(Wes Anderson) Tenenbaums Suicide - Problem

Started by USTopGun47, June 17, 2003, 07:02:25 PM

Pubrick

it's just sum cold shit to say before u pop a cap in yo own ass.
under the paving stones.

lamas

that was good.  REALLY good. :lol:

modage

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: themodernage02i always thought it just sounded better. the declarative statement "I'm going to kill myself tomorrow", sounds poetic.

definitely. its my favorite line/part in the movie. its so fuckin wonderful and sad. i dont see why it would confuse ppl, remember kids- can't take everything literally.

yeah i mean, its just sounds good the way it is.  and wes basically confirms that there really is no other reason.  just that, he liked the way it sounded.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

USTopGun47

Quote from: Pit's just sum cold shit to say before u pop a cap in yo own ass.
Exquisite way of putting it  :-D
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Perhaps Richie had been saying that line in his head for a long time, and once he finally said it he could no longer hesitate. Just my "interp".

tpfkabi

i remember someone on here mentioning what film influenced the "look" of this scene......maybe a Truffaut or Godard film?
anyone know?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ernie

Quote from: bigideasi remember someone on here mentioning what film influenced the "look" of this scene......maybe a Truffaut or Godard film?
anyone know?

Well, I don't know for sure but...if you look at one of the storyboards for this scene (on the dvd)...you can see a little note that says (I think) "Persona" lighting...it might be referring to the lighting of a certain scene in Ingmar Bergman's film of that name or maybe the lighting of whole film as an influence on the lighting of the suicide scene, I'm not sure...haven't seen Persona...but I think that's what that whole thing meant. It's hard to say, storyboards can be so hard to interpret sometimes. You should probably take a look at the ones for this scene yourself if you haven't yet just to clarify.

Also, you still may be right of course...I know Godard and especially Truffaut are a huge influence on many many aspects of his films.

Winston Wolf

I doubt anyone will read this, but I took it to consideration that he shaved off all of his hair, which is like a change from night to day. In a way that could very well be the "tomorrow" he wes was trying to accomplish. But hey nothing that simple could put this movie to shame.
Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Not lifting weights doesn't kill me. Therefore not lifting weights makes me stronger.

thedog

someone should also tell him that usually when you shave, you should shave your whole face. None of this half assed bullshit.

Banky

the scars on his arms are some intense shit

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I missed how it was confusing.  He looks in the mirror and says "I'm going to kill myself tomorrow."  So we know he's suicidal and he wants to.  He just does because why wait?  He's lost Margot, and the shit really seemed to hit the fan for him.

Thats got to be one of the most powerful scenes in the movie.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye