death to smoochy

Started by snaporaz, April 24, 2003, 12:24:08 AM

snaporaz

i saw it for the first time a couple nights ago. i thought it blew.

was it a lame attempt at satire, or was i right in thinking it wasn't satire at all but should have been?

what a fucking lame pop-culture machine-gunner and a large snowball of cheese.

Ghostboy

It's so horrible. It tries soooo painfully hard to be 'dark.'  I know there was something I liked about it originally, but I can't think of it now. Maybe it was just my imagination. Yeah, probably my imagination.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

oakmanc234

What a major misfire. It just didn't work nor was it FUNNY. Williams gave it a shred of spark at times but Norton was truly cringe worthy (a sign of how bad it was). I'll pretty much remember it for being the first film that I DIDN'T like Edward Norton in and the flick that Williams swore alot in. Hopefully DeVito's new Ben Stiller/Drew Barrymoore dark comedy 'Duplex' won't be a repeat of 'Smootchy'.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

manvstrees

Quote from: snaporazi saw it for the first time a couple nights ago. i thought it blew.

was it a lame attempt at satire, or was i right in thinking it wasn't satire at all but should have been?

what a fucking lame pop-culture machine-gunner and a large snowball of cheese.

wait.
whats wrong with this movie exactly?
i didn't think it tried any harder to be any darker than it was.
it was pretty funny.
finally eye candy was combined with the right amount of cheeseball attitude it warrants.  jon stewart was wasted in the film, but other than that, i have no complaints.
the ending sequence is one of the greatest things i've ever seen.
maestro sartori wants a bit of glory...

cachilders

I liked it, but then, I had no expectations. It was an interesting take on Dahl sensibilities in a darker context. Maybe it would have been more at home in the eighties, but I doubt it.
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my
dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a
straight razor, and surviving.

CollinBullock

You know, tehre were defiently points in the movie I liked, and I laughed a lot, but it just wasn't full of venom like it should have been.  Especially the ending, which was just a lame ass forced happy scrappy hero thing.
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam

Xixax

This wasn't as bad as I had assumed it would be. I rather enjoyed it, in fact. It's not often that something with DeVito's name attached to it is actually watchable. I didn't think it was that bad.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

polkablues

The only thing that really made me laugh was "Your Stepdad's Not Mean, He's Just Adjusting".  The film as a whole just felt awkward and aimless.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Keener

I enjoyed it. Alot. A real lot. Shoot me if you want.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Alethia