Intonation/Pitchfork Music Festival(s)

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, July 09, 2005, 12:27:06 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This is the fourth year of it, so you should be good.  Usually a big turn out, considering the low price and nifty location to a densely populated hipster capital.

I've only gone to two of the three, and I really wish I didn't miss last year's, but it happens.  Should turn out to be pretty awesome.  At this point I'm especially looking forward to Boris, Dinosaur Jr., Animal Collective, Apples In Stereo and the Dirty Projectors.  It all looks exciting, though.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Interesting show, really.  Some great sets, some real disappointments, but the great sets made up for them.

First off, Boris decimated the show.  This is an instance where it really matters who you ask about how it went because a lot of people I know scoffed their performance, but in general they don't listen to the band anyway.  They put on a hell of a set.  Real bassy metal opened and closed with a gigantic gong.  It was glorious.

Of course Animal Collective blew everything up.  It had a lot of dazzling lights and from start to finish, was a nonstop set.  From here on out, I will make it a personal resolve to never miss them again.  They also played some off of Panda Bear's "Person Pitch," which was pretty exciting.

Cut Copy was a no show.  Atlas Sound and some other guys tried to provide solace by suggesting they could play an improv set and see how cool it would turn out, but by then, most people decided to leave.  My friends and I skipped Spoon entirely, they just don't do a whole lot for me, and my friends weren't really into them.

Fuck Buttons was a major surprise.  They put on a great set, despite being a little set back from technical problems, but when they got out, they were phenomenal.  I hadn't heard them going in, but I'm all over their shit now.

!!! was standout amazing, and Dizzee Rascal got the crowd pretty hyped up.

Public Enemy was OK, but really, it was a bad vibe.  You've got Pitchfork crowd kids, motherfuckers in ironic t-shirts and goofy sunglasses, and it was clear that PE was just there to get paid then promptly get the fuck out.  Professor Griff didn't even rap, just stood back by the onstage soldiers (the PE standard).  The album is great, but the performance felt rushed.  Not to mention, at the end before they were done, Flava Flav went on a long speech about the evils of racism to a sea of pale white people.

Fucking elbow to elbow, though.  Hopefully the next few lineups get worse in terms of obscurity so I can either not go or go and it won't be so packed.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

Shuffling in the crowd, did you get to rub up on any hot hipster girls asses?

I don't know how a Fuck Button's show would work. Their music is so droney. It doesn't sound like it would translate very well live. Good to hear it does.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Well, I'm into droney stuff lately, so it got my attention.  Mostly people were peeling away, but when you were close enough to some speakers, you could hear the glorious subtleties in the music.

They go nuts while they play, so that's cool.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Walrus on July 27, 2008, 03:47:34 AM
Well, I'm into droney stuff lately, so it got my attention.  Mostly people were peeling away, but when you were close enough to some speakers, you could hear the glorious subtleties in the music.

They go nuts while they play, so that's cool.

What about the hipster girls asses? WHAT ABOUT THE ASSES?
My assholeness knows no bounds.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Stefen

omg I swear I'm not gay, but I always thought hipster boys had nicer asses than hipster girls. Maybe it's the women's jeans they wear.

I wish I could have gone. Everything I'm hearing had Boris being badass. I'm hoping some videos get put on pitchfork.tv of their performance or at least of some interesting bands. All they have now is Hold Steady and I don't dig them too much.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Holy shit, this was the finest Pitchfork yet, I do declare.

It may have raised in price from $35 for two days to $80 for two and a half days, but its intensity still bursts out of the seams for the price.

There were about 40 acts altogether, but here's my top 10.

10 ) The Walkmen

9 ) Matt and Kim

8 ) M83

7 ) Beirut

6 ) Final Fantasy

5 ) Fucked Up

4 ) MF DOOM

3 ) DJ Rupture

2 ) Flaming Lips

1 ) Pharoahe Monch

Shows that sadly, because I was at another performance or waiting by the stage for a show I anticipate more, I missed:

Vivian Girls

Wavves

Yeasayer

Grizzly Bear

Japandroids

But overall, I think I made the right choices because the shows I saw were pretty fucking rad.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Alright all you yearly Pitchfork attendees, things are going to be sweet this year.  I only got a Sunday ticket so far since I'm broke, but here's the tentative lineup! (I didn't want to go for all 3 days, but I'll probably end up buying a Friday or Saturday ticket depending on who signs up later)

http://pitchforkmusicfestival.com/news.php

As previously reported, the 2010 Pitchfork Music Festival will be held at Chicago's Union Park on July 16 – 18. We are pleased to announce the first batch of bands slated to perform, as well as proclaim that tickets are on sale today at 12 PM CST! This year's festival will culminate to the highly anticipated return of the legendary band Pavement! Friday features indie-rock, chart-topping mainstays Modest Mouse, while Saturday and Sunday sees performances by LCD Soundsystem, Raekwon, Here We Go Magic, St. Vincent, Lightening Bolt, Cass McCombs and Sleigh Bells. Stay tuned, as more bands will be announced in the coming weeks.

Single-day tickets can be purchased for $40 and three-day passes for $90. This year, Friday will featuring more bands, providing festival-goers with a longer day of music. Purchase your tickets early, as three-day passes are sure to sell out quickly!

The 2010 Pitchfork Festival Lineup so far:

Friday
Modest Mouse

Saturday
LCD Soundsystem
Raekwon

Sunday
Pavement
St. Vincent
Lightning Bolt
Cass McCombs
Here We Go Magic
Sleigh Bells

squints

It'd be great if Modest Mouse played Lonesome Crowded West.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Friday is actually slated to be a full day of music, so sadly, they may just be playing a set, not an album a la All Tomorrow's Parties.

For what it's worth, I'd wish for This Is A Long Way To Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Well fuck.  My friends who got their pitchfork tickets already received them in the mail, but I still haven't gotten mine.  When I talked to ticketweb's customer support about not receiving my tickets in the mail they said that under no circumstances would they refund or reissue any lost, damaged or stolen tickets.

And I'll be damned if I pay them any fucking more money.

Reinhold

Quote from: // w ø l r å s on March 08, 2010, 07:36:56 PM
Well fuck.  My friends who got their pitchfork tickets already received them in the mail, but I still haven't gotten mine.  When I talked to ticketweb's customer support about not receiving my tickets in the mail they said that under no circumstances would they refund or reissue any lost, damaged or stolen tickets.

And I'll be damned if I pay them any fucking more money.

get tickets for the other days soon man.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I bought them when I could, I'm broke and I'm planning to move into a new place.  They're still refusing to help me out and replace my tickets, which they've been abundantly clear that under no circumstance will they do for me.

But I hope, somehow, that I can go.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT I FINALLY GOT MY TICKETS IN THE MAIL, FUCK YOU CHICAGO POSTAL SYSTEM, HELLO LIGHTNING BOLT!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I know that Reinhold and I are the only ones going, but damn, the lineup has just been altered again, and since I'm only concerned with Sunday, it just got even more badass:

Sunday

Pavement
Big Boi
Major Lazer
St. Vincent
Lightning Bolt
Beach House
Girls

Sleigh Bells
Neon Indian
Cass McCombs
Here We Go Magic
Surfer Blood
Local Natives
Washed Out
Best Coast
CAVE
Allá

Anything not bolded means I know little than more than a song by the band, so if anyone has any heavy recommendations based among them, I'll check them out.

Anything in bold means I will be ecstatic to see them.  The end of the night is going to be tricky, I can tell.