justified

Started by pete, April 17, 2010, 04:04:27 PM

pete

watch the first episode of the second season.
I loved the first season for its dialogue, but the characters in the second season gets better characters and starts to become much less episodic and more serialized. I don't think first season found its footing until the hostage negotiation episode when they don't resolve conflicts via guns but rather through that elmore leonard-esque dialogue. the trend continues through second season. I don't know, watch that first episode with margot martindale, and if you still don't like it then it's probably not your show.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

diggler

So this is back, and it's still got it. Patton Oswalt is amusing as a Raylan wannabe, yet still manages some shades of darkness, pulling him above simple comic relief. That shop owner's deadpan delivery of "she flashed her titties and ran out back" was classic. It's unfair to call this an hour long drama because it's one of the funniest shows on television.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

pete

the joke and the payoff was great; one that was perpetrated by Patton.
the new villain's gonna be some gospel tent preacher? that sounds great thus far.
I can see though, that if the show's not careful, it can get douchey. let's hope that doesn't happen for another two seasons at least.
- Buster Keaton

Mel

How it started for me:

• I didn't made through pilot, when it did came out.
  • Picked it again after hearing good reviews not so long ago. I struggled through first half of season one.
  • Season two - huge quality jump. It went from being good to great.
  • Right now Justified is one of my favourites shows.
Some points about show:

• Great dialogue: it is very natural (doesn't feel stylized for me). We need more of this in other series.
  • It is small scale: show is more concerned with pawns than kings. I think this in a way is main reason why show doesn't get more praise/attention.
  • Tons of humour: adult jokes, often black comedy. Compared to comedy shows it doesn't attack you with punchlines every single minute. It just happens. 
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

pete

Quote from: pete on January 10, 2013, 01:26:06 AM
the joke and the payoff was great; one that was perpetrated by Patton.
the new villain's gonna be some gospel tent preacher? that sounds great thus far.
I can see though, that if the show's not careful, it can get douchey. let's hope that doesn't happen for another two seasons at least.

boy I had no idea
- Buster Keaton

Mel

Quote from: pete on August 27, 2013, 12:44:31 PM
boy I had no idea

I did hit spoilers before watching last season, so sadly it wasn't surprise for me.

One thing I'm concerned with: Graham Yost is also running The Americans.

pete

no - I was saying it in a good way - the show was careful about its own doucheness and totally avoided it. the preacher turned out to not be the main villain, as the show focused on mystery instead of a villain this season. also - patton's payoff in the pilot HAS a payoff. the season was really nice. quieter than the two previous, and went to some cool places.

but yeah The Americans feels very paint by the numbers, and doesn't feel like a Graham Yost show at all. Also he's not running Justified; he's the executive producer.
- Buster Keaton

diggler

I thought The Americans was gaining steam for the first half of the season then hit a string of boring episodes. Keri Russell is great in it, though.

Mel

Quote from: pete on September 01, 2013, 12:26:47 AM
Also he's not running Justified; he's the executive producer.

After watching some interviews with Graham, I think he can be called showrunner of Justified (he was credited as such in multiple introductions). He just doesn't insist on this, mainly because in the end it is Elmore Leonard's world and writing room in more collaborative than lets say Boomtown.

Speaking of Elmore Leonard: he died about two weeks ago.

Mel

Possible spoilers

Gators and Crowe family (they are related Dewey as far I know) - can't wait!

Justified Adds Three New Cast Members
via vulture.com

Justified showrunner Graham Yost is making good on his plan to integrate more of Elmore Leonard's characters into the show's forthcoming seasons following the creator's passing earlier this year. FX's outlaw drama has added three new cast members to its fifth season, all part of the fictional Crowe family, which Yost told Deadline "is a big part of [Leonard's] world."

TV Line reported that Michael Rapaport will play ex-convict and gator farm owner Dale Crowe, Jr., a "smart, ruthless and charismatic patriarch of a Florida crime family who will face off against Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant) in the upcoming season." Playing Crowe's smart, sexy paralegal sister Wendy is Alicia Witt, a character who "dickers with Raylan to cut a nice deal for Dale, in exchange for essentially nothing tangible, and enjoys outmaneuvering the Kentucky lawman," according to Deadline. Then there's Edi Gathegi (last seen on ABC's Family Tools), who'll play Jean Baptiste, a Haitian criminal in in charge of the Crowe family gator farm and former member of the Haitian secret police who "has a coldly merciless attitude when it comes to disposing of both gators and humans." Hold tight for all the Dixie drama when season five airs in early 2014.

Mel

Promos for upcoming season.

Not much, but at least we know it is getting closer with every day.

Mel

This time real teasers:

I don't think anyone cares (four posts in a row).

diggler

Quote from: Mel on December 22, 2013, 08:38:51 AM

I don't think anyone cares (four posts in a row).

I care!

MacGuffin

It's Official: 'Justified' to End After Season 6
FX Networks CEO John Landgraf confirmed the decision was based on a discussion he had with Graham Yost and star Timothy Olyphant.

It's official: The sixth season of FX's Justified will be its last.

The Western starring Timothy Olyphant will conclude its run with season six, FX Networks CEO John Landgraf told reporters Tuesday at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour. 

"It was [showrunner] Graham Yost and Timothy Olyphant's decision," he said. "I would have liked to have had more Justified. It's one of my favorite shows."

Landgraf noted that he reluctantly accepted the decision from the duo to wrap up the series. "We talked about it a year ago. They felt that the arc of the show and what they had to say would be best served by six seasons instead of seven," he said. "Regretfully, I accepted their decision."

The executive stressed that network has never let business drive the creative and has never extended a show -- or ended a show -- based on financials.

"A lot of it was just figuring out how much story we had left," Yost said, later in the afternoon. "Our biggest concern is running out of story and repeating ourselves. This was a long conversation. There were financial incentives to keep going, but it really felt, in terms of story, that six years felt about right."

The move to wrap Justified comes as FX has been bulking up on originals following the launch of younger-skewing sibling network FXX, which has thus far been a home for comedy. FX this year will launch anthology series Fargo as well as Guillermo del Toro and Carlton Cuse's The Strain and Howard Gordon's Tyrant. They join a drama lineup that includes returning series American Horror Story, The Bridge, The Americans and the final season of its top-rated show, Sons of Anarchy.

Additionally, FX took TCA to announce that the cast and crew would be participating in a tribute to late writer Elmore Leonard (author of source material Fire in the Hole) at Santa Monica's New Roads School on Jan. 21.

Every episode, we've tried to do as a tribute to Elmore Leonard," added Yost.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Mel

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 14, 2014, 05:19:46 PM
It's Official: 'Justified' to End After Season 6

Not much surprise there. You can find interviews done before season 4 was emitted, where actors/writers talk about ending looming. 6 or 7 seasons was more of a question. Yost hinted in some recent interview that they wanna bring in some characters before wrapping up - that was answer for me. It is just in paper now.

5x02 (SPOILERS INCLUDED!)

I was bit disappointing with first episode of the season, so much heavyweight lifting - it was just setting up things for what will come for almost 45 minutes. That translated into high body count at the end. This is the reason why I skipped writing a recap, hopping that show will find its balance in next episode.

I was still worried for the first 10 minutes of the second episode, then "Justified" found its rhythm and everything clicked for me. There was so much going on, hard to focus. Seeing Wood Harris was a nice touch ("The Wire" people will know). I didn't expect comeback from Loretta - will she play bigger role in this season or it was reminder that people don't change (hinting at Raylan himself)? He seems like loose cannon more than in previous seasons. And poor Dewey - those money didn't bring him much happiness and it is already a magnet for troubles. Boyd needs to straight his head to get out of all those troubles - playing with foreign lady won't help him in that.

I don't know where this season will go, but danger is lurking from every side.