Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Pas

Quote from: moonshinerpop music is a prison

It almost makes me miss Alguien. Almost.

You are emprisoning yourself if you make sure you don't listen to a particular genre. I hate talking about that kind of shit. There's always a newborn intellectual to try to shit on your head cause he hasn't figured out who he is yet. But I forgive, I was, and still am sometimes, like this too.

Sleuth

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: moonshinerpop music is a prison

You are emprisoning yourself if you make sure you don't listen to a particular genre. I hate talking about that kind of shit. There's always a newborn intellectual to try to shit on your head cause he hasn't figured out who he is yet. But I forgive, I was, and still am sometimes, like this too.

Yeah what the fuck man, on the othe page you said "genre is a prison" and I almost loved you
I like to hug dogs

moonshiner

Quote from: tremoloslothYeah what the fuck man, on the othe page you said "genre is a prison" and I almost loved you

almost? where have i wavered?
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

godardian

Quote from: Pas Rapport

Bite.

Your.

Tongue!!

:lol:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Jeremy Blackman

If genre is a prison, and pop music is a genre, and pop music is a prison... then you're building the prison.

modage

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIf genre is a prison, and pop music is a genre, and pop music is a prison... then you're building the prison.

then i guess that makes me an inmate!  :-D
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

freakerdude

I was looking through the Kid A CD and didn't see any credits for the sleeve artwork. Does anyone know who might have done this? OK Computer has credits for pictures and artwork but nothing on here. Just curious since they both look like the same person's involvment or work.

Thanks
MC Pee Pants

Dirk

Quote from: freakerdudeI was looking through the Kid A CD and didn't see any credits for the sleeve artwork. Does anyone know who might have done this? OK Computer has credits for pictures and artwork but nothing on here. Just curious since they both look like the same person's involvment or work.

Thanks

Kid A should have one. The fold out sleeve is a little complex but it's in there somewhere..
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

freakerdude

Quote from: DirkKid A should have one. The fold out sleeve is a little complex but it's in there somewhere..
The very limited credits are there but none for artwork or graphics. The only text is in the longest foldout.
MC Pee Pants

Alexandro

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: AlexandroRadiohead wants to make pop. They said it them themselves. But they can't. They're too smart, their music and lyrics are too inteligent and filled with substance to be pop. Björk has the same problem, she's too smart for pop.

Pop is stupid and fun, most of the time (boy bands, britney, strokes), and sometimes it's something more crafted (coldplay, metallica, white stripes)...and sometimes is just something too fucking cool to be pop, like radiohead and björk and the flaming lips and air...

or sometimes is something so chamaleonic it's impossible to tell: david bowie...beck...ween

well, i've been unable to take out "the gloaming" from my head in the last two weeks... and i mean uneable...

for the whole albums are catchy...although i don¿t think that's what they're aiming at, really...what's so great about having a catchy song??

why is pop supposed to be stupid?  radiohead are too smart to write a handful of good songs to insert their techno-blips into now?

boy bands, britney and strokes?  yeah okay.  if the boy bands you're reffering to are the beatles, the kinks, the ramones, the smiths, etc. then, maybe i can see where you are coming from.  too cool for pop?  what the hell are you talking about?

the gloaming is everything terrible about the "new" radiohead.  bullshit blip beeps droning staticy non-song.  that fucking studio noise belongs on the cutting room floor, and its the new radiohead that is too smart to see that. and okay, its not so much about being supremely catchy, but how about just a listenable tune?  the gloaming is not exactly hummable.

I didn't mean to insult anyone...I said stupid AND fun...stupid is not bad at all. By stupid I meant that it doesn't really represent any kind of challenge to the listener...it's easy going music for fun, that's all, not a lot of meaning into it, not a lot of message to it...just fun...I 'm not saying a person is better for listening to this or that, but comparing Radiohead or I don't know, even Marilyn Manson 8which I don't like) to Christina Aguilera or the Backstreet Boys is like comparing a Dalí painting to a Bob Ross painting...they're both pretty, one is just smarter and has more ideas to it.

Boy Bands...well, as far as I'm concerned, The Beatles are not  a boy band...they're a rock band, a terrific one, who had their share of pop music but who also made a lot of more interseting and difficult material...with Boy Bands I was thinking more of N'Sync, you know?? I mean give me a break, I though you knew what a boy band really is. And please don't tell me N'Sync or Britney or any of those other guys are on the level of Radiohead, or better cause they have more catchy tunes...that's bullshit...music is about feelings, not about catchy tunes...

and in the end it's a matter of perspective...I know the gloaming is difficult to get...i didn't liked it the first maybe 20 times I listened to it...I was avoiding it when I listened to the album...then I listened to it live and I knew what it was about, and I got it and i learned to enjoyed it...now it's in my head...

for me, the best music is not the most catchy, or even the most complex compositions (which Radiohead CAN do by the way), it's about transmiting a feeling, creating an image in your head, an image that's different, something beyond the normal or the everyday stuff we usually listen...not that all the rest is crap...but there are lightbulbs and there are real bright stars...a great work of art demands the receiver to work a little too, not only the artist...

and about the artwork on kid a...I found this on book or magazzine (i don't know what it is) called Communication Arts, from february 2002...there's a picture of the Kid A cover in one page, and there'e a paragraph under it that says this: "Most of our campaigns begin with graphics from the cover and/or the package. Radiohead has broken ranks on their recent release, and I followed much of what was to follow on their Web Site and experimental video blips", said Tommy Steele of Capitol Records. Stanley & Tchock, landscapes/knives/glue.

modage

just because a song is difficult doesnt make it smart.   dont try to infuse a deeper meaning behind a song just because it sucks the first twenty times you listen to it, and then finally grows on you.  if dali started shitting on a canvas you would still probably think it was better than bob ross, but i wouldnt.  and by deifying radiohead, and thinking that they can do no wrong, you're refusing to acknowldedge a great band puts out shitty songs too.  no band is great forever.  

look, i like radiohead.  i used to LOVE radiohead.  but with the last two albums, the direction they're heading has completely turned me off from them.  kid a was an interesting experiment.  a cold album with no emotion.  but i didnt think that would be the direction they kept forging.  sure, theyre fucking around with more instruments in the studio, but they still need to wrap that around a decent song.  wilco, for example, will write a great listenable song, and then go into the studio and totally deconstruct it 100 different ways until it hardly resembles the original.  but, somehow it shows, that underneath all the sonic noise there is still a hummable tune.

and i would be interested to hear how metallica has more meaning behind their music than the strokes.  or the white stripes.  or coldplay. they're just songs man.  put all the secret meaning behind them that you want, but its just fucking pop music. i know what you meant by boy bands, but your catagories are that of your opinions and not of any real merit.  listen, it doesnt take any more talent to go into the studio and warble over some techno blips than it does to write a great 3 minute song.  i'm not saying that radiohead arent capable of being great again.  i'm just saying they are not living up to their potential.  fuck catchy, atleast how about an emotion again?  theres not one moment on any of the past three albums thats lives up to the operatic buildup and letdown of 'paranoid android'.  or the distilling quiet beauty of 'exit music'.  there just isnt.  and its a concious decision by the band.  

i didnt really intend on coming here to hate radiohead, cause i dont.  i was probably more obsessive about them a  few years ago than you are now.  i just wanted to vent a little about my disapointment.  and its not that i want them to be like they used to be. they dont have to make 'okcomputer pt 2'.  but its the fact that they've said hail to the theif IS okcomputer pt. 2, but doesnt even resemble it!  play around with different textures and sounds, but be listenable.  write good songs.  play interesting arrangements, and sing with some fire again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alexandro

I get you man...but our vision of radiohead is completely different from the very first moment, cause you think there's no emotion in their work anymore, and for me, ther are very few bands with the emotional power of radiohead espceially since ok computer...

so, you don't feel it, maybe a lot of people don't feel it...that doesn't mean radiohead sucks...

for me the greatest thing about radiohead or any other artist (and I said this before) is their honesty...they do as they feel, that's emotion..and Kid A wasn't cold at all, How To dessapear completely is one of the most moving songs I've ever listened to...but that's just me

modage

Radiohead Remixes
Source: MTV.com

MC Thom Yorke? Not quite, but Radiohead are commissioning remixes for either an LP or EP due out next year, according to a band spokesperson. The group will get the hip-hop treatment by producer Madlib, the Los Angeles beat conductor who just released a Blue Note jazz remix album, Shades of Blue. Madlib was asked to work on the project by the band personally but had never heard Radiohead's music before. After a crash course, he chose the song "Sit Down. Stand Up" from Hail to the Thief. In addition to the Madlib remix, electronic producer Four Tet has taken on "Scatterbrain" for the project.

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02

Radiohead Remixes
Source: MTV.com

MC Thom Yorke? Not quite, but Radiohead are commissioning remixes for either an LP or EP due out next year, according to a band spokesperson. The group will get the hip-hop treatment by producer Madlib, the Los Angeles beat conductor who just released a Blue Note jazz remix album, Shades of Blue. Madlib was asked to work on the project by the band personally but had never heard Radiohead's music before. After a crash course, he chose the song "Sit Down. Stand Up" from Hail to the Thief. In addition to the Madlib remix, electronic producer Four Tet has taken on "Scatterbrain" for the project.

Ugh. I am not fond of remixes.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

freakerdude

Quote from: godardianUgh. I am not fond of remixes.
Don't fret! Nobody can do it worse than Linkin Park's hideous remix.......a purely pitiful attempt to milk their debut.
MC Pee Pants