chaplin collection

Started by cowboykurtis, July 03, 2003, 10:48:07 AM

cowboykurtis

can anyone tell me how the transfer is? im so pumped for this -- however im a bit worried about the image quality --anyone?...
...your excuses are your own...

Alethia

Ravi

I'm worried about what they say about this electronic piano score for The Gold Rush.  I hope it sounds better than they say.

Did the reviewer forget that Image released a bunch of Chaplin titles???

tpfkabi

i'm lost why they put the new elec. piano score on there?

i've only seen video tape versions of the Gold Rush. this is the one without  narration and it shows the kiss at the end. couldn't they have lifted the original score off of these or something? even if it would sound a little messed up i would still prefer it to any elec. piano redo.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

DigitalFriend

transfers are really solid.  I got the set and love it.  I'm curious as to what's going to be on set # 2.

City lights?

Alethia

tpfkabi

what was the best price you found? around 66 bucks or so? that's a really good price..........three of those films are really great ( i havne't seen Limelight)......it's a shame the Antoine Donnell set is almost a hundred.............i know it's Criterion, but supposedly the Chaplin's have been restored greatly

cine

I just bought the Chaplin Collection yesterday. Worth every penny. I owned the VHS of Modern Times and Great Dictator and if you own the VHS's of those or Limelight or the Gold Rush.. I must say the VHS's of them are pretty watchable compared to the DVDs. But the second discs on each of the films are really good.

I would venture to guess that Volume 2 will have The Circus, City Lights, Monsieur Verdoux, and The King in New York. Those are the rest of his full-length films anyhow. So 4 films on Volume 1 and 4 on Vol. 2. (I'm just excluding "A Woman of Paris" as a possibility for the second volume since he didn't star in it.. only directed it. Aside from the Hitchcock-like cameo.)

samsong

$59.99 at Costco.  I havent bought it yet, though.

tpfkabi

it would have been too nice for them to put City Lights in there instead of Limelight......i guess they wanted a better chance of selling both sets

MacGuffin

Just in from MK2 is the announcement of The Chaplin Collection Volume 2, featuring another great lineup of Chaplin classics. This boxed set includes The Chaplin Revue a 1959 recut compilation of the silent comedies "A Dog's Life," "Shoulder Arms" and "The Pilgrim," including Chaplin-added music, narration, and connecting material), Circus, City Lights, The Kid, A King In New York/A Woman of Paris and Monsieur Verdoux, all newly remastered in their 1.33:1 full screen aspect ratios and remixed in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. Each will also be available as a two-disc set, complete with extras: never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes footage, exclusive family home movie material, and commentaries (participants to be announced). The box set also includes the new two-hour documentary Charlie: The Life and Art of Charles Chaplin, directed by Richard Schickel and narrated by filmmaker Sydney Pollack, and chock full of new interviews with Woody Allen, Richard Attenborough, Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr, Milos Forman, Andrew Sarris, Marcel Marceau, and Martin Scorsese. Street date for these new titles is March 2nd, and each retails for $29.95 each, or $99.95 for the box set. (Monsieur Verdoux will retail for $24.95.)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I really want to see Monsieur Verdoux so I'm definitely interested in Volume 2.

tpfkabi

i was wondering about this.....i've been seeing ads in some movie mags, so i figured it was already out.

i'm reading a book on Fellini and it said, "he singles out City Lights as a masterpiece among the silents, and he considers Monsieur Verdoux to be the most beautiful film he has ever seen."

the MV trailer on the first box set was so funny, i think it will be great

what can anyone say on all/any of the films besides CL & MV?

cine

Got my Chaplin Collection Vol. 2 in the mail a couple hours ago. If you're a fan of Chaplin, it's simply a must. I've been watching the Charlie documentary with Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese, Johnny Depp, etc. interviewed. The package as a whole is excellent. I can't praise it enough. After the Griffith Masterworks Set and The Art of Buster Keaton, The Chaplin Collection Volumes 1 & 2 (especially 2) offers so much about the life and art of Chaplin, the history of cinema, great timelines of his life. Easily a top contender for one of the best DVD box sets of 2004.

Pubrick

Quote from: CinephileEasily a top contender for one of the best DVD box sets of 2004.
really, does it hav a commercial?  :roll:
under the paving stones.