Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

jenkins

Jan 10  Walk on the Wild Side is coming to the channel. that's the most successful screenplay accomplishment of John Fante and it's southern melodrama (which i like)

Robyn

Never got around to watch this, but now I will definitely watch it in April. I have loved almost everything else I've seen by Assayas.

QuoteDIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

New 2K digital restoration from the original camera negative, approved by director Olivier Assayas, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray

New interview with Assayas

On the Set of "Irma Vep," a behind-the-scenes featurette

Interview from 2003 with Assayas and critic Charles Tesson

Interview from 2003 with actors Maggie Cheung and Nathalie Richard

Musidora, the Tenth Muse (2013), a documentary on the actor who originated the role of Irma Vep

Les vampires: Hypnotic Eyes (1916), the sixth episode in Louis Feuillade's silent-film serial

Man Yuk: A Portrait of Maggie Cheung, a 1997 short film by Assayas

Black-and-white rushes for the film

English subtitle translation and English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

PLUS: An essay by critic Aliza Ma

New cover by Jillian Adel

WorldForgot

^One of the greatest filmz on Super16mm imo ~
I've rewatched more times than I can recall -- it iz pure passion for the medium (admiring an industry of creative people contending vs market and time'z corrosion)

In the US it's streaming on HBOMax, as they are doing the Reboot/Remake/Sequel.

Sleepless

I don't remember particularly enjoying it, but I loved COSM and Summer Hours in particular of his stuff. I'll def be watching the TV version though.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

Finally. Tied among his top ten best. Like with Dorothy Arzner there's no real reason for the order but welcome

WorldForgot

Gallo's packaging for the blu ray of The Brown Bunny comes second in cheekiest draw
after this wonderful exercise in consumer-direct aesthetic that iz THE CELEBRATION

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1449051413024317445

Just Withnail

Love it. A little bit Kanye a little bit Faust, and a perfect match for Festen.

wilberfan

WorldForgot

Dear Cinephiles,

We f*cked up Citizen Kane.

Jeremy Blackman

I'm not affected by this, but I am annoyed by proxy that there's no apology in the Instagram post. "Frustrating but true." I'll use that line next time I'm in a position to say I'm sorry.

wilder

WorldForgot

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1537111075740606466

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1537112151134969861

EXOTICA DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Atom Egoyan and director of photography Paul Sarossy, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary featuring Egoyan and composer Mychael Danna
New conversation between Egoyan and filmmaker and actor Sarah Polley
Calendar, a 1993 feature film by Egoyan, with a new introduction
Peep Show, a 1981 short film by Egoyan
En passant, a 1991 short film by Egoyan featuring Maury Chaykin and Arsinée Khanjian
Artaud Double Bill, a 2007 short film by Egoyan, commissioned for the sixtieth anniversary of the Cannes Film Festival
Audio from the film's 1994 Cannes Film Festival press conference, featuring Egoyan, Khanjian, actor Bruce Greenwood, and producer Camelia Frieberg
English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
PLUS: An essay by author and filmmaker Jason Wood

ono

Happy to hear about Exotica.  The DVD I have has a really poor aspect ratio.  These features sound cool.

Never seen Blow Out, so will be nice to check out that one, too.

WorldForgot

Seimetz and Lowery on the Criterion Channel :inlove: ^_^