The 78th Annual Academy Awards: Winners List on Page 7

Started by MacGuffin, January 05, 2006, 12:48:07 AM

jigzaw

Quote from: Hedwig on March 05, 2006, 11:26:18 PM
Quote from: killafilm on March 05, 2006, 11:12:45 PM
Am I the only one going to suffer from nightmares with the image of Dolly?

I mean really she's 60!

no Dolly won't even have a CAMEO in my star-studded nightmares.

another thing I wanted to add to the list of things I liked: the montage about cinema relating to social justice was moving. it made me smile to see so many brilliant and important films being acknowledged.. my favourite was the short clip they played from the Woody Allen-starring "The Front," really wonderful and underrated.

and once again, bravo to Mr. Hoffman. definitely the most heartfelt speech of the night.

Yes!  So happy to see Woody Allen onscreen though I haven't seen The Front.  I really liked that segment, though I really had to laugh and scoff at The Day After Tomorrow being in the same friggin montage as Network and To Kill a Mockingbird, what the hell???
Loved Phil Seymore Hoffman winniing, but too bad he didnt' bark like a dog like he had promised as a teenager.  So glad he won, though.  So pissed about Crash.  I'll never doubt Roger Ebert again, the always-right bastard.

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

matt35mm

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 04, 2006, 12:31:15 PM
And there are no ads featuring either nominated or presenting talent. In other words, there will be no Nicole Kidman spots for Chanel No. 5. (There will, however, be an unusual two-minute American Express ad directed by and starring M. Night Shyamalan.)
By the way, even though I like M. Night more than most of you guys, that American Express commercial was not good.

i completely forgot about the oscars  :doh:. first time ever. i seriously don't care for the list at all, but i wanted to see jon stewart .

edit: i win this thread.
context, context, context.

sickfins

how could you not expect crash to win when it was foreshadowed all throughout the show on that huge marquee at the top

the academy's out of focus falling circles behind the words look suspiciously similar to the out of focus falling circles present in all crash promotional material

Jeremy Blackman

I watched the first 15 minutes and PSH's win. I skipped the rest. Kind of expected Crash to win. But really, didn't we all stop caring about the Oscars when Gladiator won?

polkablues

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 06, 2006, 01:41:57 AM
But really, didn't we all stop caring about the Oscars when Gladiator won?

I'm still reeling from Wings beating The Racket and Seventh Heaven back in '29.  Total bullshit.
My house, my rules, my coffee

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 06, 2006, 01:41:57 AM
But really, didn't we all stop caring about the Oscars when Gladiator won?

This isn't on the same level.  Gladiator winning is standard.  This is like if Chocolat won that year.

©brad

sweet monkey butt fucker.

best
clooney's speech (easily the best of the night)
PSH's speech (a close second)
weisz winning
altman's speech

worst
stewart (surprisingly mediocre. rock was better by a long shot).
everything else (including shymalan's AMEX commercial, which was laughably bad).

you guys actually expected crash to win cuz i sure as hell didn't! when nicholson announced it i seriously thought he was joking. munich or brokeback should've won, and the constant gardener should've been nominated over crash.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 06, 2006, 01:41:57 AMBut really, didn't we all stop caring about the Oscars when Gladiator won?

we pretend to not care but we all do.

i really feel stupid in saying this b/c godardian is right-- an award at the end of the day means little to nothing and has no effect on the actual quality of a film. as film enthusiasts, we tend to overreact over these things, especially with the oscars, which in all reality is more about fashion than film. crash winning means nothing. we all know that. so i think the best thing for all of us is to relax, take a deep breath, get on with our lives and pretend this whole thing didn't happen.

WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING?!

modage

it really doesnt matter what wins because the academy tends to gloss over history and when they put together those clip reels they include the movies that are still good and that people actually like and not the ones that won the awards.  look at the AFI list of the Greatest Films of All Time and then see how many of them actually won Best Picture. 

ps. Gladiator is good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

Quote from: ©brad on March 06, 2006, 08:28:51 AM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 06, 2006, 01:41:57 AMBut really, didn't we all stop caring about the Oscars when Gladiator won?

we pretend to not care but we all do.

That is sadly true, but at the same time I think it's more like 'this year they will get it right attitude', I mean there have been some years that they have got it right, right? Although those are so few.

Quote from: ©brad on March 06, 2006, 08:28:51 AM
i really feel stupid in saying this b/c godardian is right-- an award at the end of the day means little to nothing and has no effect on the actual quality of a film. as film enthusiasts, we tend to overreact over these things, especially with the oscars, which in all reality is more about fashion than film. crash winning means nothing. we all know that. so i think the best thing for all of us is to relax, take a deep breath, get on with our lives and pretend this whole thing didn't happen.

I second this.  :yabbse-thumbup:

There are countless of flims that don't win shit but survive the test of time, we all know them, or can you tell me without doing a search who beat Citizen Kane? I know I can't.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this...

Best
Both speeches of original screenplay and best picture were cut!  :laughing:

Worst
And the oscar goes to...Crash Trash

modage

Quote from: Hedwig on March 05, 2006, 11:26:18 PM
another thing I wanted to add to the list of things I liked: the montage about cinema relating to social justice was moving. it made me smile to see so many brilliant and important films being acknowledged.. my favourite was the short clip they played from the Woody Allen-starring "The Front," really wonderful and underrated.
i thought it was sneaky. 

the first montage: okay okay biopics.  gotcha, there are certainly a lot of those recently. 
the second montage: film noir?  okay, i like film noir, i'm not really sure what this has to do with anything...
the third montage: social justice.  aaah, now it makes sense.  they're disguising the fact that they wanted to pat themselves on the back and say 'see?  we're always right.'  i thought it was preparing us for brokeback to win, like 'you'll thank us later'.
the fourth montage: epics that we MUST see on the big screen!  the irony being that out of the 5 Best Picture nominees only Munich would really qualify as somewhat of a big screen experience.  most of the major nominations are made up of small indie-ish films that dont demand big screen viewing.  the other irony being showing mostly crowdpleasing movies that did not win any major oscars.  and when gyllenhaal says you have to keep the big screen experience they cut to mickey rooney shaking his head 'yes'. so listen mickey, if movies still cost a nickel i would see everything in the theatre.  i would go everyday.  but as it stands, i'm only going to see what i can.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: modage on March 06, 2006, 09:40:45 AM
it really doesnt matter what wins because the academy tends to gloss over history and when they put together those clip reels they include the movies that are still good and that people actually like and not the ones that won the awards. look at the AFI list of the Greatest Films of All Time and then see how many of them actually won Best Picture.

I count 33 of 100 won.  My concern is that this is one of the ones they'll be proud of in the future.  Like 30 years from now, "You think you know who you are, but you have no idea [This is the Diary of Racism :yabbse-grin:]," will be as highly regarded a line as "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore."  And that the clip of Thandie Newton being pulled out of the car before it explodes will be on the same level as Charles Foster Kane in front of that giant picture of himself.

What I can't wait for is Spike Lee to come out and say something.  You know it's coming; he's got a movie out soon.

The Red Vine

oh well, it's not like the Academy hasn't screwed up before. the important thing to remember is that Brokeback will probably be the movie remembered over time. And Crash probably will not. it might turn into one of those "damn, that movie was big when it first came out" kinda movies, but it will be remembered.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">