The 2006 Xixax Awards: CAMPAIGN!

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 22, 2006, 12:43:06 PM

polkablues

CONTINUE TO OBEY THE CAMPAIGN-A-TAR.....

New addition: Evan Rachel Wood in Pretty Persuasion.
My house, my rules, my coffee

hedwig

nice. you should throw a gaghan in there.

I guess the Clooney covers that.

i'd like to also remind everyone of Cillian Murphy's performance in Batman Begins.

"Would you like to see my mask?"

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

picolas

Quote from: Hedwig on March 25, 2006, 01:20:05 AM
i'd like to also remind everyone of Cillian Murphy's performance in Batman Begins.

yes. this was better than red eye.

Redlum

I'd just like to remind everyone what a stellar package the I Huckabees 2-disc DVD was. Right down to the insert.

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Alexandro

Jeffrey Wright in Broken Flowers
and
Barry Pepper in The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

for best supporting actor

w/o horse

Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Saraband came out in 2003, so even if it didn't qualify for 2003 somehow, it'd most likely fall into 2004.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

w/o horse

Syriana somehow came out Saraband.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Derek237

Some campaigns I'd like to make:

Good Night and Good Luck for everything. David Straithairn should be nominated for all 4 acting categories because he breaks all boundries of leading and supporting as well as gender. But seriously, the movie got nominated but shut out of almost all of the major awards this year. I hope it wins something from the xixaxers, at this point even winning editing would be fine.

A History of Violence for everything. Viggo, Maria, Will, Eddie, Davey, etc.

Capote for everything, of course, but particularly Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I mention this only on the basis that Hoffman has kicked so much ass that people may simply forget to include him. Also the supporting performances of Catherine Keener and Robert Blake, I mean, Clifton Collins Jr.

The Upside of Anger for Best Female Performance, Joan Allen. So fucking obvious, dudes.

Wedding Crashers for best original music. Remember when the Academy Awards would sometimes throw in a "best comedic score" category? Actually, I can only think of one year when they did that, but nonetheless, I thought Wedding Crashers had a cool, jazzy, upbeat score that should be recognized. Yeah, John Williams music is great and epic and all, but there's nothing wrong with the music here.

The Family Stone for best female performance, Sarah Jessica Parker, and best supporting female performance, Diane Keaton. Parker did a wonderful job as, well, sort of a bitch. But somehow she made the role empathetic, and truly believable as a person who desperately wants to be liked, and respectable, but somehow manages to do everything wrong. I thought it was a very under appreciated performance, especially considering that I hate everything else she has done. And Diane Keaton is great as always as the eccentric mom character. She was just..real. I could point her out and say, yeah, I know people like that. And of course, if you've seen it, you know it all takes a dramatic turn, and because of how great she plays the character, it really pays off well.Generally, not the greatest movie, but 2 wonderful performances. Rachael McAdams was great, too, but Keaton was the more commanding role.

thats it.

godardian

Saraband received its actual U.S. release in 2005. It will figure prominently in my voting choices, as will Heath Ledger (among the film's other performances) in Brokeback Mountain. I vacillate between which was more difficult/great: Hoffman's self-effacing, spot-on embodiment of Capote, or Ledger's virtual self-obliteration as Ennis del Mar, a performance which to me stands alongside Holly Hunter's in The Piano or Samantha Morton's in Sweet and Lowdown for its astounding ability to express so much under the harsh weight of all that verbal and physical repression. Hoffman still had all those words with which to create his character, while Ledger was denied all but the barest verbiage and had to create his character physically, without a set-in-stone true-life model. I think of Ledger's Ennis as every bit as "real" as Hoffman's Capote. It puts one into the position of King Solomon to have to choose between the two, of course, but I will be voting for Ledger all the way.

It's simply too bad for David Straithairn that Hoffman did Capote the same year he did Murrow. Both great clonings, but it's clear to me which was more of an achievement. But also, while I don't think it would be possible to "overrate" either performance, I do find the "authenticity" obsession that comes along with their well-deserved acclaim to be a little along the lines of people swooning over the period accuracy of a Merchant-Ivory film. To me, personifying a well-known figure is neither as difficult nor as impressive inherently as many seem to think. It's a hell of a lot of work, but I don't think it's a more or less special kind of work than acting fictional characters--merely different.

I also think that everyone who found Cache/Hidden to be remarkable in the extreme needs to keep it in mind when it comes time to vote. Don't forget 2046, either--especially Doyle's cinematography and Raben's music--or any of the women of Broken Flowers (Lange, Conroy, even Stone) whose great (if temporally miniature) performances seem perfect for the "supporting" category.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

picolas

K. Knight (easy to forget because of the movie)

grand theft sparrow

Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd for Supporting Male Performance

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Jeremy Blackman

Please... someone vote Palindromes for Best Film... to make me feel better, if nothing else.