Apple is the best thing ever

Started by Kal, October 12, 2005, 02:59:39 PM

last days of gerry the elephant

Why don't you just invest in the 24" iMac? They're fantastic and greatly underrated. For the price you'll be paying for a mac book pro, you'll be getting a machine just as powerful, with a 1g saving.

Reinhold

Quote from: matt35mm on November 30, 2008, 12:10:59 AM
My current 5-year-old iBook G4 is about to die.  Any reason that anyone here knows of that I shouldn't buy one of the new 15-inch MacBook Pros?  I would like to be able to do HD editing on it.

I looked into a refurbished previous generation (which I think still would have been capable of HD editing), but it wasn't cheaper than using my student discount on a new one, so...

you might want to get the previous generation anyway if you'd like the firewire 400 ports instead of just the 800.

my june 2004 g5 tower just crashed on monday completely while trying to encode an HD project that i just finished for DVD-- until the new Mac Pros come out in (hopefully january but probably) march i'm stuck using my roommate's old acer laptop. i'm also an editor, and my recent problem has motivated me to do some research that may be able to help you make a decision:

when you say HD, do you mean 720p, 1080i60, HDV, or uncompressed? also, will you want to be running after effects or any other especially RAM hungry applications? the reason that i ask is that with newer operating systems, apps will be able to utilize a lot more than the current 4gb limit... so we'll start to see MBP's with 6gb RAM expansion, etc. also, final cut pro is getting a ground-up redesign right now and who knows what they'll be trying to make realtime for the next version.

if you're used to using an old laptop then any of the new models will be a huge upgrade, but if you can hold out for another few months until things are shipping with Snow Leopard in Q1 2009, you might see a promotion or even a chip upgrade although those are unlikely. if nothing else, though, you'd save $129 on the new OS.

check the buyer's guides at www.macrumors.com

edit: if you're doing straight cuts and not too much effects work, you should be fine for editing HD in any of the CODECs above on all recent generations of the MBP. if you're going to be doing much effects work or working with uncompressed HD for your final product, then i'd suggest making an offline copy of your project to get the timing worked out and then exporting an EDL to apply to your HD footage. even working online from the beginning, your new computer will be completely fine if you do as little compositing, etc as possible in high def. there are limits, though. for example, if you plan to be doing online cuts of HD projects much over 15 minutes, you will be running your computer pretty much at its max... count on longer-than-real time rendering and frustratingly long encodes down to SD.  still, everything related to final cut on a new machine has got to be a LOT faster than  on your current laptop

alt/option + P is your best friend if you don't want to work offline and don't necessarily need to see a render in real time.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

MacGuffin

Apple Announces iTunes Pricing Changes
Songs will now be available at three price points: 69 cents, 99 cents and $1.29.

At the Macworld Conference & Expo on Tuesday (January 6), Apple Vice President Philip Schiller revealed iTunes pricing changes and a new MacBook Pro, CNN reports.

Schiller explained that the new iTunes store will have pricing ranks, offering songs at three different price points: 69 cents, 99 cents and $1.29. More songs will be sold at the lower price point than at the higher, Schiller said. The pricing shift comes more than a year after Apple almost shut down its iTunes store in protest of a proposed royalty hike that would threaten the store's 99-cent price structure.

On top of several improvements to software offered by Apple — like Learn to Play, which will be a part of the new "Garage Band" — Schiller also announced plans for a 17-inch MacBook Pro notebook. It weighs in at 6.6 pounds and is less than 1-inch thick.

On top of its lightweight design, the notebook can last up to eight hours on a single charge and runs on less power than a light bulb. "This is the best display we've ever shipped in a notebook," Schiller said of the MacBook, which will cost around $2,800 and should arrive in stores later this month.

Schiller filled in for Steve Jobs, who has given the keynote address since 1997. Jobs pulled out of the appearance after word started to spread that he wasn't in the best of health. His absence had many attendees of the conference buzzing about what could be ailing the company's CEO. In 2004, Jobs was treated for pancreatic cancer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reinhold

what did you end up buying, matt?
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Reinhold

i ordered a new mac pro yesterday morning when they released the new line. it should ship by the end of the month.

Eight-core 2.66ghz Gainestown (Nehalem), 8gb RAM, 1tb 7200RPM (plus my existing drives), and the graphics card upgrade.

modage

Now available for your iPhone...

bookmark XIXAX and now you'll get a handy icon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

how fancy. good job.

can you do that with blackberry?

modage

good question!  you let me know how and i'll do it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

Quote from: modage on April 03, 2009, 08:15:37 AM
good question!  you let me know how and i'll do it.

hehe no clue, but i actually don't access xixax from the phone anyway. too small.

Kal

New iPhone, OSX and MacBook Pro's announced. Nothing groundbreaking. I'm sticking with the Berry Bold and my current MacBook for now.

http://www.apple.com

RegularKarate

Yeah, I was mostly just looking for confirmation of the new phone and the release date.

How possible do you guys think it will be to get one of the new phones without having to stand in line all morning at the mall?  How long until that's not necessary?

Kal

Quote from: RegularKarate on June 08, 2009, 02:42:02 PM
Yeah, I was mostly just looking for confirmation of the new phone and the release date.

How possible do you guys think it will be to get one of the new phones without having to stand in line all morning at the mall?  How long until that's not necessary?

I think the lines will be a lot smaller now.

1) economy
2) lack of huge changes for average iPhone users. the last one featured 3G and it was a big change on the outside/inside, this one not so much.
3) A lot of people who upgraded cannot qualify once again for an upgrade so quickly.

Reinhold

Quote from: modage on April 02, 2009, 10:21:47 PM
Now available for your iPhone...

bookmark XIXAX and now you'll get a handy icon.

is there some special step I'm missing? Is it only confirmed to work with older phones?

I just picked up the 3G S and xixax is bookmarked but I don't have the icon.

The phone is awesome... Noticeably faster than the 3G. I was split between the 32gb 3g and the 16gb S but decided that speed was more important than space for the extra hundred bucks  considering that 32 still isn't enough space for everything.  What I like most so far is the incredibly responsive typing with auto correction that seems to be eight more often than not. Coming from a razr, this is heaven.

polkablues

When you're on the main page, tap the + button at the bottom of the screen, and tap "Add to Home Screen".
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reinhold

Quote from: polkablues on June 28, 2009, 09:21:27 PM
When you're on the main page, tap the + button at the bottom of the screen, and tap "Add to Home Screen".

thank you. you just saved me 3 seconds on my way to wasting time.