QUEER CINEMA

Started by modage, June 02, 2003, 05:33:46 PM

modage

im not queer. but you guys need a place to discuss.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pookiethecat

sister my sister is a wonderful movie.  i'm glad you liked it.  jodhi may who played the younger paupin sister is one of my favorite actresses.  she's in a new bbc miniseries which apparently has some very risque lesbian sex scenes...it's called tipping the velvet.  

i have yet to see i shot andy warhol.  i read about it a while ago but somehow forgot about it...i should see it soon.  mary harron did a brilliant job with american psycho.  and lily taylor as a schizophrenic counterculture dyke sounds pretty damn intriguing.
i wanna lick 'em.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

pookiethecat

i wanna lick 'em.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

pookiethecat

can someone tell me what the fuck is going on.  lol.
i wanna lick 'em.

Gold Trumpet

Isn't the idea that you are using Queer in place of gay or lesbian crossing the political correctness border? I don't think anyone here has a problem with this cinema, but I always felt the approach in saying it as Queer Cinema is biting at the political correctness feeling a lot of people in dealing with subjects that seem easy to offend because it deals with groups of people spotlighted as being looked down upon in some way. I really can't speak for the gay or lesbian crowd here on what they feel because it can differentiate between each.

As for personal opinion on any of these films in this specific categories, I haven't seen any of them though off the top of my head but have come close to renting High Art.

~rougerum

Sleuth

She's gay and the correct answer is yep you're single
I like to hug dogs

pookiethecat

mrburgerking, it's laura nyro.  first of all she's lesbian.  second of all, she's dead.  so i think you're chances of getting laid are pretty slim.  

as for the "queer cinema" -as-politically incorrect thing, goldtrumpet, the idea is precisely to be politically incorrect.  in a way, it's like black people calling themselves the n-word.   to twist the prejudice so it doesn't mean something nasty anymore...

just an ole tactic that we minorities are crafty at.
i wanna lick 'em.

Gold Trumpet

maybe fine and dandy for you guys to use in how you want to label yourself, but for the rest of us, it sounds just dumb saying it. And mr burger king, since you are of that philosophy, I dare you to call every black man you see from now all that most notorious word......the n word. None of my business what the people of these minorities say, but it holds nothing to showing me the best way in how to say it.

~rougerum

MrBurgerKing

How do you like your burgers cooked?

pookiethecat

what the hell is dumb about calling it queer cinema?  

this thread is getting worse by the minute.  save us, godardian.
i wanna lick 'em.

EL__SCORCHO

I don't think it's wrong to call it Queer Cinema, because that's the actual name of their movement I think. I've read dozens of articles that proclaim Todd Haynes is the leader of the "New Queer Cinema".

Cecil

im not opposed or offended, but what do we call other films then? straight cinema?

children with angels

Just wanted to interject and randomly proclaim my love for My Own Private Idaho. I only saw it recently - as part of my course - and loved it (and, incidentally, have to take an exam on it on Friday). The essays I've read on it proclaim it as a key film in the 'New Queer Cinema'. I was just wondering what anyone's take on it was. River Phoenix apparently pushed the homosexual nature of his character more than Van Sant had originally intended, and Reeves backed further away from the notion of queer than the script had suggested. I'm studying the film on a course to do with the road movie, and the film therefore takes the form of the theme of identity (a major theme in the road movie genre) in relation to queer cinema: the search for home, the hegemonic norms of heterosexuality, and existing outside that paradigm. Anyway: it's a great movie...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/