Inside Out

Started by MacGuffin, October 02, 2014, 03:43:27 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: June 19, 2015

Starring: Mindy Kaling, Bill Hader, Amy Poehler, Phyllis Smith, Lewis Black, Kaitlyn Dias

Director: Pete Docter

Premise: Growing up can be a bumpy road, and it's no exception for Riley, who is uprooted from her Midwest life when her father starts a new job in San Francisco. Like all of us, Riley is guided by her emotions - Joy, Fear, Anger, Disgust and Sadness. The emotions live in Headquarters, the control center inside Riley's mind, where they help advise her through everyday life. As Riley and her emotions struggle to adjust to a new life in San Francisco, turmoil ensues in Headquarters. Although Joy, Riley's main and most important emotion, tries to keep things positive, the emotions conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house and school.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

I hope this is great & a return to form for Pixar who badly need a creative 'hit' but not especially jazzed from that teaser. I don't looove the look of the emotions, the colors & character designs look kinda cheap, hopefully better in context.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I'm intrigued, and I'll support anything Pixar does that's not a lazy cash-in sequel, but I hope the entire movie doesn't rest on hacky gender-stereotype humor.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Lottery

I really enjoyed that trailer. Pete Docter is quality.

Just Withnail

Quote from: polkablues on December 10, 2014, 03:24:27 PM
but I hope the entire movie doesn't rest on hacky gender-stereotype humor.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried after that trailer. The concept is too good to waste on those jokes.

samsong

duuuude.

it's GREAT.  made me laugh, made me cry.  pete docter still batting 1.000 for me.

RIP bingbong.

also, worst pixar short ever?  to be fair the only ones i remember/love are "for the birds" and the magician's rabbit one, but jesus, this was one was a rough sit.

polkablues

Yeah, just saw this last night. Beautifully executed movie. Full of great ideas. Emotional as all hell. Perfectly cast.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

I enjoyed the song in the opening short. People in the audience reacted to the short (dads repeating and laughing at "lava you" one dad late in the song was like "lol oh lava you"). Thought it was a charming short and a great mood setter, although the main volcano's mouth movement looked unimpressive. But I liked its spirit.

Alexandro

I was really turned off by the character design in this, even from the teasers. I felt I was looking at some random cellphone app characters from the 00's or something. I think is fair to say that even counting Cars, this is Pixar's weakest film as far as that goes. Yet...

By the time it ended I was completely won over. Like, this is some truly weird shit they came up with and it works wonderfully and it made me cry. Very complex concept turned into an easily comprehensible fun ride, all in all probably Pixar's best offering since Up.

that short film was fucking lame, though.

samsong

pete docter's definitely a fan of physicality speaking volumes about character, and especially for animation it's a great tool for economic storytelling, but i agree when i first saw the images for this movie i was pretty deflated.  saw an intervew where docter talked about what they were going for and it's the most on-the-nose they've ever been.

heartening to find out that this movie's genesis came from docter struggling with his own daughter entering adolescence, and his desire to understand her and what she was going through and empathizing with that period of youth.  i imagine knowing this is going to make subsequent viewings that much more impactful.  i know of no other family movie that encourages discourse about difficult emotions, or emotions generally considered negative.  it's usually just pulling heart strings and sentimentality.  so for a pixar movie, with all its reach and influence, to address something like melancholy so directly and with such sensitivity,  i'm edified and grateful this movie exists.  i wish 11 year old me could've seen it. 

modage

Quote from: samsong on July 01, 2015, 05:57:29 AM
i wish 11 year old me could've seen it.
I brought my 4 1/2 year old niece to a screening of this a few weeks ago and she loved it though the complex stuff went over her head. However, I think if this movie becomes a part of her life, watching it over and over, etc. as she gets older it really will help her deal with that age. This will be an important movie for kids/humanity.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Lottery

Very good stuff. Not top-tier Pixar stuff but I'm glad up they're back up to this level. Kudos to Pete Docter for never letting Pixar down.
Man, that scene near the end- that exhale/smile is definitely a top Pixar moment. Just blew me away.

Quote from: Alexandro on June 30, 2015, 11:40:35 PM
I was really turned off by the character design in this, even from the teasers. I felt I was looking at some random cellphone app characters from the 00's or something. I think is fair to say that even counting Cars, this is Pixar's weakest film as far as that goes. Yet...

The design was a little inconsistent in terms of quality. There were a number of great visual ideas but some of it didn't work for me. How about them textures though? Incredible. Monsters Inc remains Docter's best in terms of visual style (and best overall).

Music was highly respectable- Giachinno doing his thing. Anyway, great concept and great characters. Damn decent movie.
Makes me somewhat optimistic for the future of Pixar. I mean The Good Dinosaur has had its share of production troubles (not unusual for Pixar), then you have Stanton kinda forced into making a Nemo sequel and Lasseter is directing again (and his last two have been less than special)...but you know, things might turn out okay.

cronopio 2

"take her to the moon for me, okay?"

god dammit.

in a way, it felt good to know that i can still feel emotions, even if it's for representations of emotions.

Garam

Pixar have been boring since Monsters Inc. Can't comprehend how anyone would want to watch this unless treating children to a day out.