Brilliance In Dialogue

Started by SoNowThen, September 11, 2003, 01:15:08 PM

Find Your Magali

Quote from: themodernage02anyways, i actually just watched Arsenic and Old Lace last nite and i did not like it.  it was really really dark and weird.  and although i did like Cary Grants comic performance the movie was not my cup of tea.

I think it's definitely a bit of an acquired taste. A strange film to be coming out of Warner Bros. in the 1940s. But I guess they figured that with Capra and Grant, it was sure to be a mainstream hit. But it's actually just a big, goofy romp. It's fun, among other things, to see Lorre in a rare comic role.

modage

yeah Lorre seemed as close there to his cartoon persona in the old WB cartoons as i've ever seen him.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bigperm

Vacation (1983)- Towards the end of the movie- Aunt Edna is dead, the family is ready to mutiny and go home- Rusty claims the whole thing has been a drag- Clark stops the car to address his family-

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park and you want to bail out. Well I'll tell you something. This is no longer a vacation. It's a quest. It's a quest for fun. I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun. We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgeory to remove our godamn smiles. You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of you're assholes! I gotta be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose. Praise Marty Moose! Holy Shit! "

written by John Hughes
Safe As Milk

SoNowThen

:-D

That seriously brightened my day.
Yes, that is brilliant fucking dialogue!

"It's gonna be the hap-hap-happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny-fucking-Kaye."
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

bigperm

Yeah I think Clark got a good "vent" in each Vacation Movie-
Safe As Milk

bigperm

Sorry I like this thread...In movie I recently spoke of Crossroads (1986) Ralph Macchio asks Joe Seneca's character (Willie Brown) something about his harmoinca playing- Willie replies-

"Where I come from you don't blow no harp, you don't get no p*ssy."

written by John Fusco
Safe As Milk

Find Your Magali

Quote from: bigpermVacation (1983)- Towards the end of the movie- Aunt Edna is dead, the family is ready to mutiny and go home- Rusty claims the whole thing has been a drag- Clark stops the car to address his family-

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park and you want to bail out. Well I'll tell you something. This is no longer a vacation. It's a quest. It's a quest for fun. I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun. We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgeory to remove our godamn smiles. You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of you're assholes! I gotta be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose. Praise Marty Moose! Holy Shit! "

written by John Hughes

Another things that makes that scene great is the exasperated look that comes onto Beverly D'Angelo's face the second Clark drops the first F-bomb. That "here we go again look." Absolutely wonderful.

soixante

Great dialogue:

Sunset Boulevard:  "I'm ready for my close up."

The Searchers:  "That'll be the day."

Psycho:  "We all go a little crazy sometimes."

Bonnie and Clyde:  "We rob banks."

Easy Rider:  "We blew it."

Midnight Cowboy:  "You callin' John Wayne a faggot?"

Annie Hall:  "I did Shakespeare in the park.  I got mugged."

Stripes:  "I want to party with you, cowboy."

Heathers:  "Bulimia is so 87."

Go:  The "Confederated Products is not Amway" speech

Office Space:  "I was told I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume."

The Limey:  "There's just one thing I don't understand.  What I don't understand is every motherfucking word you just said."
Music is your best entertainment value.

Anachronism

Hrrm some excellent examples already, most noticeably "Glengarry Glen Ross," and "True Romance" though I am going to have to agree with Jamie and discount "Pulp Fiction" as a mediocre testament to cinematic dialogue. Granted the whole Zed's dead dialogue and McRoyal with cheese was endearing and comical. I guess my tastes in dialogue would stem from film in which the dialogue was so subtle that I would be forced to re-watch them over and over again to dissect the layers of meaning to them. A couple of my favourites would be "Good Will Hunting" a cliche I'm sure and not particularly challenging from a dissemination point of view but I found that the words used really struck a chord emotionally and lent incredible realism to the overall film. In terms of sheer volume of rapid gritty dialogue that leaves you thinking wow, I'd have to commend "Hurlyburly." You can never go wrong with Spacey or Penn as a delivery mechanism for golden syllogisms. In terms of deep conceptual dialogue that leaves you drawing a blank I'd go with "The Matrix, and Reloaded." People are entitled to knock the Wachowskis as much as they want as intellectual poseurs but I found alot of the borrowed conceptual language ie. 'The Desert of The Real' - Baudrillard, refreshing philosophically and intellectually. In terms of films that are just plain clever with the choice of language that I am constantly amazed I would have to pay homage to films like "Fight Club" and "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" and of course "Seven." Other favourites would be "12 Monkeys" and "Vanilla Sky."  I suppose I go for more esoteric plot settings to enrich the words used in a given dialogue. I guess that's why I am not such a huge fan of Tarantino's work, after reading his biography I became a tad disenlightened with his whole notion of stealing dialogues from real life conversations and then not crediting them. But don't get me wrong, I'm no QT basher, I enjoy his movies as much as the next pleb and am honestly looking forward to "Kill Bill," though not as much as "The Brothers Vega."

EL__SCORCHO

I'll vote for NETWORK on this one. The Howard Beale character has some of the best monologues I've ever read.

mutinyco

EVERYTHING about Network rocks. Just a straight-up brilliantly conceived and executed picture.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pubrick

Quote from: mutinycoEVERYTHING about Network rocks. Just a straight-up brilliantly conceived and executed picture.
um yes.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

..there are some brilliantly bad dialogue too...

1.0  Gone Fish'n
2.0  Double Dragon
3.0  Jack Frost 1 and Jack Frost 2
4.0  Top Gun
5.0  All of the entire Elm Street Films

MacGuffin

Quote from: NEON MERCURY..there are some brilliantly bad dialogue too...

You're right:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1440
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: NEON MERCURY..there are some brilliantly bad dialogue too...

You're right:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1440

:oops: ...you got me...but its been a while for me... :wink: