Keith Bunin
Michael Cunningham

Cast
Colin Farrell (Bobby Morrow)
Robin Wright Penn (Clare)
Sissy Spacek (Alice Glover)
Dallas Roberts (Jonathan Glover)

Synopsis
From the Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Cunningham (The Hours), "A HOME AT THE END OF THE WORLD" is a story that chronicles a dozen years in the lives of two best friends who couldn't be more different.

From suburban Cleveland in the 60s, to New York City in the 80s, where they meet an older woman, the film charts a journey of trials, triumphs, loves and losses. Now the question is: can they navigate the unusual triangle they've created and hold their friendship together?

Trailer Here

More stills Here
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

matt35mm

I remember reading that the director didn't want Farrell for the movie.  But Farrell wanted the role so much and persisted, eventually convincing the director.  That usually means it's gonna be a great performance, similar to Halle Berry for Monster's Ball.

And I like Farrell, I think he's a very good actor.  So I'm interested.

Ghostboy

Farrell is a great actor, and, also like Berry in Monster's Ball, he goes the full monty in this one.  8)

matt35mm

Quote from: GhostboyFarrell is a great actor, and, also like Berry in Monster's Ball, he goes the full monty in this one.  8)
Um... yay?

ono

Quote from: matt35mm
Quote from: GhostboyFarrell is a great actor, and, also like Berry in Monster's Ball, he goes the full monty in this one.  8)
Um... yay?
Yes, my sentiments, too.

Something you'd like to share with us, Ghostboy?

Ghostboy

I can objectify attractive guys almost as much as I can attractive women.

matt35mm

Well in that case: Whip em out, Farrell, we're ready!

... at least I didn't say anything about this:
Quote from: ghostboy... I am attractive women.
:shock:

Ghostboy

Wow, talk about a slip! To preserve the integrity of my original statement, I edited my gaffe, but feel free to continue laughing at it anyway. I sure am.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Ghostboybut feel free to continue laughing at it anyway.

Don't you worry about that. It's a fact that we all will.
Si

matt35mm

It's a sad day for all of us at xixax...  our dreams have been dashed to bits...

Mr. Farrell will not be showing his naughty bits in this movie.  It has been cut out and left on the editing room floor (the scene, not his naughty bits).  Apparently, they cut the scene after test audiences "gasped."  I dunno what that means, but I do know that we're all losing out on something... uh, big, in cinema.

ono

LOLz, where did they show this?  Pennsylvania Dutch country?

Ghostboy

More on this tragic turn of events, from Dark Horizons:

The touching drama "A Home at the End of the World" is already well-reported to contain a scene of the Irish one going the full monty whilst walking down a hallway. Farrell approved the scene, shot it, and talk of it came up on numerous articles about the film and from audience-goers who attended one or two sneak peeks of the flick in May.

Now, a few weeks ago, that approval looks to have been recinded although reasons for it are being debated right now. Today's The Sun reports that the scene has been cut by worried film bosses after test audiences "were transfixed by the size of his manhood". One source tells the paper "All you could hear were gasps when Colin appeared in his full frontal pose. The women were over-excited and the men looked really uncomfortable. It was such a sight it made it difficult to concentrate on the plot, so the decision was made to get rid of it".

On the other hand the original rumours about the cut (which appeared online almost a month ago) cited the more believable reasoning that with the scene the movie would've gotten an NC-17 rating, without it - just an R. The studio naturally probably feels that by getting the harsher rating it will limit or dissuade a lot of the audience.

matt35mm

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

I saw this tonight and can't quite recommend it. It's got some good stuff, especially at the beginning, and the soundtrack is great, and Colin Ferrell is also great. The script is exceedingly awkward, however, and the direction doesn't help. Like The Human Stain last year, I imagine this is a case of a book being sadly eviscerated on the way to the screen (although the novelist, Michael Cunningham, wrote the script -- which I suppose is cause for thanks that another screenwriter handled the chore on the adaptation of his wonderful The Hours).

Also, Robin Wright Penn, as luminous as she usually is, is sadly miscast here as a character much too young for her too play. The character is, essentially, Clementine from Eternal Sunshine, right down to the dyed hair and much of the wardrobe. I noticed that JB said that Natalie Portman in Garden State is yet another poor performance of the same type of character -- since all three movies were likely in production at or around the same time, it's interesting to note how much of a stereotype that character is, and how completely and utterly Winslet nailed what these other talented actresses have simultaneously failed at (although I haven't actually seen Garden State yet -- check back tomorrow night for my opinions on that).