-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Vile5

"What a Wonderful World" - Bowling for Columbine
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

rustinglass

beethoven's ninth "ode to joy"- clockwork (in the holocaust film) ripped-off by michael moore
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

rustinglass

Quote from: Vile5"What a Wonderful World" - Bowling for Columbine

actually, moore ripped that off too from good morning vietnam

I still love bowling for columbine, though
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

SoNowThen

obvious ones:

Singin' In The Rain - Clockwork Orange
Stuck In The Middle With You - Reservoir Dogs
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sigur Rós

Mama told me not to come - Boogie Nights

modage

perfect day - trainspotting

(think macguffin mentioned this in another musical thread)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sigur Rós

Singing in the rain - A Clockwork Orange

Damn that's ironic....

Gamblour.

Mickey Mouse Club theme in Full Metal Jacket

I think we've spotted a Kubrickism.
WWPTAD?

ShanghaiOrange

I guess the classical music in 2001 one could be seen as ironic in some sense too. :( So yeah...Kubrick!.... :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

rustinglass

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeI guess the classical music in 2001 one could be seen as ironic in some sense too. :( So yeah...Kubrick!.... :(

In what sense?
-Emir Kusturica

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mutinyco

By juxtaposing formal 18th and 19th Century representations of life and nature with a lifeless mechanical future. Classicism vs. Modernism.

All ironic musical selections go to Kubrick. He set the stage and did it best.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Jeremy Blackman

Almost everything in Dancer in the Dark.

"Walking on Sunshine" in American Psycho.

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
"Walking on Sunshine" in American Psycho.

damn u jeremiah, u took mine!

singin' in the rain is the best one for my $$.