right now: she's gotta have it AND short cuts. I only buy films that haven't gotten a release on dvd of course. And I will buy these movies on dvd when/if they ever get a dvd.

I'm thinking about getting Raging Bull on vhs...sucks that the dvd had to go out of print.

Recce

It's  only a matter of time before DVD's are as cheap as VHS. Plus, DVD's last for like 100 years or something, no? You're collection can go one for like 4 generations. THINK OF YOUR CHILDREN, MAN!!! And your children's children, etc.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

sphinx

if you were wondering, officially:

Pressed discs (the kind that movies come on) last longer than you will, anywhere from 50 to 300 years.

Expected longevity of DVD-R and DVD+R discs is anywhere from 40 to 250 years, about as long as CD-R discs.

The erasable formats (DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW) have an expected lifetime of 25 to 100 years.

For comparison, magnetic media (tapes and disks) last 10 to 30 years; high-quality, acid-neutral paper can last 100 years or longer; and archival-quality microfilm is projected to last 300 years or more. Note that computer storage media often becomes technically obsolete within 20 to 30 years, long before it physically deteriorates. In other words, before the media becomes unviable it may become difficult or impossible to find equipment that can read it.