Xixax Awards 2005

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2005, 09:24:23 PM

SHAFTR

Put the noms up, I'm excited.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Jeremy Blackman

THE RESULTS ARE IN.

Important: Do Not Vote Yet[/b]. We'll get to that soon...

BEST FILM
The Aviator
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Kill Bill Vol. 2
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Sideways

BEST DIRECTOR
Michel Gondry  - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Michael Mann - Collateral
Alexander Payne - Sideways
Martin Scorsese - The Aviator
Quentin Tarantino - Kill Bill Vol. 2

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE
Catalina Sandino Moreno - Maria Full of Grace
Natalie Portman - Closer
Hillary Swank - Million Dollar Baby
Uma Thurman - Kill Bill Vol. 2
Kate Winslet - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE
Jim Carrey - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Aviator
Jamie Foxx - Ray
Paul Giamatti - Sideways
Clive Owen - Closer

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE PERFORMANCE
Cate Blanchett - The Aviator
Kirsten Dunst - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Laura Linney - Kinsey
Virginia Madsen - Sideways
Darryl Hannah - Kill Bill Vol. 2

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE
David Carradine - Kill Bill Vol. 2
Willem Dafoe - The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby
Mark Ruffalo - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Peter Sarsgaard - Kinsey

BEST SCREENPLAY
The Aviator
Before Sunset
I Heart Huckabees
Sideways

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Aviator
Collateral
Hero
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC
The Aviator
I Heart Huckabees
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zizou
Sideways

BEST EDITING
The Aviator
I Heart Huckabees
Kill Bill Vol. 2
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

BEST SOUND
The Aviator
Collateral
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Spider-Man 2

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
The Aviator
The Day After Tomorrow
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Spider-Man 2

BEST DEBUT FILM
Garden State
Napoleon Dynamite
Shaun of the Dead
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Tarnation

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Control Room
Fahrenheit 9/11
Super Size Me
Tarnation
Touching the Void

BEST DVD RELEASE
John Cassavetes: Five Films (Criterion Collection)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Extended Edition)
Short Cuts (Criterion Collection)
Star Wars Trilogy

modage

ew, no incredibles and shaun of the dead only for 'debut'?   :yabbse-angry:

also: i'm surprised that with all the before sunset love going around here it wasnt up for like.... A LOT more.  as in, the freaking ACADEMY AWARDS have recognized the film exactly as much as we have....once.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

life_boy

Quote from: themodernage02also: i'm surprised that with all the before sunset love going around here it wasnt up for like.... A LOT more.

With all the seeming disappointment over Life Aquatic I'm surprised to see it under Best Picture.  You never can tell with these sorts of things.

ono

I know 'xaxers love Anderson and all, but Life Aquatic wasn't one of the best pics of the year.  Neither was Kibblev2.  Oh well.  And no love for any of the technical aspects of A Very Long Engagement, either, which is unfortunate.  Not to mention The Dreamers got totally ignored.  At least we CAN say the Best Picture nominations are definitely representative of the prevailing tastes here.

Before Sunset got recognized for screenplay, as it should have, because that was the best part about it.  I wouldn't have minded seeing Delpy get acting recognition, but there were so many other great performances too.

Kal

Many of my options were selected... and some werent and then replaced by something stupid like Kirsten Dunst for Best Supporting in Eternal Sunshine, when she almost did nothing... and The Life Aquatic earning so many nominations... also the Seinfeld DVD is one of the best DVDs ever made (not only if you like the show, but the materials and extras) and it didnt get nominated. Oh well... democracy :)

Jeremy Blackman

At least we nominated Paul Giamatti.

No one has mentioned the inexplicable lack of Dogville. That's really the biggest mistake.

Sleuth

Remember, you can only vote if you turned in your list of nominations and at least 3 of your picks had the first slot on the respective category lists
I like to hug dogs

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
No one has mentioned the inexplicable lack of Dogville. That's really the biggest mistake.

:yabbse-thumbdown:  :shock:  :evil:  :shock:  :yabbse-thumbdown:

I'd say that KBV2 took the spot of Dogville, although I really don't know if other members had it on their noms, mine's had it all over the place.

Myxo

..I love how people put Eternal Sunshine up for Best Sound and Visual Effects..

I see that movie filled the PTA void nicely for alot of people this year.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Myxomatosis..I love how people put Eternal Sunshine up for Best Sound and Visual Effects...

Well, it did deserve the Visual Effects nom.  A lot of the effects were done on camera, which requires a lot of skill and setup.  Just because it wasn't  post-production doesn't mean it's not a "visual effect."  

The Sound nom is justified, too.  The beeps and static and random sounds used in the main characters mind were used dramatically (and appropriately) to show blah blah blah (character's state of mind, the erasing of memories, etc.)

Anyway, the Noms seem pretty good.  Though "Baadassss!" and "Zatoichi" (a couple of my favorites from the year) are missing.

Oh, and can anyone tell me how many people voted?  The noms from "Million Dollar Baby" make me question the validity.  Who has seen this movie yet?

Slick Shoes

I didn't vote because there's so much I still haven't seen. Off the top of my head: The Aviator, I Heart Huckabees, Kinsey, Ray, Collateral, Closer, Maria Full of Grace, Hero, Spiderman 2, Bad Education, Tarnation, Overnight, Sky Captain, Team America, Brown Bunny, Shaun of the Dead etc etc

RegularKarate

Not enough people voted.

Increbles ALMOST made it in a lot of categories, which is my biggest disapointment.

Badassssss was okay, but it's overrated... I'm glad it didn't get nominated.

Kill Bill was over nominated.

It's really everyone's fault because you didn't vote.

Kal

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: Slick ShoesI didn't vote because there's so much I still haven't seen.

Likewise.   :oops:   I'm always about a year behind on most of the good stuff.  

2LB
Body by Guinness