The 80th Annual Academy Awards

Started by MacGuffin, September 12, 2007, 12:07:15 AM

Stefen

I'm stunned Amy Ryan got a nod for Gone Baby Gone. That's awesome. I thought she was great.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Nominees, others react to Oscar bids

"You put me shoulder to shoulder with a group of fine actors. I'm proud to be in their company and to have the broader recognition for the film is a lovely thing." — Daniel Day-Lewis, best actor nominee for "There Will Be Blood."

___

"It's as if I had swallowed some fireworks or something like this. My friends and my family in Paris, they are so happy." — Marion Cotillard, on her best actress nomination for "La Vie en Rose."

___

"There were a lot of candidates and a lot of the awards shows or organizations this year have had different mixes of people. It was nice to see Tommy Lee Jones in there. He hadn't been in so much of the mix and when I saw his name come up and there was only one name left to go, I thought, `Naah, well, there's no way (I'll be nominated).' So to be honest, I was quite surprised." — Viggo Mortensen, on his best actor nomination for "Eastern Promises."

___

"It's unbelievable. Mom and I were in bed and dad was waiting up for the announcements again, because that's the way my daddy is. It's kind of a bit weird actually, in a good way, in a fantastic way. I never expected this in a million years to happen. I can't believe it. I'm really proud as well that two Irish paddies have been nominated for an Oscar for the same film. It's really great for Ireland, great" — 13-year-old Saoirse Ronan, nominated for supporting actress for "Atonement." Fellow Irishman Seamus McGarvey was nominated for cinematography.

___

"I'm pretty sure that I won't win, but it's thrilling to think there are five people and you are in the top five." — Tom Wilkinson, supporting actor nominee for "Michael Clayton."

___

"I would never cross a picket line ever. I couldn't. I'm a 20-year member of the Writers Guild. I think whatever they work out is going to be one way or the other but, no, I could never cross a picket line. I think there's a lot of people who feel that way." — Tony Gilroy, nominated for best director for "Michael Clayton."

___

"No, if there's a strike I will not go but I have a feeling they'll solve it. I hope they do. I'm sure my mom would like to see me on TV and so forth, but if there's a strike I'm not crossing the line." — Viggo Mortensen, nominated for best actor for "Eastern Promises."

___

"A nomination is a nomination and people will get a statuette at the end of the day. (But) it would be a shame if this strike persisted to the extent that the Oscars were canceled because it's a fun time, not just for those who attend but for people watching on television." — Tom Wilkinson, supporting actor nominee for "Michael Clayton."

___

"I don't think you can postpone it, it's not like a wedding. They're saying it's going to happen. If they throw the party, if they open the door, I'm going to go." — Lianne Halfon, one of the producers of best-picture nominee "Juno."

___

"We're dealing with contingencies but we're thrusting ahead. The point is, we're going to have a show, and we're going to give these incredible artists what they're due. We're going to present the Oscars on Feb. 24, and that is the important thing. Artists are giving their fellow artists a one-time event in many of their entire lives." — Sid Ganis, president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

___

"I'm delighted that `There Will Be Blood' has been recognized by the Academy. These nominations are a testament to the cast and crew, who I am deeply grateful to, for their talent and collaboration. ... It's a thrill to be in this." — Paul Thomas Anderson, nominated for writer and director Oscars for "There Will Be Blood."

___

"I never imagined that I'd ever be in a position where I'd be receiving an Oscar nomination, an Academy Award nomination. It's the most exciting honor. It's going to take a while for the reality of this honor to settle in." — Seamus McGarvey, nominated for cinematography for "Atonement."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood being the two major contenders this year is fucking great. I think No Country will get more but this is still a really good year for the Academy. We need more strikes.

hedwig

this is a pretty awesome year for the oscars. i'll try not to be too pissed if no country wins. like i've said before, it's annoying because i'd be thrilled about a coen bros victory if this were any other year. oh and the other nominees can fuck off. :?

should be one goddamn helluva show. the door is wide open for the academy to redeem themsleves.. or to hammer yet another nail in the coffin. let's hope they don't fuck this up too bad.

a few minor travesties:
- sucks that greenwood's score got disqualified, that would've been 9 blood noms.
- schnabel gets best director but diving bell is snubbed in both the best picture and best foreign language categories.
- it's a shame about Zodiac being COMPLETELY IGNORED. i can't say i'm surprised, such an early release was bound to be forgotten.
- diablo cody for best screenplay... what a joke.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Hedwig on January 22, 2008, 01:16:41 PM
- schnabel gets best director but diving bell is snubbed in both the best picture and best foreign language categories.

It wasn't a contender for Best foreign language. Persepolis was the French representative.

john

I think the most immediate success this gives Blood is that, if you were still sitting on your hands waiting for this to come to your town - well, now you will most certainly get to see this in a movie theater.

Shame about Zodiac, though.

And shame about Juno.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

72teeth

Kinda bummed Brolin didnt get the nod... they're acting like Tommy Lee won't be playing this role/alive next year...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

MacGuffin

The husband-and-wife producing team of Daniel Lupi and JoAnne Sellar were in their Las Villas home watching the announcements when they saw their film "There Will Be Blood" had secured a spot on the shortlist for the top Oscar. "We had a strong feeling Daniel (Day Lewis) would get nominated but we weren't as sure about the film," Sellar said of the movie, one of two Par Vantage-Miramax collaborations to be nommed for best picture. The nom is validation of sorts for the pair, who've produced all of Paul Thomas Anderson's movies. Still, it took an extra little kick for the reality of the nom to set in. "When my mother called from England to congratulate me, that's when I really knew I could celebrate," he says.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Erickson was in the middle of a yoga session at his Vancouver apartment when his sister-in-law called him with the news. The Canadian set decorator, who was nominated along with art director Jack Fisk for "There Will Be Blood," said he never expects anything out of life, so an Oscar nod was an unexpected treat. "I've never been nominated before, so I have nothing to compare it to," he said. "To me, it's all gravy." Having already been nominated for a BAFTA and Art Director's guild of America, Erickson said an Academy Award nomination makes "There Will Be Blood" hat trick, to borrow a term from his nation's favorite pasttime, hockey. Erickson is currently working on "Watchmen" with Zack Snyder, so there won't be much time for celebration. "I've got a job to do," he said. "I'll get the set open and then I'll figure out what to wear, I guess."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We never thought anybody except our close family and friends would enjoy the movie as much as we did," said director of photography Robert Elswit, who was nominated for his rendering of "There Will Be Blood." "I didn't think it would get this much critical praise." He was happy for the whole team, citing nominations for editing and art direction. "I was disappointed about (costume designer) Mark Bridges," he said. "It's hard to pull apart the cinematography from the other things." "I owe all of this to Paul (Thomas Anderson)," he said. Elswit also was thrilled for the success of "Michael Clayton," which he also lensed. "It's so interesting; both films are about one person ... and they are completely different in their visual style," he said. Elswit was in New York on Tuesday working on helmer Tony Gilroy's next film, "Duplicity." As for the strike, he said: "Everyone who I know is out of work; we hope it will resolve itself quickly."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dylan Tichenor was in New York cutting "Doubt" when he learned of his nomination for editing "There Will Be Blood." "I'll celebrate by talking with everybody," he said. "I'm very happy. ("Blood") has gotten a ton of recognition and we are thrilled. We are happy to have been on another pretty amazing Paul Anderson movie." As for the WGA strike, he added, "I hope for everyone that things get sorted out. ... I hope everyone can get back to work. Hopefully they will be able to meet eye to eye shortly."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

i'm a little upset that this http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=9782.0 didn't make it for best doc.
Fuck Lars. Davecat forever!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

The Perineum Falcon

I really couldn't decide where to put this, as it could go in a couple of threads and seem on topic. But, I was flipping the channels last night when I saw that they were discussing the Oscar noms on CNN's Glenn Beck (they being Mr. Beck and a critic?). Their attitude toward the noms, I thought, were interesting:

BECK: Let me bring up the full screen here of the Oscar nominations. Do we have this?

You know what? I have to tell you, Mike, I heard them at, you know, 8:30 in the morning come out with these nominations. And I thought to myself, I usually don`t care about the Oscars, but I really don`t care. There`s not a picture among them that I care about.

I think that is the first time in my life that Hollywood is completely 100 percent irrelevant.

MEDVED: Well, again, the writers` strike just emphasizes that.

I thought there was a great headline today, Glenn, in "The New York Times." And it said for Oscar nominations, blood and no country lead the way. They`re talking about "There Will be Blood" and "No Country for Old Men"

But the idea that people are going to go out and say, man, I want to go see "There Will be Blood," that`s the movie for me, I mean -- or "No Country"?

This is nonsensical. And again, these are good movies. Many of them are. I thought "Atonement" was a great movie. "Juno" was actually a powerful pro-life movie and it`s nominated for best picture. But the truth of the matter is the entire idea that the world -- the sun rises and sets over who`s going to be nominated for best supporting actor, I think, has never looked less credible than it does today.

BECK: Michael, I don`t think I have ever seen any industry go from mass appeal, mainstream, to niche. It`s usually the -- everybody tries to go the other direction.

Can they reverse this at all, or do they even care? I mean...

MEDVED: Yes and no. I mean, first of all, if you take a look at the movies that really connected with the public, they tended to be sequels like "Spider-Man 3" or "Harry Potter," or even "The Pirates of the Caribbean," the sequel which I thought was lousy.

The American people still enjoy a good time at the theaters, and right now people are still going to "National Treasure," which was a great movie.

BECK: It was fantastic.

MEDVED: A delightful film.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

squints

here's fox new's john gibson making fun of a recently deceased heath ledger
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/23/gibson-mocks-ledger/

let's not go to fox news for our movie opinions.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: squints on January 25, 2008, 12:18:58 AM
here's fox new's john gibson making fun of a recently deceased heath ledger
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/23/gibson-mocks-ledger/

let's not go to fox news for our movie opinions.

You know, instead of people just complain about Fox News, we could complain to them and get him suspended. That's ridiculous and offensive on all accounts. I'll send a message to fox news.

Gamblour.

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on January 24, 2008, 07:46:19 PM
I really couldn't decide where to put this, as it could go in a couple of threads and seem on topic. But, I was flipping the channels last night when I saw that they were discussing the Oscar noms on CNN's Glenn Beck (they being Mr. Beck and a critic?). Their attitude toward the noms, I thought, were interesting:

Hahah I love that you describe this conversation as interesting. How passive aggressive, haha. The reality, and I think this is obvious, is that Glen Beck is an absolute worthless piece of shit. He's boring even in terms of his ability to be inflammatory. He's said he thinks Ann Coulter is great for stirring up debate. And obviously don't go to some douche bag with a huge pointing index finger for criticism of the arts.
WWPTAD?

modage

There Will Be Oscars
Source: Newsweek

At least we think there will be, which is why we collected these likely acting nominees for our 11th Oscar roundtable. They're a lot of fun, and they've got lots to say. Best of all: they didn't need writers.

Daniel Day-Lewis arrived a little late, but he did it in style. He was wearing a jaunty porkpie hat and a black-and-white Western shirt that looked like something swiped from Bob Dylan's closet. The result was so un-Hollywood that George Clooney, this roundtable's class clown, couldn't stop ribbing his fellow best-actor hopeful. Question: "Daniel, do you remember your first professional job?" Clooney: "It was a Western, wasn't it?" One of the delights of these annual gatherings is watching beautiful, talented, rich celebrities become just folks. James McAvoy, who stars in "Atonement," spent the time waiting to go onstage at L.A.'s Hammer Museum talking about trying to steal some wineglasses from a recent Oscar event, only to be caught by the waiter. Just before they were announced onstage, Clooney turned to Angelina Jolie and said, "Let's not go out!" She then pointed to two nonactors nearby and said, "Let's send them instead." Before long, everyone—newbies and ­supercelebs—bonded. Jolie and Marion Cotillard, the French star of "La Vie en Rose," chatted about Provence. "Juno" star Ellen Page confessed that she just got her first apartment. It's a converted brothel, and it's haunted. "My stuff keeps vanishing," she said. "Weird things, like makeup." Advice to Ellen: if you do win an Oscar, hide it. An edited transcript:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/96123/page/1

if somebody wants to post the huge interview here, please do.  there's video at the link above as well.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?