46th new york film festival.

Started by samsong, October 03, 2008, 03:13:44 AM

Stefen

It's not a bad lineup. Nothing mind blowing but it could have tons of surprises. New Almodovar and Claire Denis is always nice.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Astrostic

I really don't see how someone who claims to be a cinephile could look at a line-up that includes new films by Haneke, Denis, Wajda, Porumboiu, Costa, Bong, Martin, Dumont, de Oliveira, Breillat, Rivette (!), Resnais, and Ade and be disappointed.  This is easily the most exciting NYFF line-up since I've been paying attention to cinema as art.  and why call for more USA films? you'll see them in a couple of months anyway.

modage

never claimed to be a cinephile.  just think the festival should mix it up.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Astrostic

Alexandro

JG

RegularKarate

Quote from: Astrostic on August 12, 2009, 01:12:13 PM
I really don't see how someone who claims to be a cinephile could ...

This is an attitude that needs dropping, my friend.  He was being honest.  Even if he "claims to be a cinephile", he could easily be a cinephile who's not really into this list.

I love foreign films just as much as the next guy, but if I were going to a film festival, I'd probably want a break from subtitles eventually.  It's a matter of taste and preference too... I like capers and lox, you like shit in a box... does that mean I'm better than you somehow?  No.

Stefen

He apologized. No harm, no foul.

I really do wish I was a bigger cinephile. I don't know very many of those names  :oops:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Alexandro

well, now you have a chance to get to know some of those names. truly, it is a notable lineup. I would personally try to catch Resnais, Rivette, Almodovar, Haneke, Von Trier, Breillat, Manoel de Oliveira (who is hit or miss but always pretty interesting), Dumont, Solondz, Bong Joon Ho, Pedro Costa, Wadja and Claire Denis. Also, great chance to see The Wizard of Oz on the big screen.

Astrostic

Quote from: RegularKarate on August 19, 2009, 12:04:04 PM
This is an attitude that needs dropping, my friend.  He was being honest.  Even if he "claims to be a cinephile", he could easily be a cinephile who's not really into this list.

I love foreign films just as much as the next guy, but if I were going to a film festival, I'd probably want a break from subtitles eventually.  It's a matter of taste and preference too... I like capers and lox, you like shit in a box... does that mean I'm better than you somehow?  No.

I think you're being more hostile than I was, but whatever. 

'Cinephile' means someone who loves movies, no? you guys post regularly on a movie forum, actively discussing, debating, and obsessing about recent developments in the cinema.  Maybe you're not "claiming to be cinephiles", but to me, you're still cinephiles.  When cinephiles become complacent in only scratching the surface of the best of world cinema, I am bothered, and it makes me want to promote what they are missing.  If you or anyone else is not a fan of any of the names that I mentioned because you are not familiar with them, then you should be thanking anyone or any festival that is bringing these filmmakers to your attention.  If you are not fans because you have seen their work and it is not for you, then that is another story, no filmmaker will appeal to everyone.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: Astrostic on August 21, 2009, 06:29:10 PM
I think you're being more hostile than I was, but whatever. 

You're misreading I think (and to be fair, I also probably read more hostility in your post than was intended).  I just said that the attitude of "you're not a cinephile if you don't like those movies" is lame.

I agree that someone who really loves movies should seek out more than just the domestic.
Though when I posted that, Mod hadn't said "I've never heard of any of those guys... phooey" so it looked to me like you were basically saying "you don't like those guys, you're no cinephile!", but I guess you were really just assuming it meant he didn't like foreign films.

Anyway, I wasn't being hostile and am not looking for an argument.

modage

decided to switch Life During Wartime for White Ribbon.  just got my tix in the mail for Broken Embraces, Mother, White Ribbon and A Conversation w/Almodóvar.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

i never get tickets but would like to see trash humpers and the denis movie and like a million others.

edit: guess im going to trash humpers.

Astrostic

I just saw a handful of the films playing in nyff at the toronto film festival.  Of the ones I saw, I would say that Wild Grass, Hadewijch, Police Adjective, To Die Like a Man, White Material, and White Ribbon are essential, don't miss them if you have the time (Wild Grass is my favorite this year so far).  Independencia, Lebanon, and Trash Humpers are skippable (especially the Korine, unless you want to be involved in the heated debate that is growing between those who despise it and the confused).  Also, based on what I've heard of Everyone Else, I wouldn't miss it.