What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: Freddie on January 03, 2013, 06:12:09 PMAnd if dreams do come true, I will adapt this one into a movie one day.... One day...

if it's that good, or just an easy ready to go adaptation as the blurb suggests, chances are someone already bought the rights to it before it was even published.
under the paving stones.

Neil

just recently became a stones fan, do i just picked up, "life," by Keith Richards and can't wait to get to it.

Currently I'm reading my way through the Renissance with,

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Lottery

Drenk

A gun comes across the sky?

Rerererereading that book.

Ascension.

Reel

just finished this:

it was funny.

72teeth

The Marriage Plot
Jeffrey Euginides

its no Middlesex.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

cinemanarchist

Ken Levine (creator of Bioshock Infinite) listed this as one of his inspirations for the game, along with There Will Be Blood.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

polkablues

I don't know anything about the book, but I can definitely see the fontspiration.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Quote from: cinemanarkissed on April 09, 2013, 02:34:32 PM

Ken Levine (creator of Bioshock Infinite) listed this as one of his inspirations for the game, along with There Will Be Blood.

Fuuuuck, I literally just saw this at the bookstore for $1 and didn't even consider picking it up. I knew I remembered it from here!

This bad boy:

jenkins

mmm. keep wanting to read inherent vice based on pynchon, avoiding 'cause of pt. feels confusing! but prob exciting either way :))

©brad

Yeah I'm holding out on Inherent Vice until after I see the movie.

Reading this now and it's amazing.

wilder

Sleepless in Hollywood: Tales from the New Abnormal in the Movie Business - Amazon

I read this this past week. Lynda Obst (Producer of Sleepless in Seattle, The Fisher King, How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days, and the upcoming Interstellar) had written one book previously called Hello, He Lied, which was about the day-to-day trials and tribulations of her experience as a producer in Hollywood during the 80s and mid-90s. This latest book, published a little over a week ago, is about the transformation the film industry has undergone this past decade, and especially since the 2008 writer's strike, as seen from the inside.

What struck me most about the book was how it married all these topics everyone's heads are swirling around -- the media conglomerate's purchasing of the studios, the growth of international box office revenues in the past five years dwarfing domestic (and what that means for story and the kinds of projects that get made), the general inversion of film and TV quality as of late, the talent-studio relationship transformation (and death of star power), the decline of DVD sales and the rise of VOD and streaming as a substitute or alternative to theatrical releases, tentpole and franchise-think everywhere, the internet and video games replacing movies as the entertainment go-to, Intellectual Property as gospel, and spec-script buying as a dinosaur, into one cohesive, clear narrative.

Salon published an excerpt from the book you can read online. The first chapter is also available to preview on Amazon.