A New Topic

Started by The Perineum Falcon, November 30, 2004, 07:12:31 PM

The Perineum Falcon

I have a 6-8 page paper due next Friday (Dec. 10) on the portrayl of Familial Relations and Marriage in America through Cinema. It's not a terribly original topic, certainly something trodden enough that perhaps some members here could help me.
I'll come up with a more specific angle to focus on later, but now I need help finding the best movies to write about. I'd like one movie for each decade from 1950 to 1990.
I think for the 70s I am going to discuss Kramer vs. Kramer and for the 90s, perhaps American Beauty?
Of course, these aren't set in stone and I am extremely open to any suggestions you should feel free to give.

A'thank you.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

cowboykurtis

ordinary people
im told the godfather is all about family
...your excuses are your own...

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

For the 50's, I would suggest either "Rebel Without A Cause" or "East Of Eden."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

American Beauty is perfect for the 90s, though you could go with Sex, Lies, and Videotape.  Or you could be unoriginal and do Magnolia.

From the 70s why not do, oh, I don't know, Scenes from a Marriage.  A novel idea, to be sure.

Pedro

ono

The Perineum Falcon

An incredible amount of 'thank you's I give to everyone.
I appreciate all the suggestions so far! But I should note, and I really should've done this in my initial post (totally my fault, and I'll amend it now), that I have to keep it to American cinema.
I apologize, it completely slipped my mind. :(

Thanks again, and keep 'em coming! :wink:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.