Donnie Darko....back in action

Started by El Duderino, April 21, 2004, 07:49:19 PM

El Duderino

"Donnie Darko: Director's Cut" set to be released in theaters this summer
Source: variety.com
Date: April 21, 2004, 9:27 am
Submitted: Junkyard

Originally released in October 2001, "Donnie Darko" which starred Jake Gyllenhaal as a disturbed teen who may have supernatural powers, tormented by visions of a 6-foot-tall rabbit, made a measly $517,375 at the box office, but later grew into a cult success on DVD, where the film moved about 1 million units and grossed about 10 million in sales.

Now Variety is reporting that due to its cult following, Newmarket Films will be premiering a Director's Cut of "Donnie Darko" at the Seattle Film Festival on May 29. The new version will include 21 minutes of never-been-seen footage, new visual effects, and new sound.

"Ultimately, every director's cut is self-indulgent," writer-director Richard Kelly said, "but I feel as though it's a more thorough and complete version of the film."

Newmarket's chief Bob Berney is also planning to release the Director's Cut in theaters in a limited capacity, which is tentatively set for July. The test run will start in Seattle in 10 screens and move into other markets.

But if the film builds interest? Berney told Variety, "If it really works in the suburbs, we decide we can release it wider in the suburbs nationally."
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Weird. Oh

Oh god this just gives another thing for the Hot Topic kids to worship over. I thought this movie was ok but these teenie bopper pop punk scenster champion this movie as the cream of the crop. It's quite sickening.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Raikus

Regardless of what stereotypical group of youths adopt this movie it won't diminish my love for the movie.

But I'll make a deal with the Hot Topic kids: You can keep your bunnies-making-obscene-gestures shirts if you give me back my movie.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

ono

Quote from: RaikusRegardless of what stereotypical group of youths adopt this movie it won't diminish my love for the movie.
Ditto.

Excellent, excellent flick, but I really wish Kelly wouldn't do something like this.  First, he needs to stick to making movies, to prove that he's not a one-hit wonder.  Probably afraid of the sophomore slump -- I don't blame him.  But I hate double-dipping, and messing with something that, for most people, is a finished product.  It's like that episode of South Park with Lucas, Spielberg, and Coppola lampooned.  Art becomes public domain after a time.  Just leave it alone.

El Duderino

perhaps he's trying to get more money for his next flick...
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?