The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

picolas

whoa. BIG xaxclusive!

..quoted for no page backtracking.

Quote from: forizzer69 on February 03, 2010, 09:22:29 PM
Alright, alright. I get you guys now. To P who wrote the lengthiest and most eyeopening response: Thanks, I get what you mean now. Sure, sure, I'll post 4 pages in a row to enlighten you guys on the matter and all that. I understand what you mean by leaving personal opinion out of it, but if I'm going to spend time putting together insight and a lengthy synopsis, I feel I'll devote a section to how one would interpret it. I thought the theme he was driving at was very competently construction even as a first draft. I don't imagine there'd be too many revisions because the whole religion philosophy is essential to the story; almost everything drives to what I was explaining. But perhaps I did jump the gun, but I'm in no way attempting to outguess him.

I know it's arduous if you're not looking for opinion, but there's a bit more plot unearthed in my opinion (as I'm sure you know). Plus I thought it was pretty obvious as to what he was digging at, so to explain that hardly seemed harmful. In fact I thought it would prove that I had it because there was more depth and understanding, haha. Oh and there isn't much missing, I tried to make that clear on a revision. There are only about 3 instances of him going "Add Dialogue" in menial areas, like tertiary characters speaking to one and other on a cruise. But maybe Anderson is notorious for changing a lot throughout drafts, so I wouldn't know.

To the guy that said I should have been more aware about the script's rareness/lack of reviews... well, I didn't go off and google to see. I just figured because I'm hardly anyone special that bigger and more well known people on the internet would have gotten it and read it. I know it sounds even worse of me to say this, but I had the script in my possession for a good couple of days before I 'flipped' the first page. Even if the person giving it to me got it fresh, that still would've given room for others to read and review it.

Here's a string of pages:

There you go... make of it as you wish.

Pubrick

just in time for the 10th-page highlight reel.
under the paving stones.

Gittes

Now Jeffrey Wells of Hollywood-Elsewhere has his hands on the script:

Wells talks about something that is said by Hoffman's character near the end of the film in the following quote:

Quote from: In its announcement story, Variety wrote that "the drama does not so much scrutinize self-started churches like Scientology or the Mormons, as much as it explores the need to believe in a higher power, the choice of which one to embrace and the point at which a belief system graduates into a religion."

That's a smokescreen statement. I was sent a copy of PTA's untitled script yesterday and while I haven't read all of it, it sure reads like a Scientology critique to me. I'm particularly thinking of a line near the end in which Hoffman's "Master" presents a contact that he wants Freddie to sign that stipulates he "will serve the Cause above all other laws and regulations in this or any other neighboring galaxy for three billion years." That sounds kinda Hubbardy...no?

Stefen

Can someone please get their hands on this and pass it around?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

there's a member called foreplayjizzer69 or something who has it.

picolas

fuck i kinda wish i hadn't read that line but it's pretty exciting. hopefully not too massive a spoil.

Derek

In the comments section of Hollywood Elsewhere someone calls the script a fake, with nothing to back it up. Strange that there's been nothing from PTA on the leak, maybe it hasn't been widespread enough..and it is unlike him to have his work out in the world like this when there hasn't even been a greenlight yet.

That said, I'd also love to read the script if someone is able to send it to me.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Stefen

Didn't the CMBB script leak early as well?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Derek

I don't think so, not as early. It was posted on the official website a few weeks before the release though.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on February 09, 2010, 08:59:58 PM
Didn't the CMBB script leak early as well?

I had an early draft over a year before the film was released.

72teeth

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 09, 2010, 09:20:30 PM

I had an early draft over a year before the film was released.

How similar is it to the final cut?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Gold Trumpet

I didn't read it. I just had it.

Pubrick

10th page highlights reel!

in this post, i recap the highlights from the last 5 pages.

previous entry: 5th page recap.

page 5
[no highlights]

page 6
pretty much the whole page was devoted to sleeper's abbreviation of CMBB to CM, which prompted cine to say what we were all thinking:
Quote from: cine on December 07, 2009, 01:18:18 AM
its ridiculous that i see somebody say "CM" and i instantly accept that as "There Will Be Blood".

which in turn prompted me to recap the entire evolution of the term. a useful read for newbs (or regulars who've been living under a rock of love, eg. pas).

page 7
[absolutely no highlights]

page 8
what looked to be another waste of space and time was saved at the last minute by modage posting forizzer69's script review

page 9
forizzer69 blasts this page off with his introduction and before the page is done he gives us our very own exclusive peek at a few pages from a script of still-undertermined authenticity. definitely makes up for the snoozefest that was page 7.

page 10
Quote from: Pozer on February 09, 2010, 05:16:39 PM
foreplayjizzer69
under the paving stones.

forizzer69

Quote from: Pozer on February 09, 2010, 05:16:39 PM
there's a member called foreplayjizzer69 or something who has it.
forizzer69. It's my old MSN name from when I was in Grade 5 or something. People kept going "forshizzle" and "rizzer" and all that Snoop Dogg slang, so I made up my own term. It stuck.

However, I see the infancy in you hasn't yet dissipated. Nice. Could you dedicate one of your fingerpaintings to me?

Stefen

Gimme a copy of the script and I'll pwn every single person in this board for you.

Sorry, guys. I know we've been posting together for going on 7 years but you would do the same.