Box Office Guesstimations

Started by Banky, March 25, 2004, 08:36:12 PM

Banky

I dont know if this should be here or in Now Showing but it seemed like Everything Else would be a nice home

I have been thinking of doing this thread ever since i joined the site almost a year ago basically because i do this in my head every weekend.  In this thread you post what you think the weekend box office will be and thats pretty much it.  Somone will post the actual box office on
Sundays and it will be intresting to see how close or far people were from the results.

------------------------------------------
heres a list of last weeks totals and this weeks openings to help anyone who wants to make a guesstimation

1. Dawn of the Dead  $  27.3 Million/ New
2. The Passion of the Christ  $  19.2 Million/ $ 295.3 Million
3. Taking Lives  $  11.4 Million/ New
4. Starsky & Hutch  $  10.7 Million/ $ 67.7 Million
5. Secret Window  $   9.6 Million/ $ 33.1 Million
6. Eternal Sunshine...  $   8.6 Million/ New
7. Hidalgo  $   8.5 Million/ $  48.5 Million
8. Agent Cody Banks 2  $   6.0 Million/ $  17.3 Million
9. 50 First Dates  $   4.3 Million/ $ 113.2 Million
10. Confessions of...  $   1.5 Million/ $  27.6 Million

heres a link to a more detailed report

http://movies.yahoo.com/boxoffice/latest/rank.html

this weekends additions

Jersey Girl
Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler star in this Kevin Smith-directed romantic comedy about a father learning to raise his daughter alone after the death of her mother.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ladykillers
Tom Hanks stars in this latest movie from the Coen Bros as a conniving criminal mastermind whose latest plan requires his crew to pose as a church band.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never Die Alone
DMX stars as the kingpin of a drug empire whose life story is told in retrospect from the perspective of a reporter (David Arquette) who met him just before his death.

Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
Scooby and the Mystery Inc. gang return in this adventure in which they must investigate the reappearances of several of the creatures from the classic TV show.

heres my guess (mixed with hope)

1.  Jersey Girl                            22million
2.  The Lady Killers                    19million
3.  Dawn of the Dead                 16million
4.  The Passion                          11 million
5.  Scooby Doo                          10 million
6.  Taking Lives                          7 million
7.  Starsky and Hutch                  6.5 million
8.  Secret Window                       5 million
9.  Eternal Sunshine                    4.5 million
10. Never Die Alone                    4 million  

ive been known not to be to hot at this but thats i guess the fun in just the fun in trying to make a good guess

billybrown

I'll re-direct my box office guess for Jersey Girl to here, nevermind the fact that I posted originally the other day... 7 mill. Absolutely no shot in hell it takes in 22 million.

Stefen

I don't even see it taking 7 mill. That's generous. There really isn't anything enticing about it. Just that it's a Kevin Smith movie, which it really isn't in the traditional sense. From what I hear it's cheezy as all hell. I'll be seeing it, but not in the theater. If eternal sunshine, a good movie starring the box office gold Jim Carrey doesn't do very good, there is no way a bad movie starring Affleck is going to do much better.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

bonanzataz

yeah, banky, a kevin smith movie has never opened number one at the box office. i always hoped it would happen, but it won't with jersey girl. i don't know one person (in real life) that's excited about it. i know tons more who want to see eternal sunshine and haven't gotten around to it yet (myself).
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Banky

Quote from: taz.yeah, banky, a kevin smith movie has never opened number one at the box office

actually

http://www.imdb.com/BusinessThisDay?day=26&month=August

anyways how about some predictions come on this thread is not a damn JG thread

bonanzataz

i specifically remember being on the view askew boards on jay and silent bob's opening weekend and kevin being really pissed about opening behind american pie 2 and rush hour 2 (which had opened the week before).
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: Banky
Quote from: taz.yeah, banky, a kevin smith movie has never opened number one at the box office

actually

http://www.imdb.com/BusinessThisDay?day=26&month=August

Actually:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2001&wknd=34&p=.htm

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

hahaha I knew mac was gonna get into this discussion of box office numbers

my fault taz i thought i remembered Smith talking to jason on the JSBSB commentary about him starring in a movie that opened number one and then  i thought the imdb confirmed my thoughts but i guess that link was to movies opening that weekend.

Anyways

come on does anyone want to give a slightly detailed prediction of the weeks box office as appose to "JG WILL BOMB"

Stefen

Billy brown already did. He said 7 mil. I think it will be below that, around 5 or 6 mil. it may have legs though but not for long.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Banky

i was thinking about predictions more along the lines of this

Quote from: Banky

1.  Jersey Girl                            22million
2.  The Lady Killers                    19million
3.  Dawn of the Dead                 16million
4.  The Passion                          11 million
5.  Scooby Doo                          10 million
6.  Taking Lives                          7 million
7.  Starsky and Hutch                  6.5 million
8.  Secret Window                       5 million
9.  Eternal Sunshine                    4.5 million
10. Never Die Alone                    4 million  

Stefen

Thats too much work. But just because you asked nicely.

1. Dawn of The dead - 17 million.
2. Passion - 15.7 million
3. Ladykillers - 14 mil
4. Scooby Doo - 13.7
5. Starsky - 7 mil
6. Secret window 5.4
7. Jersey Girl - 5 mil
8. Eternal Sunshine - 4.9 mil
9. Taking Lives - doesn't matter.

Weak2ndAct

Quit molesting my avatar.

PS: If JG breaks 10 for the weekend, consider me fucking flabbergasted.

Julius Orange

1. Titanic 90 hundred dollars
2. Elligga Wood 100 dollars

Thanks
email your opinnumber to NEW EMAIL juliusorange@gmail.com

billybrown

I'll do Top 5 cuz Top 10 is wayyyy tooo much...

Scooby 2 - 22M
Dawn- 15 M
Passion- 14.5 M
Ladykillers- 13.5 M
Starsky / Jersey- 7 M

* Note: I've re-adjusted my numbers again... I didn't realize what a money maker the first Scooby Doo was.

pete

Quote from: Julius Orange1. Titanic 90 hundred dollars
2. Elligga Wood 100 dollars

Thanks

elliga please.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton