Another Videocamera Purchasing Question (XL1s vs XL2)

Started by for petes sake, July 27, 2004, 03:07:28 PM

for petes sake

I have also been looking into purchasing a high quality video camera.  I was aiming towards getting an XL1s, until I read that Canon is going to release the XL2 around the end of August.  Its projected cost is around $4000 - $5000, whereas it looks like I can get a XL1s for around $2000-$2200.  My question now is how much do people think the price of the XL1s will drop when the XL2 comes out (if any at all)?  

If it doesn't, does anyone know how much of a performance difference there will be between the two?  I've read up on Cannon's wesbite and it looks like the major differences are being able to shoot 24p and true 16x9.  Do you guys think its worth it to wait a few years till the prices of the XL2 go down or do you think the XL1s will still be able to hold its own a few years down the line?

Basically I don't want to invest a few grand in a camera that may be obsolete in a few years.  Thanks for your input.

Ghostboy

Any camera is going to be obsolete in a few years; that's just how technology works. However, Canon's specific curve goes a bit slower...the XL-1 came out a good seven years ago, and the XL-1s upgrade took five years to show up after that. Chances are, the XL2 will be Canon's standard model for quite some time. As far as prosumer cameras in general go, something may come along not too long from now that tops it, but that always happens. Nothing you can do about it.

The differences are, for me, substantial enough that I would definitely buy an XL2 instead of an XL1s (I currently have an XL1). Aside from the frame rate, there are all sorts of functions (color and gamma stuff) that are highly attractive, and -- finally -- Canon wised up and included built in XLR ports.

But if you don't care about those features, the XL1-s is still a fine camera (heck, the XL1 is still a fine camera, and I'm still using it).

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

pete

well, XL2 supposedly foresees that problem in that it might go obsolete in a few years so it's got an open structure, allowing you to update it with whatever you want.
but CCDs will get replaced once the Arris work out the CMOS chips.
I got a vx2000 for cheap last year when dvx100 was making a dent, if you want, you should pick up a dvx100, which is also around 2000 bucks right now.  these are just practice cameras or documentary cameras, you'll be shooting on film in a few years anyways.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

for petes sake

Thanks for the input everyone.  The mroe I think about it, the more I feel im going to wait for the XL2 to come out or go down in price.  Basically the main reason I would buy my own camera is to shoot shorts for a demo "reel" (tape).  Thus it would be important to be able to shoot 24p and true 16x9; it would generate more creative opportunites and illustrate more clearly what my vision would look like if given the chance to shoot on film.  I am still going to wait though.  If the XL1s gets cheap enough, I might pick it up to use until the prices for the XL2 go down.

This leads me to another question: how safe does everyone feel the numerous "grey" markets are for cameras?  I have seen $5000 cameras being sold "used and new" on amazon for as low as $800.  Obivously this offer is too good to be true, but what about the more reasonable prices (in the $2000 range)?  I've heard FriendlyKarate's story about needing to buy accessories with them, but was wondering if anyone else has had experiences with buying cameras at these prices.  Thanks.

RegularKarate

My friendly story wasn't actually about a grey market camera.

The camera I bought was legit.

Grey markets are usually cameras that don't come with any warantee and are often from overseas (you might end up with a Pal camera if you're not careful).

I don't have any personal experience, but I don't know anyone who's bought grey market electronics and not regretted it.