Kevin Spacey

Started by filmcritic, July 26, 2003, 10:23:47 AM

MacGuffin

Spacey set for 'Superman' sequel
Actor to play Major Banks in Moran's 'Telstar'
Source: Variety

Kevin Spacey will return as Lex Luthor in "Superman: Man of Steel" and appear in "Telstar," Nick Moran's film version of Moran and James Hicks' 2005 darkly comic West End play about flamboyant '60s record mogul Joe Meek.

"Superman" director Bryan Singer met with Spacey in New York while the latter was appearing on Broadway in Eugene O'Neill's recently wrapped "Moon for the Misbegotten." Singer was about to pitch his "Man of Steel" sequel to Warner Bros.; "Superman Returns" scripter Michael Dougherty is now writing the screenplay.

After Singer completes "Valkyrie" and "The Mayor of Castro Street," he plans to start production on "Man of Steel" next year for a 2009 release.

Spacey hopes to shoot his Luthor role in a six-week block, as he did on "Superman Returns," after he completes his run in David Mamet's "Speed the Plow" in April.

This week, Spacey joined the cast of "Telstar," which started filming Monday in London. Meek is the gay, tone deaf songwriter-producer who produced hits including "Have I the Right," "Just Like Eddie," "Johnny, Remember Me" and the instrumental "Telstar." Con O'Neill reprises his stage role as Meek; Spacey plays his financier, Major Banks.

"It's exciting to be part of my first British ensemble film," Spacey said.

Spacey, who has eight years remaining on his 10-year contract as artistic director of London's Old Vic Theater, corrected recent Internet stories announcing his retirement from film acting in favor of the stage.

"My priorities have changed," he admitted on the phone from London. "Theater is the No. 1 thing in my life. But I love movies and will continue to make movies when I can."

In a June interview with "London Tonight" on Brit net ITV1, about a deal with Sam Mendes for the Bridge Project between the Old Vic and the Brooklyn Academy of Music, the Times of London quoted Spacey as saying, "I don't care about my personal acting career any more. I'm done with it."

On Tuesday, Spacey told Daily Variety, "In no way did I use the word retirement. Someone else pulled that out of thin air. It's false, there's not a lick of truth to it."

Spacey has two films in the can: David Dobkin's comedy "Fred Claus," which Warner Bros. will open Nov. 9, and Robert Luketic's "21," in which he plays an MIT professor who teaches his students to count cards. Latter is set for a March release by Columbia Pictures.

Spacey has also recorded two songs for a tribute CD to Dean Martin, "Forever Cool," which EMI will release on Aug. 14.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Spacey to star in HBO's 'Recount'
Leary, Dern, Hurt also join election drama
Source: Variety

Kevin Spacey, Laura Dern, Denis Leary, John Hurt, Tom Wilkinson, Ed Begley Jr. and Bob Balaban have been set by HBO Films to star in "Recount," the drama about the controversial Florida results in the 2000 presidential election.

Jay Roach is directing a script written by Danny Strong.

Spacey, who hasn't done television since the 1991 biopic "Darrow," stars as Ron Klain, former chief of staff for vice president Al Gore and one of the lead attorneys who challenged the disputed results of voting in Florida.

Dern plays Katherine Harris, the Secretary of State of Florida who became the center of controversy when she certified that George W. Bush won the state.

Begley plays David Boies, the lawyer who appealed the results and argued for the Democrats in court. Leary plays Michael Whouley, a pollster on the Democrat side and Hurt plays Warren Christopher, a key player in the Gore camp. Wilkinson plays James Baker, brought in by the Republicans to see that the disputed results held up. Balaban plays Ben Ginsberg, the lead attorney for Bush and Dick Chaney.

While Harris' ruling was overturned by Florida's Supreme Court, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled narrowly in Bush's favor, giving him the presidency give weeks after Election Day. The film shows the legal and political maneuvering from the point of view of both the Bush and Gore camps.

Pic's produced by Spring Creek and Mirage, in association with Spacey's Trigger Street Independent and Roach's Everyman Pictures. Paula Weinstein, Sydney Pollack, Len Amato and Roach are exec producers. Roach recently replaced Pollack as the director when Pollack stepped down for personal reasons (Daily Variety, Aug. 6, 2007).More than one option(Co) Daily Variety
(Co) Daily Variety

"Recount," which will begin shooting shortly next month in Florida, will air during the heat of the presidential campaign in 2008.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

That is a awesome cast....MMMM can not wait.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Heinsbergen

Quote from: SiliasRuby on September 24, 2007, 08:37:27 PM
That is a awesome cast....

hell yes. wonder what roach can get out of that material.
when i was a little kid i wanted to know what caused thunder.

wilberfan

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/13/movies/kevin-spacey-all-the-money-in-the-world-christopher-plummer.html

QuoteAnd so began a race to pull off something never before attempted in Hollywood: revisiting a finished movie, reassembling major members of the cast, refilming crucial scenes, re-editing many sequences, retooling the marketing campaign — and doing it all at the last possible minute. Mr. Scott and others worked 18-hour days as they rushed to finish in nine days what would typically have taken at least a month.

QuoteFor nine days, Mr. Scott arrived at filming locations by 6:30 a.m. to eat a quick breakfast and finalize planned shooting angles with his longtime cinematographer, Dariusz Wolski. (Together, they have made six movies, including "The Martian," which was nominated for best picture at the 2016 Academy Awards.) Filming usually continued straight through lunch. As sequences were shot — Mr. Scott typically does very few takes — footage was digitally shipped to the film's editor, Claire Simpson, who would start stitching it together. In the evening, Mr. Scott would make adjustments.

Sleepless

Christopher Plummer is going to win the "Not Kevin Spacey" awards.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Drenk

IT'S FREAKING ME OUT. :shock:

The fact that people are obviously indulging his psychotic breakdown. The fact that he hides his current life situation behind a character of fiction? The fact that he released the video for Christmas for God's son sake?
Ascension.

jenkins

wilberfan

Couldn't bring myself to watch the original.  This was beautiful.

Jeremy Blackman

"You wouldn't believe the worst without evidence, would you? You wouldn't rush to judgments without facts, would you? Did you?"

Life comes at you fast, though:

There's Video Evidence In Sexual Assault Case Against Kevin Spacey
The victim, who was 18 at the time, took Snapchat video of the assault, police say.