Mike Leigh

Started by godardian, May 12, 2003, 05:06:15 PM

godardian

I saw All or Nothing (which, as far as I can tell, never really received a theatrical release here) on DVD a couple weeks back, and just loved it.

My favorite of his is Naked, though. I know Criterion had a laserdisc Naked release, and I keep pressuring them for a DVD, but so far, looks like nothing.

I really like Secrets and Lies and Career Girls, too. Haven't seen anything earlier than Life is Sweet. But I love this man. Anyone else?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cachilders

Naked changed my life. I'm still not sure whether it was for the better or the worse, but the fact remains.
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my
dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a
straight razor, and surviving.

godardian

Quote from: mogwaiSecrets & Lies changed my life, for the better.

I would recommend renting All or Nothing when you get the chance, then. It's along very similar lines... the guy who played Brenda Blethyn's brother in Secrets figures prominently, as he has in several Leigh films...

...actually haven't seen Topsy Turvy, though it's on IFC all the time. It seems like it's not 100% a "Mike Leigh film," you know? I'm willing to watch it on DVD sometime soon, however. The one I REALLY wanna get to is Abigail's Party which, depending on who you listen to, is some sort of masterpiece of the British cinema. Has anyone seen it?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardianIt seems like it's not 100% a "Mike Leigh film," you know?

That's because it has a screenplay.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffin
That's because it has a screenplay.

Yeah. Hence, it couldn't come anywhere close to the power of Naked or All or Nothing. He somehow gets this self-conscious immediacy and richness with all the improv in his films, which I think is his signature and which is probably what lends them the quality I really admire. So I'm a bit leery of Topsy Turvy.

Also, I have Gilbert O'Sullivan.  :wink:

soixante

Topsy-Turvy is one of Leigh's best films.  If you like his other films, definitely see it.  I believe Leigh used the same improvisational methodology on Topsy that he deployed on his other films.  That film had the misfortune of coming out late in 1999, and had to compete with American Beauty and other great films for awards.  If it had come out in 2000, it probably would have cleaned up at the Oscars.

All or Nothing was great.  I only saw it once, but it's one of the best of last year.  Few people have seen it, sadly.  It played for about two weeks in L.A., then disappeared.  Since it is neither a mainstream "franchisable" commodity movie nor a glib, hip, ironic indie, it slipped through the cracks.  Too bad.

Mike Leigh is one of the world's great filmmakers.  Naked was brilliant -- David Thewlis should have won an Oscar for his performance.  That needs to be on DVD.
Music is your best entertainment value.

filmcritic

It's clear that Mike Leigh is a very good filmmaker. His lastest film, "All or Nothing", was the main one to prove that. He has a great sense about his characters and he cares about them. I'm not sure if he's a great filmmaker, but I would like to see where he'll be down the road.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

godardian

Quote from: filmcriticIt's clear that Mike Leigh is a very good filmmaker. His lastest film, "All or Nothing", was the main one to prove that. He has a great sense about his characters and he cares about them. I'm not sure if he's a great filmmaker, but I would like to see where he'll be down the road.

I still think Naked is his masterwork.

Ghostboy

I'm getting a hint that I should see Naked ASAP. I've also been meaning to see Secrets & Lies for a long time. I have, however, seen and greatly enjoyed/appreciated/respected Topsy Turvy and All Or Nothing (particularly the latter).

Mesh

Quote from: godardianThe one I REALLY wanna get to is Abigail's Party which, depending on who you listen to, is some sort of masterpiece of the British cinema. Has anyone seen it?

I'm pretty sure I remember this film being very good and very British.  I saw it once only, and that was at least 5 years ago.

Naked, Secrets & Lies, and High Hopes are all excellent as well.

MacGuffin

New Line Picks Up Mike Leigh's Vera Drake
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Secrets & Lies director Mike Leigh has sealed a North American deal for his new film, Vera Drake, with New Line Cinema. The Hollywood Reporter says the title is expected to be released through the studio's Fine Line Features arthouse unit.

Starring Imelda Staunton, Jim Broadbent, Heather Craney and Philip Davis, the film follows the story of an Englishwoman in the 1950s who is completely devoted to and loved by her working-class family. However, she also leads a secret life as an abortionist, which threatens to unravel her life as well as her family's.

Leigh's credits include 1999's Topsy-Turvy and 1996's Secrets & Lies. He received Academy Award nominations for writing both and directing the latter.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

.......i have only seen Naked.......which i though was good ..but ...odd :? ...maybe one of you guys can explain it more clearly for me the point of the film....... i thought it was a sort of self discovery type of film where thewlis meets different people on a journey...but at the end of the film it just didn't reach any sort of conclusion for me....i don't know,  i just didn't "get it" ..i guess.  :| .................i still believe though that thewlis was incredible in that film ...very solid acting....

the only other film by him that i tried to watch was topsy-turvy..and i turned it off ......it had that really annoying shakespeare thing going on...it was too englishy for me ..(like gosford park).........i just couldn't get into it......
but what little i got out of naked, i believe that leigh is interesting

MacGuffin

Vera Drake' Wins Top Honor in Venice

Mike Leigh's "Vera Drake," a film about an underground abortionist in 1950s England, won the Golden Lion for best picture Saturday at the close of the 11-day Venice Film Festival.

"Vera Drake" is another of Leigh's raw, naturalistic films dealing with social issues in Britain. This time the setting is London of half a century ago, where a seemingly unexceptional housewife is secretly performing abortions.

"In a cynical world, it is a wonderful thing and most reassuring when low-budget, serious, committed, independent, European films are recognized and encouraged in this way and helped to reach their audiences," Leigh told the awards gala at central Venice's Fenice theater.

Leigh, 61, is famous for drawing out stunning performances from his actors, and this time was no different, with Imelda Staunton taking best actress for her role as Drake.

"I do think it deals with a complex subject with such compassion," she told the audience. "Mike Leigh is a genius."

Leigh is known for disturbing and emotional films such "Secrets and Lies" (1996) and "Naked" (1992). His intense approach often requires months of working on character development with the actors

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Leigh Slams "Interfering" Hollywood

British director Mike Leigh refuses to compromise his artistic vision in order to satisfy the demands of Hollywood studios - because to do so would be a "nightmare". Leigh, whose latest film Vera Drake is tipped to receive Oscar nominations this year, has turned down offers of major stars to act in his movies because their presence would be pointless. He says, "The reality of Hollywood is non-negotiable and non-viable. My producer comes back and says, 'They don't mind that there is no script and they know you can do it, but they will insist on a name or two.' And that means having actors imposed upon me who have no reason to be there and who are not going to be disposed to my methods. The guys in Hollywood interfere at every stage because big dosh (money) is at stake and they have to justify their asses. It would be a nightmare. It's giving me the heebie-jeebies just talking about it."

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

I just saw Naked last night for the first time.  My head is still spinning from it.  Definitely one of the best films I've seen in a LONG TIME.  I can feel a Mike Leigh binge coming on.  I've only seen Secrets and Lies and Topsy-Turvy, and I'll be watching Vera Drake this week, to be sure.

I get the idea that the rest of his work is closer to those than Naked but can anyone recommend anything else?

Jesus Christ, I haven't been kicked in the cinematic nuts like that in a long fucking time!