Ford v Ferrari

Started by Sleepless, January 27, 2020, 11:27:51 AM

Sleepless

They don't make them like this any more.

This was a thoroughly entertaining, solid film that is unquestionably in my top 10 - if not top 5 - of the year. I'm honestly a little surprised I loved this as much as I did. It's undoubtedly a casualty of the Disney-Fox merger, as I don't recall seeing any marketing push around it, and the fact that it doesn't have three more nominations - at least - for Bale, Director, and Screenplay is testament to what must surely have been a neglectful awards campaign.

It's not the type of movie Xixax typically goes wild for, but trust me, this is a good 'un.

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

WorldForgot

Ken Miles makes for a great character study, propulsive and as down-home as racing gets -- an interesting coincidence I stumbled reading through Xixax'z backlogs is that Christian Bale was once attached to Mann's Ferrari biopic about Enzo.

Caught this at the Chinese theater a couple months back, pure cinematic thrill. It's funny, too, not a stodgy biopic by any means (it's Mangold so you know this already, probably). Surprised there wasn't already a thread.

wilberfan

I enjoyed it, too.  (Although I felt obligated to invent a drinking game that involved taking a shot every time there was an insert of a foot stomping on a clutch pedal.)  As engaging as the racing scenes were, I actually enjoyed the one-on-one dialogue scenes even more.   Yes, solid entertainment. 

Drenk

wilberfan had to recover from weeks of nightmares involving a Tarantino version of Ford v Ferrari: Once Upon a Time...In Vroom-Vroom Land.
Ascension.

wilberfan

Quote from: Sleepless on January 27, 2020, 11:27:51 AM
It's not the type of movie Xixax typically goes wild for...
I actually saw this back around the holidays, but didn't mention it because I thought you guys would eye-roll yourselves to death.

Alethia

jenkins

one day i'll double it with Rush and grow as a person

wilberfan

I'm eagerly awaiting "Ford vs Ferrari vs Paywall"--a weekly podcast alternately examining each of the bearings on both cars.  (To run thru 2023.)

Robyn

Yeah, I liked this too.

I wish the racing scenes looked more interesting, tho. The Mann version would've been great.