My Local Film Festival is not big enuff to have its own thread

Started by Weird. Oh, April 01, 2004, 01:25:57 AM

cine

so the online order page was being a bitch all day and their phone lines were down too.

this is the small list of films ive got tickets for:

the matador
drawing restraint 9
winter passing

modage

i would've loved to see Tideland, Hostel, Elizabethtown, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, & Revolver.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

For those in the UK just wanted to alert you all to how great the London Film Festival is this year (http://www.lff.org.uk/). Plenty of the big films (including Elizabethtown, which surprised me) and some cool events and talks, too.

I envy those who live in the city but fingers crossed I  get tickets to 'Good Night and Good Luck' for the closing night gala.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Tictacbk

Astrostic

So I have the fortune of being in France this coming May during the entire run of the Cannes Film Festival, and I know that you have to be invited and be big in the business to go, but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Cannes Cinephiles program, which grants access to select film students and film clubs.  Apparently you have to fill out some application and get it in to them by some time in March, but I can't even find an application of any kind.

Have any of you been to the festival before or gone through this? 

This is my first time to go to Europe, and if I could spend some time at the Cannes Festival I think I would just about cry. Especially with word that David Lynch's next will premiere at this year's festival...

matt35mm

I don't know anything about that, but this thread reminds me:

I've submitted Thomas Edison to the Ashland Independent Film Festival already, and will be submitting to South by Southwest, Santa Cruz Film Festival, Newport Beach Film Festival, DC Independent Film Festival, and (for the hell of it) Tribeca Film Festival for the Spring season of festivals.

Does anybody have any experience with any of these, or any other festivals?  Does anyone have any advice to impart?

Thanks.

killafilm

I've been rejected to the DC indie fest.  But the shorts were really really really shitty.  Mod can vouch (for the shit quality).

matt35mm

God.  So does that mean that it's easy enough to get in since their general quality is low, or does it mean that if I get in, that means my short is shitty (because they have shitty taste)?

killafilm

I'd say it means if you get in your short is good. 

The only films I've caught there were the animated shorts, and that was back in 2001, they were mostly meh.

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pubrick

holy crap man your gonna spend more money than you'd make in those two weeks your taking off. something doesn't feel right about that.

me i'm only watching 5, as my budget allows. i've bought 4 in advance already and the fifth i'm either gonna give to a friend or use on a random. it starts this week!

here's what i've got lined up..

SUNDAY AUG 6
A Life in Suitcases (peter greenaway)

WED AUG 9
The Pervert's Guide to Cinema Parts 1, 2, & 3 (sophie fiennes)

FRI AUG 11
Takeshis' (takeshi kitano)

SUNDAY AUG 13
Mary (abel ferrara)

very excited about all of em, and i can think of at least one other (retired) xixax member who'll probably be at everything, sitting in front of me as usualĀ  :yabbse-angry:.
under the paving stones.

hedwig

Quote from: Pubrick on July 30, 2006, 05:07:53 PM
i can think of at least one other (retired) xixax member who'll probably be at everything, sitting in front of me as usual  :yabbse-angry:.

preparations are in order

Pubrick

about prairie, i don't see the point of going to a festival to see a movie that will be released theatrically soon anyway. the ones i've chosen i think will probably not be released theatrically for very long, if at all. so in that vein i wanted to check out Black Bull too cos i felt like i could get in the mood for something extremely depressing. and my 5th ticket might go to Princess Raccoon but i'm not feeling it all that much. i think the stuff i got is the best of the bunch. it's slim pickings even with however many hundreds of films they reckon they're showing.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

Quote from: flagpolespecial on August 03, 2006, 07:02:14 AM
it's not cannes, berlin or venice. but i would have thought you'd welcome some counter programming with a little wider arms.
i don't have to be a spokesperson for the damn thing. the thread's title should've been an indication of how i feel about this city anyway. i'm probably just trying to make myself believe there's nothing worth watching cos i can't afford to see everything like you and silver bullet, except i think he's got a lifetime pass or something. i would like to see all the ones you mentioned, but they are just not that essential. i picked the 4 that rose well and truly above the rest in offering me something i wouldn't see in any other film. and the fifth is gonna be on a whim.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

Quote from: flagpolespecial on August 03, 2006, 08:48:27 AM
i'm curious to know why you don't want to see 'tideland' if your reason includes spoilers i don't want to know...yet.
i don't consider terry gilliam essential. i'm sick of his dutch angles. brazil is overrated. if it's any good i'll catch it when it's released at the Dendy or whatever.
under the paving stones.