Top 10 UNDERRATED movies EVER!

Started by GodDamnImDaMan, September 03, 2003, 02:56:39 AM

ono

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaDick Tracy

I love Danny Elfman's score to that movie. It's some of his best stuff.

ono

Agreed.  That's one of the things I love most about the movie.  Plus, the cinematography, the dialogue, the characters, the use of color -- pretty much everything about it.  Ebert gave it four stars, but it's only got a 5.7 rating on IMDb.  I don't know why more people don't like it.  When I was a kid I'd watch it over and over again, and I brought it up 'cause I saw it on HBO last night.  It's just so perfect.

Weak2ndAct

QuoteYes, these are good ones -- especially Point Blank. This film was way ahead of its time. It is one of John Boorman's best films. It also needs to be put on DVD.

Miami Blues is cool. Haven't seen Saint Jack since it came out, but it was sort of a comeback film for Bogdanovich

Why Point Blank isn't out yet truly boggles my mind-- I mean it's an MGM title and they put anything and everything out (and cheap).

Saint Jack is out on dvd under the 'Roger Corman Presents' banner.  There's a good commentary track, but the transfer is rancid.  Still worth picking up though if you can find a deal.

mutinyco

Yeah, I'd go with A.I. and Minority Report -- though I don't know how underrated they are. But I think just about everything else mentioned deserves to be underrated.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Jeremy Blackman

I thought A.I. was overrated. (didn't like the Spielberg ending)

mutinyco

You didn't get the ending. It wasn't a "Spielberg ending." It was the most subversive conclusion to a film I've seen in a long time.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

RegularKarate

Quote from: mutinycoYou didn't get the ending. It wasn't a "Spielberg ending." It was the most subversive conclusion to a film I've seen in a long time.

While I didn't think AI was overrated, a "subversive conclusion" it did not have.

How did JB not GET the ending?  

Pompousness hardly flatters anyone

cine

Quote from: mutinycoYou didn't get the ending. It wasn't a "Spielberg ending." It was the most subversive conclusion to a film I've seen in a long time.

What translates to you as 'subversive' may come across to someone else as 'too spielberg'. I also fall into the latter category.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: RegularKaratePompousness hardly flatters anyone
I like that..

A.I. too for this jj was too long, worn out and overdone, the ending, makin' me wish I had the remote closer by ...if I were stanley k. I would be flippin' in my bed.  someone owns me 146 minutes.

agreed on the endin'...I didn't mind this as I like jude law if nothing else, but the ending killed it for me....

Jeremy Blackman

I loved the movie until the end. I loved it, which is why I hated the ending so much. It should have ended in the ice.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI It should have ended in the ice.
exactly...and honestly I thought that was the endin' while watchin' this....and was pleased, then it went on to distory my already fond feelings.  ...grrrr

Banky

Cruel Intentions.  

I thought this movie was great and wasnt apprecited b/c everyone considered it a teen movie.

mutinyco

Do you guys fully comprehend the ending? The kid is thawed years later by super machines. They find him special because he is the last machine in known existence to have had direct contact with humans -- who were ultimately responsible for creating the machines which now populate Earth.

David was programmed to always have the mentality of a child. His reasoning would never mature. He would always love Monica. The ending with his mother never actually happened in the physical world. The super machines simply programmed him to have this final memory as a debt of gratitude.

He doesn't become a real boy at the end. He's terminated. Dead.

By dying, he's now like every human that ever existed: dead. Everybody dies in the end. Only humanity is incapable of reconciling this. So we create religion to comfort us and technology to extend and make our lives more comfortable. And it's these things which are ultimately our downfall.

What you mistook as a happy ending is really the DEATH OF HUMANITY. By David being terminated the last link with humanity is terminated. And as a mecha programmed to love, perhaps that dies with him as well.

This is the most subversive thing I can imagine -- dressing up the apocalypse with overdone sentiment, tricking people into thinking they're watching one thing while something else entirely is taking place.

-St. Joe

Pubrick

Quote from: mutinycoDo you guys fully comprehend the ending?
yes.
under the paving stones.