Mustang

Started by jenkins, December 16, 2015, 01:53:22 PM

jenkins

this movie has "landed," such that it's no longer a question of whether this is a good movie, it's being celebrated all over, and really now it's a matter of whether you want to see it and experience it yourself.

first-feature director: Deniz Gamze Ergüven
synopsis on IMDb, "Written by Festival de Cannes"
QuoteEarly summer. In a village in northern Turkey, Lale and her four sisters are walking home from school, playing innocently with some boys. The immorality of their play sets off a scandal that has unexpected consequences. The family home is progressively transformed into a prison; instruction in homemaking replaces school and marriages start being arranged. The five sisters who share a common passion for freedom, find ways of getting around the constraints imposed on them.

it played at AFI Fest and was a big hit, it opens this friday at Cinefamily and they have it scheduled for twelve days, i.e. they're already expecting a hit

jenkins

i didn't phrase things right or something. this movie is on the shortlist for the Best Foreign Oscar.

Belgium, The Brand New Testament, Jaco Van Dormael, director
Colombia, Embrace of the Serpent, Ciro Guerra, director
Denmark, A War, Tobias Lindholm, director
Finland, The Fencer, Klaus Härö, director
France, Mustang, Deniz Gamze Ergüven, director
Germany, Labyrinth of Lies, Giulio Ricciarelli, director
Hungary, Son of Saul, László Nemes, director
Ireland, Viva, Paddy Breathnach, director
Jordan, Theeb, Naji Abu Nowar, director

jenkins

i still don't think i phrased things right, and i didn't even rightly phrase not phrasing things right. hopefully you've already seen this movie, which is well out of the grapevine. "read between the lines" is now my favorite thing to say while giving the middle finger, because of this movie.

2016 César Awards:

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Deniz Gamze Ergüven, Alice Winocour, Mustang

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC
Warren Ellis, Mustang

BEST FIRST FILM
Mustang, dir: Deniz Gamze Erguven

BEST EDITING
Mathilde Van De Moortel, Mustang