Not-so-Classics, classics.

Started by Kev Hoffman, April 25, 2003, 12:07:26 PM

Ravi

Quote from: 72teethEver watch it with Floyd and on weeed?

Watched it with DSOM once, but wasn't high.

Pas

Quote from: GaramBlue Velvet

Underrated if anything ... read Neon's Blue Velvet appreciation post somewhere on the David Lynch forum if I remember correctly. Great stuff.

polkablues

Quote from: GaramGarden State, The Godfather films, The Hitcher, Blue Velvet, Gladiator, The Usual Suspects, Titanic, Schindlers List and ..... ohh.....Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Wrong, 2/3 wrong, right, right, right, wrong, right, wrong, and right.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

nobody but assholes would consider Garden State a classic, so that could go in this thread http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=6852 .  you had the right idea with the rest of them, though you could try to back them up with some thoughts as to why they're not as good as everyone says they are.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Quote from: GaramI thought this was a personal opinions thread?

It is.  Those were my personal opinions.   :kiss:

polkablues

Quote from: GaramHaha, i knew that would be the reply. I was foolish to pull out the opinions card.

Don't get me wrong, I respect your right to have opinions about movies, and while I may not agree with them, I would die to defend your right to have them... I just can't not like "Garden State", no matter how many people tell me I should (although, yeah, "classic" would be a little strong).

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Like it or hate it, Garden State can't be considered a classic.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

So we're settled.  Everyone here likes Garden State.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Garam

Godfather's good, but it's not THE GREATEST FILM OF ALL TIME like so many people say it is, so that does make it pretty fucking overrated.

The title of the thread being "not so classic classics" - you obvious think that this is an embraced film that doesnt desrve the status in which it's regarded.

this is quite a stupid arguement on any account - if you think godfather doesnt desrve its "classic status" - what does?

Godfather is a classic and its not overrated - if you want to root for underdogs, that's fine - but your opinion at the end of the day really doesnt change whether or not this film is a classic.

What film is not overrated, not underrated, but perfectly rated?
...your excuses are your own...

polkablues

Quote from: cowboykurtisWhat film is not overrated, not underrated, but perfectly rated?

Die Hard

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pas Rap
Quote from: GaramBlue Velvet

Underrated if anything ... read Neon's Blue Velvet appreciation post somewhere on the David Lynch forum if I remember correctly. Great stuff.

yo, thanks man :yabbse-grin:

garam, you might not make much sense....
how could you lump blue velvet and the godfather films with garden state.??? :cry:

as a general rule remeber lynch is always underrated..and yes, i say this with my own biasede opinion...but i think it can be backed up and proven to be fact.....

RegularKarate

Quote from: GaramI like The Godfather, i think it's great, but it is so goddamn overrated. I prefer Once Upon a Time in America.

I don't believe you... seriously, you HAVE to just be saying this... who could possibly say this and mean it?

Gold Trumpet

How about everyone just admit throwing out movie titles in this manner is dumb anyways.

modage

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: GaramI like The Godfather, i think it's great, but it is so goddamn overrated. I prefer Once Upon a Time in America.

I don't believe you... seriously, you HAVE to just be saying this... who could possibly say this and mean it?
truly.  OUATIA is like puke on godfathers shoes.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Tictacbk

Quote from: cowboykurtisWhat film is not overrated, not underrated, but perfectly rated?

Back to the future