Matt Is Doing A U.S. Road Trip And Wants To Meet YOU!

Started by matt35mm, June 12, 2009, 09:20:12 PM

matt35mm

Dear XIXAXers,

I'm living in England until late October of this year.  I have to make my way back to California, but am in no rush, and have the time and freedom and funds to have a little adventure.  Therefore, I am going to fly to the East Coast (most likely Boston), and do a cross-country road-trip back to California.  I plan to spend 2-3 months doing this, and I want to meet up with y'all along the way.  I have a rough draft of what I'd like to do drawn out here:

This'll be a good ol' living-out-of-a-backpack, bussing around, hitchhiking, couch-surfing type thing for the most part.  If you're anywhere around this route and are interested in meeting up with me, please let me know.  If I can stay with you (or if you know of some place I can stay), DEFINITELY let me know!  I have also posted this on my Facebook with some pretty positive responses, so I'll be getting to see some old friends and new friends, which is what I'm most excited about.  I don't really like staying in a place for just one day, so I'd especially like to meet up with people who can hang out with me for maybe 2 or 3 days, whether for the whole day or after work or whatever, but please let me know even if you can only meet me briefly, because we might be able to work it out.

So please let me know if you'd like to meet up with me.  Thanks, all!

Stefen

Hell yeah bro. I'll meet up with you when you're in NM assuming we can make our schedules work. You don't seem to be coming around Albuquerque or Santa Fe but I can travel up North to have lunch/dinner with you if we can work it out.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

Yes, avoid Mississippi and Alabama at all costs.  Heh.

I'm in NC, and it'd be interesting, a maybe.

Kal

The Perineum Falcon

This is something that I've wanted to do myself for a very long time, but I haven't the funds to pursue it. What a wonderful idea.
I'd love to meet up again, and if you can swing down to Columbus, GA (it's 90 mins south-west-ish of Atl), then you'll also have an incredibly comfy couch to crash on (speaking from plenty of experience).
Just let me know!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Gold Trumpet

I'd give you the couch in my apartment to crash on for a few days, but you'd have to continue on through Ohio, all the way up Michigan to a little city right below Lake Superior, to get to me. Probably not in your itinerary of things to do, but awesome trip idea.

matt35mm

Quote from: Megan Fox is a stupid bitch on June 12, 2009, 09:34:11 PM
Hell yeah bro. I'll meet up with you when you're in NM assuming we can make our schedules work. You don't seem to be coming around Albuquerque or Santa Fe but I can travel up North to have lunch/dinner with you if we can work it out.

Yeah, the map above is a rough draft and is more about which states I'd like to hit rather than which parts of each state (for example, I will want to go to New Orleans even though I only drew the route to the middle of Louisiana).  I definitely want to go to Albuquerque, having read up a bit on the arts scene there, and I'd also like to visit Santa Fe.  We should definitely find a way to make it work.

Quote from: ono on June 12, 2009, 09:50:33 PM
Yes, avoid Mississippi and Alabama at all costs.  Heh.

I'm in NC, and it'd be interesting, a maybe.

I'd like to meet up for sure.  I would like to visit nearly all the states but I can't gauge what would be too ambitious for a 2-3 month trip, so at this point I'm assuming that I would have to skip some states, but you're probably right that I could include those states fairly easily.  I know you were sorta joking but now I probably will go to those states.

Quote from: kal on June 12, 2009, 09:51:24 PM
See ya when you get to LA at the end of the road :)

Definitely!  That'll be a lot of fun.

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on June 12, 2009, 10:10:05 PM
This is something that I've wanted to do myself for a very long time, but I haven't the funds to pursue it. What a wonderful idea.
I'd love to meet up again, and if you can swing down to Columbus, GA (it's 90 mins south-west-ish of Atl), then you'll also have an incredibly comfy couch to crash on (speaking from plenty of experience).
Just let me know!

I'll definitely make the effort to get there and crash on your couch!  It'll be fun to meet up again in a completely different place.  Thanks.

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on June 12, 2009, 10:21:21 PM
I'd give you the couch in my apartment to crash on for a few days, but you'd have to continue on through Ohio, all the way up Michigan to a little city right below Lake Superior, to get to me. Probably not in your itinerary of things to do, but awesome trip idea.

I might do.  Michigan isn't on this rough draft only because I've been to Michigan before, but really I've only been to the Kalamazoo area and the Lake Michigan bit, so I'm sure there's a lot more to it than what I've seen.  So it's a maybe, and as I work out the details enough to see whether or not there will be time to spend a few days in Michigan, I will let you know.  If I do get to Michigan, then I'll make the effort to come and meet up with you.

Thanks everyone for the positive responses.  Can't wait to meet you all!

MacGuffin

Quote from: matt35mm on June 13, 2009, 10:58:48 AM
Quote from: kal on June 12, 2009, 09:51:24 PM
See ya when you get to LA at the end of the road :)

Definitely!  That'll be a lot of fun.

Make it a threesome. And we'll hit the gay bars.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jefferson

sounds like an awesome trip. I'm in Indianapolis and would be up for hanging out if you stick to the map.

polkablues

Very cool idea for a trip.  I don't really have room to house anybody, but we can definitely hang out when you're in Seattle.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

I met up with stefen once.
lets just say I wish I could say "I'm no longer a virgin" with some semblance of pride.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

Jefferson, I might well be going through Indianapolis and would be happy to meet up.  Bloomington also seems worth visiting.

Polka, I'll be going to Seattle and already have a place to stay with a friend lined up, so you won't have to house me.  Definitely want to meet up and hang out.

Pete, I'm fully prepared to be violated in some way while meeting Stefen.  I'll want to meet up again with you, too, when I get to San Francisco.

Reinhold

matt, i wish i knew where the fuck i'll be in october/beyond. right now the choices are NYC, chicago, and seattle in that order. anyway, we should hang, bra. also... are you sure you want to drive in the northern parts of the country in the middle of winter?

Quote from: polkablues on June 13, 2009, 01:57:14 PM
Very cool idea for a trip.  I don't really have room to house anybody, but we can definitely hang out when you're in Seattle.

i think i might be in seattle in a little while. i want to check it out before i seriously consider moving there. when i'm in town, d'you think you could introduce me to your avatar?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

SiliasRuby

I'd love to hang out with you Guys (kal, matt and mac) when you get to LA
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection