Apple is the best thing ever

Started by Kal, October 12, 2005, 02:59:39 PM

Ghostboy

Seriously. If my income were guaranteed for the next six months, I'd buy a new system today.

EDIT: Never mind. It's 0% interest on leases, not purchases.

pete

so, I make a lot of mixes for people, and today I heard this wild rumor that when so-and-so makes his mixes via itunes, the list of songs show up even when you put the CD in other people's computers!  is that true?  can you burn a mix via itunes in which the playlist automatically shows up in other people's itunes?  HELP.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

JG

i actually think there's a setting you choose so you can do that.  i found it once. 

EDIT:  wait, are you being sarcastic? 

pete

no.  HELP.
nevermind I think I found it.  no thanks to you.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

©brad

the iPhone has given me a renewed sense of purpose.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Kal

I'm waiting for someone to start posting unlock codes online so I can keep my T-Mobile account... and I'll be on my way.

It's amazing how suckers are buying them on eBay for $1,500 and they are still in stock everywhere... Its so tempting to grab a box at the Apple Store... only if I could unlock the bastard.

Ghostboy

I'm already with Cingular, but I'm due for a phone upgrade in February, so hopefully by that point I'll get it for a.) slightly cheaper and b.) a better version (at least as far as the OS is concerned). I think I can hold out until then....

©brad

my initial thoughts

- coolest looking phone ever made
- so easy and intuitive that after a mere two minutes of playing around you're an expert
- the widescreen is a godsend
- comes w/ its own headphones, which are far superior than the ones that came w/ my ipod. these headphones have a little button on the wire so when you're listening to music and someone calls you, the music automatically fades and you can just press the button and talk w/ out ever touching the phone
- email is superb
- thus far i have yet to put a single scratch on it. and smudges/fingerprints wipe away easily

buzkills
- at&t offers no insurance on these bad boys, so when you inevitably lose it or get mugged, you're fucked
- the at&t edge service is painfully slow. wifi is the way to go, but drains the battery if left on all day
- $545 w/ tax

MacGuffin

iPhone Owners Already Dialing In With Complaints
Customers — including MTV News' own Tim Kash — frustrated by long activation times, software glitches, clumsy browsing.
Source: MTV

With great hype comes great backlash.

Despite waiting hours — or days — in line, paying up to thousands on eBay and enduring weeks of relentless hype, some iPhone users are already grousing that the device some have jokingly called the "Jesus Phone" isn't exactly walking on water.

Among the biggest complaints since the phone/ music player/ mini browser went on sale Friday evening is that a number of consumers have had a hard time activating their phones, rendering the pricey devices practically useless. Others have criticized the "bulky" design, incompatibility with iPod add-ons and unimpressive sound quality.

Users who signed up with a new number for the phone apparently had little difficulty diving in, but some of those who tried to bring their old cell phone number over to the new device faced hours — or days — of frustrating delays waiting for exclusive carrier AT&T to get their accounts online. The glitch was, according to an Associated Press story, a result of overloaded servers trying to handle what analysts have estimated were 500,000 new iPhone users who tried to boot up their devices over the weekend.

Without the hookup from AT&T, not even the phone's alarm clock works, but an AT&T spokesperson told AP that the situation had improved by Sunday and that nearly all customers were able to activate their phones within a few minutes after the company made some technical adjustments to cut down on delays.

Experts said the activation problems are not unusual when a huge group of people rush to set up their service on a new phone all at once. But, unfortunately, MTV's own Tim Kash was one of those people who got stuck with a very expensive doorstop over the weekend.

"As soon as I got outside, a guy offered me $1,500 to buy it," said Kash of the 8-gig iPhone he bought on Friday in New York. He immediately hustled into a taxi to avoid being besieged by line-waiters who hadn't yet gotten their hands on one. "I opened the box and the phone is the first thing you see and it looks stunning. It's very clean-looking and fresh and very shiny. I set it up and went to the iTunes store and it said I had to activate it, otherwise all you can do is call 911 with it, and that gets old after a dozen times."

The first issue Kash said he encountered was that he was not allowed to pay for his monthly service or register using his U.K. credit card or overseas Apple account, which barred him from activating the phone. But even after entering his New York address and U.S. bank account number ... nothing.

"It said there was one missing bit of information, so I put it in again, and again and again, and it said the same thing," Kash said, echoing a complaint that showed up a few times from other users on Apple message boards. "At this point, it's Friday night and I've got my new phone and I want it to come out with me. But there's no point if all you can do is slide the thing on the bottom and call 911. I don't want to show a blank screen off to people who want to see how it works."

And, because you can't open the iPhone and insert your own SIM card, Kash said he was stuck with no service all weekend and is now waiting for the initial frenzy to die down before he tries to get his issue sorted. An Apple spokesperson did not return e-mails for comment at press time.

The bad news has not stopped the predictable eBay action, with iPhones (which retail for $499 and $599) going for an average price of more than $900, even though you could order them for list price with free shipping on Apple's site and they were still available in some Apple stores as of Monday (July 2). There were even reports of one weekend auction for a phone where the bidding topped $10,000.

Tech blogs dedicated to Mac products reported a variety of bizarre, seemingly rare hiccups, including one user who said their 8-gigabyte phone briefly displayed a capacity of 80 gigs after being synched. A group of consumers followed by USA Today mostly raved about the new gadget, but some complained that the touch-screen keyboard was hard to use because the keys were too close together, the Internet access was too slow (AT&T is notorious for having one of the slower Internet hookups for phones among the major carriers) and wished that the keyboard expanded for e-mail and text messaging.

And though the San Jose Mercury News praised the phone for allowing you to browse contacts while on a call and instantly synching your address book every time you plug into your PC, the paper complained about a lack of voice dialing and a nagging feeling that the device just doesn't feel like a phone. "The iPhone is beautiful and sleek ... [but] it feels too wide and bulky, particularly when I put it up to my ear to talk."

Another vexing problem is that many of the existing iPod accessories don't work with the iPhone. So, for example, if you're used to plugging your iPod into your car adapter to listen to podcasts you've downloaded on the way to work, you will have to buy a special new adapter in order to do it now.

But with all that said, the phone has been getting rare, almost universal praise from technology writers for its innovative touch-screen design and functionality. And that's helped put it on track to beat sales estimates — Apple has set a goal of selling 10 million by the end of 2008, putting the phone on track to follow the iPod and Mac as Apple's biggest-selling product.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

And that's why... you don't buy a first generation Apple product.

©brad

Quote from: SPARR•O on July 02, 2007, 09:07:58 PM

um no, it's not.

90% of the article was bitching about at&t, not apple/iphone. i activated mine saturday morning in a matter of minutes via itunes. it was the most painless activation of a cell phone i've yet to experience, and i have had many cell phones and carriers in my day.

so these kids bitching about it not working b/c it's not activated yet, well wtf do you expect. what phone does anything before being activated. and when in history has a carrier had to deal w/ such a huge influx of new members in one single weekend. minor delays should be expected.

as for the other stupid comments:
1. the keyboard - yes it takes some getting used to, but it's an incredibly smart keyboard in that 9 times out of 10 it knows the word you're trying to type before you get to the 3rd letter. it's far more intuitive than any T9 system i've used. and how many cell phones have curse words automatically integrated into their dictionaries? type in FUC_ and iPhone will fill in the K. tell me your crackberry does that.
2. new adapters for cars - boo-fucking-hoo. any new product will inevitably have new, more advanced adapters. deal w/ it.
3. doesn't feel like a phone? please. it feels much more like a phone than any other smart phone on the market. walk down 5th avenue holding it and you will turn more heads than you ever have. it's the only phone on the planet that could get you laid.

will iPhone 2.0 be better? of course. but the fact remains - the iPhone is so far ahead of anything else out there it's a joke. why else would samsung, sony, nokia, helio, and all the rest of them be shitting their pants (and they are).

Stefen

Quote from: SPARR•O on July 02, 2007, 09:07:58 PM

HAHA. *splat*

Still, nobody is probably capable of handling half a mil activations in that short a period of time.

I don't understand why Apple couldn't just make it a phone you could use on ANY carrier.

I know the only reason I won't get one is because I don't want to sign a long term deal with AT&T. If I could keep my current carrier, even if I had to pay double what I currently pay a month, I'd go out and get one the second they came out.

They look really neat, and I always wanted to blog about new movies as I'm watching them in the theater.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.