The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Reel

Yeah, that was a really insightful article.

and Jesus Christ does Fiona look like the Pet Sematary lady in that picture at the top

Ghostboy

Great, now I'm not gonna be able to return to this thread until it shifts to another page on account of all my old nightmares being brought back by that picture....

Stefen

Quote from: Ghostboy on September 19, 2012, 07:45:04 PM
Great, now I'm not gonna be able to return to this thread until it shifts to another page on account of all my old nightmares being brought back by that picture....

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kellen

Reel

Quote from:  
Roger Ebert - INVALIDATED ..again

I so wanna read it, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow, if that. I've already read one negative review by an ignoramus, so the last thing I need is someone whose opinion I respect ( less and less these days ) to rip apart a movie I haven't even seen. I really could give a fuck what Ebert thinks at this point. He's so late to the game. The only mention I saw of this film on his twitter was when he called it PTA's "Scientology film" or "takedown" or something of that nature, and linked to a year old article speculating about it. That's not a true fan, you gotta stay on top of your shit as a film critic, and especially as someone who claims that PTA is one of his favorite filmmakers. Like most people, he must've been expecting more 'scientology' out of it and didn't get what we wanted, so he left confused. He eventually changed his mind about 'The Shining' and 'Magnolia' and elevated them to 'Great movie' status, but you know what? The guy gave Ted 3 1/2 stars, so as far as I'm concerned, he can eat cock.

Drenk

A quote from James Gray about Joaquin and the way he "puts himself in the movies"; it's from an old Masterclass. Joaquin Phoenix is still here, but I think he doesn't exist.

"He puts himself in the movies in such a way that...I mean he's very close to mental illness. And I say that not as a joke. It's like: you walk down the street and for months he will be one person, and then you'll see him again and he'll talk with you in a totally different way. Which guy are you ? Are you Joaquin ? Are you the character or what's happening ? And he's like: What's the problem ? He doesn't even get it."
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

I think he put Magnolia at #2 for 1999, behind Being John Malkovich. He said later that he would move Three Kings to the top. Don't ask how I remember this.

Ebert isn't horrible or anything, just sometimes wrong. It's hard to be heartbroken over one of his reviews anymore; I'm used to it. For example, he hasn't given a 4-star rating to a Lars Von Trier movie since Breaking The Waves, and he gave Dogville 2 stars. He essentially hated Lost Highway and Blue Velvet. CMBB and PDL both got 3.5 stars.

Pozer

Quote from: Reelist on September 20, 2012, 11:47:26 AM
Quote from:  
Roger Ebert - INVALIDATED ..again

I so wanna read it

it's not very good and proves indeed that merely slapping 2 1/2 stars onto this "fabulously well-acted and crafted" movie after his one viewing is not very smart. if only he watched it at that early chicago screening then saved his review for after toronto. probably would have up'd it to his safe 3.5.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 20, 2012, 12:31:42 PM
CMBB and PDL both got 3.5 stars.

the half a star missing on cmbb was for lack of womens in the film i recall.

coke

nothing to do with the master but since that awesome pet cemetery pic i just saw on imdb that fiona apple was picked up on hash possesion ha!

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pozer on September 20, 2012, 01:14:10 PMthe half a star missing on cmbb was for lack of womens in the film i recall.

Yeah, that was probably one of the most ridiculous things he's ever put in a review. Along with randomly citing "its relentlessness" as a weakness, with no explanation.

http://www.rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080103/REVIEWS/801030301/1023

"There Will Be Blood" is the kind of film that is easily called great. I am not sure of its greatness. It was filmed in the same area of Texas used by "No Country for Old Men," and that is a great film, and a perfect one. But "There Will Be Blood" is not perfect, and in its imperfections (its unbending characters, its lack of women or any reflection of ordinary society, its ending, its relentlessness) we may see its reach exceeding its grasp. Which is not a dishonorable thing.

Kellen

Did anyone see this review: The Master Loses Control of Its Flock

Looks like Rex Reed is trying to do his best Armond White impersonation.

polkablues

Quote from: Kellen on September 20, 2012, 03:23:09 PM
Did anyone see this review: The Master Loses Control of Its Flock

Looks like Rex Reed is trying to do his best Armond White impersonation.

I pulled out the only part of that review you need to read to confirm its invalidation:

QuoteIt might not even be the worst movie ever made, depending on how you feel about such hollow, juvenile and superficial trash as I  ♥ Huckabees, Brewster McCloud, Punch-Drunk Love, Mulholland Drive, The Royal Tenenbaums, Lost Highway, Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Wouldn't we be disappointed if this were not polarizing, though? I know I would be.