Do I even like movies?

Started by Derek, September 09, 2003, 08:18:23 PM

Stefen

Did you at least go to starbucks before and contemlate what you were doing? then afterwards did you stare at your hands?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SHAFTR

Sometimes I think we blog ourselves down with foreign films and older films that we are consumed with watching what we should watch rather then what we want to watch.  It's a time like this when you need to pop in something like Jurassic Park and remember why you love movies.

Also, I find myself buying movies so I can show others a movie I want them to see (that I liked).
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

it's not even that ppl are buying things that they are "sposed to like" and find themselves not watching them. the biggest crime as i see it are the ppl who buy everything that is released every week. u know how in the I Just Bought thread there are like 10 posts in a row sumtimes with the same movie?

yeah.. dvds will never fill that void.

thats why i hav like 30 dvds, and 2 of them are doubles i'm trying to get rid of. buying things u will only watch once, if that, completely devalues ur collection. it makes a mockery out of it.
under the paving stones.

meatball

It's consumerism. Buy the things you don't need, but you get so much pleasure from the purchase itself.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Derek
Moral support, please.

p.s. If you don't have anything nice to post, please don't post anything at all.

you're a baby -  i watch all my dvds.

but i do have 58  jeans jackets that i 've just lost interest in...oh well...
...your excuses are your own...

Pubrick

read the date. u come out looking like the fool when u reply to an ancient post.

it's like picking a fight with a corpse.
under the paving stones.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Pubrickread the date. u come out looking like the fool when u reply to an ancient post.

it's like picking a fight with a corpse.

was i fucking talking to you? read my lips -- you're a baby
...your excuses are your own...

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I think it's about the same with music.  I always look to my collection and almost waste more time thinking about what I'm in the mood to listen to than I do actually listening to it.

To remedy that problem, I just put all my songs that fit certain moods into playlists and just toss that bitch on random... unless I really do want to listen to a specific song.

But yeah, like SHAFTR said, I like to have rare DVD's so I can show them to people, especially people who are into film and have never heard of some of the hard to find titles... and sometimes man, it's nice to have loads of crap like commentaries and documentaries for when you've got a big day of relaxing and you just want to toss something in.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

I still haven't watched some of my DVDs or some of the extras on some of my DVDs.  I don't have much cash to burn so I mostly buy what I want to keep.  The other day I looked at my collection to see if I wanted to get rid of anything and I came up with about 5 titles out of 40-50.

I do have a few that I have only watched once so far.  It took me forever to get around to watching LOA, since I wanted to watch the whole thing in one sitting.  I do know one thing, though.  I am buying Raging Bull.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubrickit's not even that ppl are buying things that they are "sposed to like" and find themselves not watching them. the biggest crime as i see it are the ppl who buy everything that is released every week. u know how in the I Just Bought thread there are like 10 posts in a row sumtimes with the same movie?

yeah.. dvds will never fill that void.

thats why i hav like 30 dvds, and 2 of them are doubles i'm trying to get rid of. buying things u will only watch once, if that, completely devalues ur collection. it makes a mockery out of it.

:kiss:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

well, as far as addictions go, it's not a bad one to hav.

but i always think, especially when we had that big penis size contest about all the movies ppl own, that if anyone actually saw all the movies they hav on their shelf, there is no way they could NOT be geniuses afterwards. i feel that just with my kubrick collection. enlightenment would be inevitable.
under the paving stones.

bigperm

Quote from: Pubrickmy kubrick collection
at the end of the day, that's all I really need.
Safe As Milk

meatball

Quote from: Pubrickif anyone actually saw all the movies they hav on their shelf, there is no way they could NOT be geniuses afterwards. i feel that just with my kubrick collection. enlightenment would be inevitable.

movies don't make people geniuses. if anything they make jackasses.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.