Salem's Lot (starring Rob Lowe)

Started by Find Your Magali, June 15, 2004, 10:27:19 PM

Find Your Magali

Well, it has a great cast (Rob Lowe, Andre Braugher, James Cromwell, etc.) but I'm pretty dubious about this TV remake. ... The Tobe Hooper miniseries from the late 70s remains possibly the scariest made-for-television movie in history (except for, possibly, "Special Bulletin") ... Anyway, when I think of Salem's Lot, I think of David Soul and James Mason and Bonnie Bedelia and kids scratching on windows and that Nosferatu-looking monster. I will watch this TV movie and I imagine it will be well-done, but I can't imagine the original being outdone.

Raikus

I haven't seen the old mini-series, but I have seen the movie. Guaranteed this new mini can't be worse than that.

Coincidence that the mini is coming out just after "Song of Susannah" hit shelves? Pretty good timing for those interested in Callahan like myself.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Find Your Magali

The "movie" you speak of IS the miniseries. ... It was re-edited together into a whole, some gory stuff was added and it was released in European theatres.

So you didn't like it?

Raikus

I thought it (the old version) was one of the worst adaptations I'd ever seen. Thanks for setting me right on the origins of it.

I watched last night and it was better than I thought it would be (I've always held very low expectations for TV miniseries). Hopefully tonight's installment won't mess it up to bad.
---------------------------------
Just finished watching the ending. I really liked the production and direction. Hell, even the acting was really good for a mini. But why the hell mess with the Callahan story so damn much? They just screwed up everything revealed in 'Wolves of Calla' and for what good reason? To vilify the religious figure? I just don't get some screenwriters and their need to mess with author's continuity.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Sleuth

Does Donald Sutherland hate himself?  

Rutger Hauer and the kid were really good.

I don't forgive bad CGI as easily as I forgive bad makeup.

Gay black man, cool, the whole birds and stone thing.

I think somebody could take all the cool parts from both movies and make one pretty good one
I like to hug dogs