Film Trailers

Started by Recce, February 07, 2003, 10:43:14 PM

Recce

I was watching a movie earlier and I realized that every single trailer was pretty bad. So it got me thinking, which is the worst trailer you've ever seen? Which is the best?
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

BonBon85

Best: Magnolia
Worst: Anything that starts with "In a world."

xerxes

the trailer for comedian was great, and it started with "in a world."

...there goes your whole theory :wink:

RegularKarate

Yeah.. no shit.. speaking of the whole "In a World" thing, have you noticed that this new Antoine Fuquah/ Bruce Willis movie "Tears of the Sun"  (what a shitty title) trailer uses every cliched, cheesy line available?

"It was a routine rescue operation,
 But in a country at war with itself
 everything can change
  in a moment
  Now, behind enemy lines
  To complete his mission
   he would have to make the ultimate choice"

MacGuffin

Quote from: BonBon85Worst: Anything that starts with "In a world."

Or anything that has "...but all that is about to change."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Recce

One recent trailer that's really annoying me is the one for the hunted. its keeps flashing black frames for some reason. What the hell is the point of that? White frames i can understand, but black?

As for Tears of the sun, yeah, it is rpetty cheesy. I was starting to think Bruce Willis was becoming a pretty respectable actor, what with Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, but then he does this.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men

MacGuffin

Quote from: RecceOne recent trailer that's really annoying me is the one for the hunted.

Is it me or doesn't it look exactly like "First Blood" told all over again?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Recce

Yeah, it does seem similar, doesn't it.

I'm getting pretty tired of all those attempted montages, too. They never seem to come out right. Darren Aranofski should make trailers. I'd watch a Darren Aronofski trailer.

RegularKarate

Quote from: MacGuffinIs it me or doesn't it look exactly like "First Blood" told all over again?

HAH!  Yeah... that's funny because when I saw that in the theater, I immediately turned to my wife and just said "Rambo 4"

Duck Sauce

All the trailers that use the same music. Specifically the one that goes "lets get a party goin..." and those gothic chants that lead up to quick cuts in the end of a trailer, check the current "The Recruit" tv spots and listen at the end, you will know what I am talking about. In every movie.

Recce

I jsut saw one of the daredevil trailers with an ending like that. But the cuts didn't even match with the score beats. The hell, it's nort hard to sync it. Impact cutting people.

sphinx

one of the most amazing old trailers ever is the first half of the 'dr. strangelove' trailer.  i forget who designed it (specifically chosen by kubrick), but the man was waaay ahead of his time, and it's a really, really cool technique.  especially with the xylophone and stuff.

Recce

The Requiem for a Dream trailers were pretty good. Of course, it's pretty hard to make a bad trailer with such amazing footage, but still.

The actual movie was pretty bad, but  the million dollar hotel trailer was pretty good. Maybe it's jsut cause i like U2, though.

Ghostboy

I loovve talking about trailers (and I love cutting them too...any indie filmmakers want a trailer cut?)

My favorites (that I can think of right now)

THE SHINING (definitely the best)
Dark City
American Beauty
Clockwork Orange
Psycho

Recent trailers that were really good include The Ring teaser trailer, The Comedian and X2.

The trailer that I remember being the most pissed off at was for The Messenger. It was just a stunning trailer...and then the movie was such a let down. I was upset.

sphinx

Quote from: GhostboyThe Comedian

:(