official MovieNavigator thread

Started by mutinyco, July 30, 2003, 10:21:09 AM

modage

Quote from: mutinycoWhen I speak to young film enthusiasts there's a general consensus that the best way to make great movies it to just rip off things from other movies.

wow, i hope you're not talking about anybody on this board.

Quote from: mutinycoAs well, I don't think emotions are particularly profound and most great films have had some type of social observation.

i just cant understand how somebodys opinion on society is any better than somebodys opinion on any of lifes other aspects.  why are obvious social observations profound?

Quote from: mutinycoWith the release of Intolerable Cruelty, produced by Brian Grazer, Ron Howard's partner, and starring George Clooney and Catherine Zeta-Jones, I'd be surprised if it isn't the Coens' first $100-million picture at the B.O. I think that swing is intentional, part of a strategy, along with the Tom Hanks comedy The Ladykillers, to put them in a better position to make their dream project To the White Sea – a WWII drama that was nixed because of budget concerns.

i hope you're right about this.  but remember O Brother Where Art Thou was their biggest financial success at $45 million dollars (US gross), which was followed by Man Who Wasnt There which hardly made a dent at the box office ($7 million). the general public isnt fond of black and white.  i cant imagine their reaction to a silent film.  

Quote from: mutinycoIt doesn't matter how you get there – it's what you do once you get there.

finally, we agree. :)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mutinyco

I don't think things about life aren't interesting or profound. I just think that in terms of depth, these thing take place in relation to what's going on around them. Any human situation offers opportunities to deal with class, religion, politics, gender -- not even in an overt way. But it should all be there as basic observations. I don't see people doing that. They just focus on emotions or create a quirky world for their action to take place in. Their more interested in psychology, which has yet to become a genuine science. I'm not. It's a question of juxtaposition. Things exist in relation to other things and the contrasts or similarities create observable themes. I'm more interested in what I'm able to observe than how I emotionally feel about something -- I think the former is more reliable.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

©brad

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: Pthose chicks are fuckin sweet tho.
P: Like I always say, if there's grass on the field, play ball.
CBRAD: Was there?
P: A little.

fuuuur reeeeeal tho.

SoNowThen

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: Pthose chicks are fuckin sweet tho.
P: Like I always say, if there's grass on the field, play ball.
CBRAD: Was there?
P: A little.

fuuuur reeeeeal tho.

I always thought is was: if there's grass on the field, play ball. If there's no grass... it's artificial turf, play ball anyway.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

You guys have way too much time on your hands. Or spend too much time using your hands...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Quote from: mutinycoOr spend too much time using your hands...

...that's the one.

If I got to interview these yummy teens, I'd be such a wolf about it, you have no idea. Or maybe you do...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenIf I got to interview these yummy teens, I'd be such a wolf about it, you have no idea. Or maybe you do...
see, that's where mutinyco and we differ.. at his much hyped grand old wise age, the only wolf analogy he relates to is the one clawing at his door/deathbed.

under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

that, my friend, is a hell of a disturbing picture. but cool, nonetheless.

mutinyco

It's them's that laughs that knows better...

-St. Joe

mutinyco

If anybody's in NY, you're going to want to read this. Lincoln Center is having a widescreen series and they're showing 2001, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, The Thin Red Line, etc.

http://movienavigator.org/wideload.htm

-St. Joe

mutinyco

My American Splendor press is up. I think there's still a spelling arror in the first paragraph, but due to this blackout getting it fixed has been slow. Anyhow, go to:

http://movienavigator.org/splendorpress.htm

-St. Joe

ono

Quote from: mutinycoI think there's still a spelling arror in the first paragraph...
Irony is a beautiful thing.

Ernie

Quote from: mutinycoIf anybody's in NY, you're going to want to read this. Lincoln Center is having a widescreen series and they're showing 2001, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, The Thin Red Line, etc.

http://movienavigator.org/wideload.htm

Holy fuck, if I'm really really lucky, I might actually be in NYC (for the first time!) sometime soon.

I'd kill to see Close Encounters, 2001, Once Upon a Time in the West, or McCabe & Mrs. Miller on the big screen...that would be too fucking good...those are the cream of the crop as far as widescreen goes.

I haven't seen The Thing Red Line or Godard's Pierrot le Fou...that might be a cool way to see them for the first time.

Thanks a lot for the news man, really.

mutinyco

Irony is beautiful. So is widescreen. Harvey Pekar is cool, but not beautiful. Spread the word on all.

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Pierrot Le Fou is beautiful. All must see it.