TOP 10 2007

Started by modage, January 01, 2008, 04:06:10 PM

pete

dear pubrick: when will you start commenting movies you've seen again?

sincerely,
Pete
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pozer

Quote from: Pubrick on January 06, 2008, 08:26:18 AM
i still can't believe you guys are serious!

i know it's sad.  i just changed mine a bit (mostly due to the fact that i saw easter promises again and didnt care for it) but youll still think it's despicable.

ill be the first to admit that ive not been paying much attention to the bargain biners lately.  here's to '08 i suppose.

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on January 06, 2008, 04:42:40 PM
dear pubrick: when will you start commenting movies you've seen again?

sincerely,
Pete

i've been putting it off but i want to start again after my 10000th post.

Quote from: pozer on January 06, 2008, 11:35:45 PM
youll still think it's despicable.

you're right.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pubrick on January 06, 2008, 08:47:56 AM
Quote from: brockly on January 06, 2008, 08:41:37 AM
the lives of others.

havent heard of it

it only won the academy award for best foreign film last year, and it's been available on dvd for the last 5 months in aus. the rest hav also been released theatrically to notable attention in cinephile circles, except sweeney todd, which is already forgettable without even seeing it.

Quote from: brockly on January 06, 2008, 08:41:37 AM
fuck u.

no hard feelings. INLAND EMPIRE was a PIECE of SHIT.

that's all.

i hope your not serious... :(

Reinhold

are we counting inland empire it for 2007?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: reinhold on January 19, 2008, 12:55:23 PM

Personally, I would. For a lot of people the DVD release was their first chance to really see the film. It seems silly contribute a film to a 2006 date 8 months after the year ended.

squints

i'm not ready for ten:

1. There Will be Blood
2. No Country for Old Men
3. Zodiac
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Jeremy Blackman

No. It had a limited US release in 2006, like so many other movies that were counted for 2006.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on January 20, 2008, 03:26:48 AM

No. It had a limited US release in 2006, like so many other movies that were counted for 2006.

Yea, but unlike those movies, it didn't have a DVD release at the beginning of the next year. Some consideration should be taken for how unique the release of the film was.

Reinhold

IE made my 2006 list in any case.  if the dvd release counted it would top this list with Killer of Sheep given that film's DVD release in 2007.
i don't have a solid list of 10 yet.

1. No Country For Old Men
2. Zodiac
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Eastern Promises
5. Knocked Up
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pozer

ill speak for silent tongued waitin on one more G pubrick.

i even still can't believe you guys are serious!

Sleepless

I've been holding off posting my list, as there's still one or two films I've still to see. Right up until December I kept saying that 2007 was a great year for cinema, but now I'm looking back I can't help but feel it was lacking in someway. I don't know what it is, I've seen a lot of big movies lately. I've really been cramming them in, but for whatever reason nothing I've seen recently has really sucked me in or blown me away. And I don't know why... Maybe my expectations were too high? If so, I guess I should stop looking forward to The Incredible Hulk, Crystal Skull, XF2 and Wall-E right now....

But anyway, here is my tentative list of my favorite 10 films of 2007 (subject to change come voting time):

1. This Is England
2. Zodiac
3. The Darjeeling Limited
4. Atonement
5. Ratatouille
6. Knocked Up
7. Inland Empire (I know, I know, but I didn't even get to see it in the theater until February)
8. There Will Be Blood
9. No Country For Old Men
10. The Painted Veil
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

brockly

knocked up before blood?  :?

even i still can't believe you guys are serious!

The Red Vine

I don't think I can do a top 10 list for 2007. Very few movies made an impact on me. But there are enough for a top 5.

1. There Will Be Blood.

2. Zodiac.

3. Juno.

4. Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

5. Into the Wild.

"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

john

1. There Will Be Blood
2. Zodiac
3. The Assassination of Jessie James By The Coward Robert Ford
4. No Country For Old Men
5. Grindhouse
6. Ratatouille
7. Superbad/Knocked Up
8. Into The Wild
9. I'm Not There
10. Margot At The Wedding

Haven't seen Diving Bell, Atonement, Michael Clayton.... and I'm sure there are probably films that aren't even on my radar that would easily render most of these useless. But, right now, this list feels right to me. Plus, I don't think I've had this strong of a "top 3" in some time. Each one makes me remember how silly and absurd it is to numerically rate the merit of films I enjoy in an allotted period of time. But I do it anyway.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.