yeah watching it for the first time is definantly an eerie experience

chainsmoking insomniac

Five Fave Endings

1) Boogie Nights
2) All the President's Men
3) American Beauty
4) Manhattan
5) The Game
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Banky

i bet you like the BN ending

Myxo

Quote from: tremoloslothIt seems like sad endings are just as cliche as happy endings now, so how do you end something?

You make sure the ending is consistant.

Magnolia has such a terrific ending because the rest of the film is so full of confrontation and despair. Claudia's life to that point had been filled with men who abused and abandoned her. She, alot like Barry Egan, was so filled with doubt when suddenly this man enters her life that genuinely wants to be a part of it, and love her. So, as Jim sits there and tells her how much he wants to be a part of her life, she can't help but just smile. She is overwhelmed. That right there is how the whole movie feels. You feel overwhelmed. All of these people are doing everything they can to cope with their pain. Near the end, when all the frogs are falling, everyone finally comes together in a big heaping mass of character resolutions. Claudia finally has a man in her life who won't abuse her. He won't abandon her. It is also consistant with the chance that the two characters would probably become co-dependant as well.

Ok. I'm done. Consistancy.

You gotta feel like you are in good hands. Directors who take risks with their endings, I believe, are always concious of how well they've set the rest of the film up. Do people feel like they've just been cheated, or does it feel like there is resolution? Bleh. I could go on for a while about endings.

The odd part about this whole thread: Isn't it alot easier to name the films with good endings, and not the films with what everyone would consider a bad ending?

modage

Quote from: halo_onYou make sure the ending is consistant.  Magnolia has such a terrific ending.

yeah, but wouldnt it have been BETTER if at the end claudia had found out, the only reason she could see jim, is because she was DEAD!  or if frank had realized the reason he didnt get along with his father was because his father was HIS SUPERVILLAIN!  or if donnie smith had realized the reason he was gay was because it KILLS ALIENS!  i always think about that when i get to the end of that movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pedro

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: halo_onYou make sure the ending is consistant.  Magnolia has such a terrific ending.

yeah, but wouldnt it have been BETTER if at the end claudia had found out, the only reason she could see jim, is because she was DEAD!  or if frank had realized the reason he didnt get along with his father was because his father was HIS SUPERVILLAIN!  or if donnie smith had realized the reason he was gay was because it KILLS ALIENS!  i always think about that when i get to the end of that movie.
Me too.  I always thought that those was PTA's weakness.  Not enough aliens and death and cool shit like that.

Ernie

I think it would have been better had Donnie found out he was some legendary killer without a limp and therefore found a reason for not knowing where the hell to put his love.

ShanghaiOrange

And then the ship would sink. :(

My favorite ending is Rashomon's. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Myxo

Gotta love the ending for E.T. as well.

"Sorry little dude, but I gotta go. This Earth place is a dump."

rustinglass

Traffic - kids playing baseball
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

sexterossa

Quote from: rustinglassTraffic - kids playing baseball
yeah that had this amazing unreal "real" quality.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: sexterossayeah that had this amazing unreal "real" quality

Do you mean "surreal?"

MacGuffin

mog, why aren't you Betty and cbrad is Rita, or vice versa?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: MacGuffinmog, why aren't you Betty and cbrad is Rita, or vice versa?

hrmmm.... ur ideas r intriguing to me. perhaps this will be the next one.
i'm thinkin of a certain sex scene

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: MacGuffinmog, why aren't you Betty and cbrad is Rita, or vice versa?

hrmmm.... ur ideas r intriguing to me. perhaps this will be the next one.
i'm thinkin of a certain sex scene

Go for it. Yessss..... :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls