Enter the Void

Started by New Feeling, January 30, 2009, 01:17:55 PM

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Stefen

Derek isn't a troll. He's been here awhile. He just got drawn off-sides and now he wants to take his ball and go home. It happens to all of us sometimes.

Since we're on sports metaphors...

Quote from: Pas on March 21, 2011, 06:00:48 PMI hate that anti-intellectualism that is so prevalent in the 21st century. Anything that isn't American Idol or Michael Bay has to defend itself all the time now. In Quebec we have this big network that has ALWAYS at least 1 million people watching it at all times. We are 7 million people here so it's a lot. Sometimes 3 million people watch the most popular stuff. Anyways, this channel is always attacking other channels for trying to be smart. They pride themselves on being stupid. It's really symptomatic of our era.

Sports forums are the worst at this. There's nothing worse than getting called an alfred einstein anytime you bring up something 'artsy'. UFC forums are the WORST. I don't know if I consider that a sport, but the fans of it are just impossible to ever have an intellectual conversation with. If you ever bring up like say a film with subtitles they'll call you a fag and say something about how they don't want to read a fucking movie. They're the only group of people I have ever seen who don't feel embarrassed by their ignorance and utter dumbassness, but actually revel in it and high-five each other for it. They will gang up on you if you show any sort of intelligence or artistic merit. "Look at this little guy trying to be all book smart! HAHA. FAG!"

I hang around a lot of sports forums and for the most part, they're okay. They won't bash you the way the UFC ones will, but they'll either ignore anytime you bring something artsy up or they will try and engage you, but to hilarious results where they just embarrass themselves. But god bless them. At least they're trying.

Growing up I never knew where I fit in because I'm kind of a meathead who has other interests. I like sports, beer, fist fights and big ole titties, but I also like good cinema, good music, art, reading and women who wear glasses. I always had two groups of friends and I could never mix and match them. NEVER. I tried a few times, but the results were disastrous. Someone either got clowned for being a dumbass or they got beat up; usually both. I blame my mom and my dad. They couldn't be any different from each other now. They had me when they were 15 and 16 and they lasted, like a year before they grew apart. My mom is my film guinea pig. She watched Dogtooth to scan it for any animal cruelty for me. She's more mad about this NPR stuff than I am. My dad? He's always asking me if I can get some weed. Going to lunch with him is the worst since all he does is comment about the ass on the waitress. He'll get on my case if I don't finish my beer. I love him tho, but it's their fault I'm this way!

Oh, game's about to start.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

I understand the sentiment of Stefen's last paragraph. I grew up in a sports world and retained a sports mentality and my natural environment is that, but I am much more comfortable talking and thinking about certain cultural artifacts. But I seem to have some positives Stefen doesn't. My friends are generally people who are approachable for both good movies, good sports and good professional wrestling (it's huge in our world) and I think I luck out because I come from a rural area where you don't get too many people who have full culture pretenses to their personality. I go shoot guns with a friend and later on that same day we're watching old Kurosawa, Fellini and Fred Astaire movies. Then I have movie nights with other friends but we also get together for Monday Night Raw and instead of sit there and mock it, we're talking about how awesome John Cena's last appearance was.

In college, I dated a girl who was all about full culture pretense. When she found out I liked professional wrestling, she wanted to file for fraud with me. I ended up dumping her myself, but she didn't care for my social respectability with her crew.

Robyn

This is the first time ever I say this about a film, but holy shit... I got my mind blown away big time wathing this. I can't even explain what's so great about it. I just loved every minute of it. This will probably be when of those films that I watch over and over and over again.

squints

Saw that GT posted something on facebook about this movie just today.

Well last night i watched it for the 5th time, on a 65in HD TV, on BLu-Ray, on Acid.

It was, needless to say, pretty intense.

If anything, this movie seems to serve as spiritual companion piece to Tree of Life.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reel

Quote from: squints on October 16, 2011, 10:04:01 PM
last night i watched it for the 5th time, on a 65in HD TV, on BLu-Ray, on Acid.

that just sounds like too much of a good thing!

last night I watched baseketball for the 17th time on a 19 inch screen, vhs, smoking catnip.

Just Withnail

I rewatched this for the first time since seeing it in the cinemas, on an outdoor screening, and the surroundings were excellently mood-enhancing. The wind kept making the canvas wave, which made it even trippier, and twice the train rushed by in the background at a perfectly timed moment.

The first time I saw it I was extremely tired and kept falling asleep during the last half, and have since had the impression that I missed large parts of it, though watching it now pretty much deflated that completely, as I didn't see anything I didn't remember. Probably the floaty, associative nature of it made it seem like more time had gone by.

It's still a striking film, but it had less of an impact on me this time around, seeming much more transparent than the first time - the simplicity of the premise and characters not quite sustaining the visual acrobatics, and, this time at times painfully clear, the bad/uninspired acting. I kept thinking how more powerful it would be if I was actually invested in the people (that would be "the ultimate trip"), and how strange it was that a film that is so, on the surface, intensely POV doesn't give much of an impression of its lead. The POV becomes a cosmetic touch instead of something that really makes us know the person, and then feel for him. Noé can do sudden heartbreaking intensity really well, but in the smaller scenes, with just a few people talking, it becomes obvious that is virtuosity is very one-sided.

But, ultimately, this is a film nothing like anything else, except Noé's other films.

jenkins

seen it 9x never had any trouble, that is a pretty intense POV because you're referring to spirit power, all complaints against this movie sound exactly the same and i love how people (like me) love this movie

Gold Trumpet

i've seen this a few times. Yes, I understand the complaints. The acting is definitely stunted, but the filmmaking wouldn't allow for a full performance anyways. The style of the camera and structure of the overall filmmaking restricts a lot of performance potential. There is also definitely a literalism to the film's themes. However, the filmmaking is still spellbinding to me and in an era where films quickly become outdated because of ability for films after it to topple the technical achievements of what a film has done or be more daring in bravado, I still don't see any film that is going to really go beyond this film in a way that will make it look either soft or bland. Many films can go beyond this film in just permissiveness easily (cheap horror likes to do it), but to also match it with the artistry, is tough. For me, Noe was trying to go beyond the standards of what Irreversible did in filmmaking extremes. It does that. His new work, Love, is purposely more constrained in many ways, but Enter the Void is still a pinnacle in modern filmmaking.