Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

csage97

You get to hang out around movie sets and overhear talks between Tarantino and Robert Richardson, wilberfan? Now that's cool. I'm going to have to do a "Where's Waldo?" search for you in that video. Wait ... I just saw you. Nice.  :yabbse-grin:

Damn, seeing all the set dressing has got me ultra giddy. I'm just a sucker for that period, the art, the culture, the cars, etc. "Perfectly browned low tar cigarettes" on that bus .... Damn. I like how the cameraman just casually says, "There's Tarantino," and points him out.

I don't want to get my hopes up for this one too much and be let down, but I really doubt that'll happen. Tarantino hasn't made a movie I've disliked.

wilberfan

It was really interesting.  Anyone think I should volunteer to do an AMA?   :wink:

csage97

Maybe I will at some point ask you some general questions about your experience of history and film in LA. You'd be a cool person to sit and have a beer with.

©brad

Nice vid man, thanks for sharing. I'm really excited about this movie.

wilberfan

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' Joins Cannes' Competition Roster

QuoteThe suspense is over: Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" will indeed have its world premiere and compete at the Cannes Film Festival, the fest announced Thursday.

The star-studded movie has been widely anticipated as a festival highlight but wasn't included in Cannes' official selection announcement on April 18. Artistic director Thierry Fremaux told journalists several times that day that he hoped for post-production on Tarantino's film to be completed in time for the film to be shown at the festival. Fremaux said Tarantino was eager to be back at Cannes and was working hard to finish the film by May, which was a challenge because it was shot in 35mm, which takes longer to edit than digital film, and is slated for a July release.

"We were afraid the film would not be ready, as it wouldn't be released until late July, but Quentin Tarantino, who has not left the editing room in four months, is a real, loyal and punctual child of Cannes!" Fremaux said Thursday. "Like for 'Inglourious Basterds,' he'll definitely be there – 25 years after the Palme d'Or for 'Pulp Fiction' – with a finished film screened in 35mm and his cast in tow." Fremaux described the film as a "love letter to the Hollywood of his childhood, a rock music tour of 1969, and an ode to cinema as a whole."

Source

Alethia

Drenk

Good timing. It's screening right now at Cannes.

Nice trailer. But I still have a hard time imagining how Tate fits in that movie?

(Is he worried that he's has been because The Hateful Eight made less money than Django?)
Ascension.

Alethia

I find the apparent liberties being taken with the Charlie/Sharon Tate part of it a bit concerning

SPOILER (the Manson girls skipping down Cielo at night with knives brandished etc)...

Honestly don't know how to feel about any of this based on the trailer. I'm excited, but it also looks like it could just be Tarantino's greatest hits.

Drenk

Sharon Tate is not gonna die in this movie, right? That's the silliest thing with Basterds and Django: the revenge fantasy. Cinema saves history? Cinema saves people? It is joyful in a way, yes; I like watching these scenes a lot...But I also find them insulting. No. You didn't kill Hitler. You didn't save anyone. And the pulp of Django shies away from the reality of racism—or the harshness just seems to be there in order for us to be happy when the bad guys are violently destroyed which, yes, works on my nervous system. But then...

The violence of society in the Hateful Eight is a part of the world. I'd be disappointed if he's "saving history from itself" again.
Ascension.

Robyn

A few small spoilers in there. No big ones, but it reveals what direction he's going with it.

Robyn

From an early review:
Spoiler: ShowHide
QuoteThe film takes its time, to the point where at times it starts to feel sluggish – but even the slower moments have delicious touches or wonderful cameos (ladies and gentlemen, Bruce Freakin' Dern!) And slowly but surely, this bravura homage builds up to ... something.

And that's where the film becomes difficult to write about. Tarantino doesn't want reviewers revealing "anything that would prevent later audiences from experiencing this film in the same way" that we did, and it's probably inevitable that I've already done that. But I'm not going to say anymore, because he's right that the film needs to be experienced with fresh eyes, and its spectacular conclusion shouldn't be foreshadowed.

https://www.thewrap.com/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-film-review-a-contemplative-quentin-tarantino-still-blows-the-roof-off-cannes/

Yeah, I won't be reading more than this. Let's keep this thread spoiler-free in the future.

Alethia

Oh God, this all has me worried. I feel like my worst fears are going to be realized...

Something Spanish

Love the new trailer, much more than the teaser. Looks like a masterpiece. Haven't been this excited for one of his since Vol. 1

Robyn

Quote from: eward on May 21, 2019, 01:45:17 PM
Oh God, this all has me worried. I feel like my worst fears are going to be realized...

People aren't too upset about it though, so maybe he's doing it with good taste? Not sure how that would work, but let's see.

I've seen a few tweets that has compared the film to Jackie Brown and called it more mature and lowkey than Tarantino's latest efforts. That makes me very excited about it.

Super small spoiler:
Spoiler: ShowHide
Apparently there's a 5 minute scene where Tate walks down a street to buy a book in a bookstore. Why does that sound so good? I can't wait to spend time with this film, lol